5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto sound

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a 2023 and was stoked about wireless Android auto. Trouble is streaming music seems muffled...lower quality. In my 2020 I always had to plug into USB and them stream from Tidal which is all HD music. Everything sounded fine. In the 2023 it sounds like and not HD quality. Is that because of wirless...do I need USB to get good sound from streaming? The Sirius from the head unit sounds great...what changed?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good question...I haven't tried that yet. I mean I put the wire in but don't think it overrode the wireless feature 🤣 haven't had a ton of free time since I picked it up but I will try that tomorrow...shutoff wifi first.

beetlespin

Reaction score
I use the wireless and I think it sounds really good. The Android definately sounds better than Sirius. Even the wife can tell the difference in quality. We use the free version of Pandora.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just use BT as I hate Android Auto and it's sounds perfect.
If if sounds terrible you are lilkely sending audio over over the voice stream which would make it sound tinny like a really old cell phone. More of a problem with bluetooth devices that change from media to voice streams, voice being a poorer quality rate. More common BT headphones to Windows devices not Android (which the head unit is)

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ok so I tried again this morning using a wired connection...no improvement. The volume is definitely lower and more subdued...I flip to Sirius and BOOM the sound is coming out loud and hitting all the speakers. Flip back to Android Auto and sound and to me sound quality in the speakers takes a hit. I was driving into work and had to take a call so didn't try just straight bluetooth yet. I am sure sound from Android Auto or Bluetooth was not a concern in my 2020.

smashweights

Reaction score
Each input source has different volumes. Nav vs radio vs Bluetooth vs AA. Check your audio settings too. For mein my 2019 with HK Spotify premium sounds better with AA than Bluetooth. I don't have wireless AA. I used to use Bluetooth all the time for convenience but now I just plug in for AA audio

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did check the independent volumes buy will look again. This is a significant difference not just a slight nuance. Maybe I can grab a video of the difference

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know my Ipod has a setting, that when it connects by bluetooth, automatically lowers the volume. I have to override it to get full volume.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Considering that the latest phones have integrated Android auto now, no more separate app, I notice the sound has improved.

I use the Motorola wireless dongle and it still sounds high quality, better than terrestrial FM and just as good as my MP3 audio.

I run my YouTube Music in my truck and love it. I will never go back to Sirius radio.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Have you checked your equalizer settings on your phone? Changing those can make a huge difference.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you checked your equalizer settings on your phone? Changing those can make a huge difference.
No I don't even think I have ever looked at that setting before. Lol! It will be on my shortlist for troubleshooting

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So after work today I get in the truck and same as always the volume and tone is just low and muffled. I look for EQ settings on my phone and what do you k ow there they are. Lol! I am set to ROCK...i change to NORMAL and what do you know the sound changed for the better!! Cycled through all of them and yep each made a noticeable change. I have no idea why this was not really an issue with the stock radio in my 2020 but ROCK sounded awful on the HK19. I am sticking with NORMAL until I have time to play around with custom. I flipped between NORMAL listening to Tidal streaming and Sirius and yeah Sirius seemed a bit tinny caparatively. Not horrible but not as full.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So after work today I get in the truck and same as always the volume and tone is just low and muffled. I look for EQ settings on my phone and what do you k ow there they are. Lol! I am set to ROCK...i change to NORMAL and what do you know the sound changed for the better!! Cycled through all of them and yep each made a noticeable change. I have no idea why this was not really an issue with the stock radio in my 2020 but ROCK sounded awful on the HK19. I am sticking with NORMAL until I have time to play around with custom. I flipped between NORMAL listening to Tidal streaming and Sirius and yeah Sirius seemed a bit tinny caparatively. Not horrible but not as full.

Good to hear you were able to work it out. Also, make sure your music volume on the phone is setup correctly as well, the system also takes the phones music volume setting into consideration.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't believe I had a thread on this I feel like a dummy. Lol! Lots of great input and advice...thanks to everyone..sometimes you just need extra eyes to see the obvious.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Don't worry about it, you won't be the only one who runs into this, and this thread will hopefully be found and used to help them with their issue as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Take your time and go through the equalizer while you listen to whatever music you like and get it right. Go right to left 3 times then never worry about it again.
If you can save a preset, give it a name like Ram.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take your time and go through the equalizer while you listen to whatever music you like and get it right. Go right to left 3 times then never worry about it again.
If you can save a preset, give it a name like Ram.
I like this idea...thank you. Weekend project for sure

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I can't believe I had a thread on this I feel like a dummy. Lol! Lots of great input and advice...thanks to everyone..sometimes you just need extra eyes to see the obvious.
Ah man, don't feel like a dummy! It took me forever to figure out 1) why my stereo sounded like crap, and once I figured that out.... B) how to get it tuned juuuust right. I'm glad you got it figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread