5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto navigation night mode?

husbus

Reaction score
I'm using Android Auto with Waze (or Google Maps) and can't find a way to make it use night mode for the map (black background). It's blindingly bright. I have a Samsung S20. Does it work for anyone else?

RonnieJalomo

Reaction score
I'm using Android Auto with Waze (or Google Maps) and can't find a way to make it use night mode for the map (black background). It's blindingly bright. I have a Samsung S20. Does it work for anyone else?
Might just be the settings on ur phone mine automatically goes into night mode

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you set Waze & Google Maps to night (or auto) mode in the settings? I generally have my phone set for dark mode anyway, but I've never had a problem with my old Note 9 or current S21 Ultra not being in the correct light/dark mode in the car with AA.
Screenshot_20210318-002802_Maps.jpg Screenshot_20210318-002609_Waze.jpg

husbus

Reaction score
Looks the same as my settings. Strange, but good to know it should work, so I'll keep messing with it. Thanks!

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks the same as my settings. Strange, but good to know it should work, so I'll keep messing with it. Thanks!
Is your dimmer control on the dash set all the way up to the max brightness detent? If it is that will override the night settings for the apps on your phone and use the bright 'day' background.

husbus

Reaction score
Is your dimmer control on the dash set all the way up to the max brightness detent? If it is that will override the night settings for the apps on your phone and use the bright 'day' background.
Interesting, thanks. I'll try that as soon as I get a chance.

Jim N

Reaction score
This worked for me

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned, make sure your dimmer switch isn't all the way up to lock the display on bright. Mine automatically switches to night time when auto headlights come on. Which with windshield tint sometimes comes on too early so I roll the switch up to get screem bright again

husbus

Reaction score
Thanks guys, this was the solution! One other little point of trickiness: I use the truck for towing, and I keep the headlights in manual ON position during the day, to keep the camera on the back of the trailer powered (it runs off the circuit for the lights). That basically forces the dash dimmer to night mode, which then forces you to turn it to max brightness, which then forces the map into day mode, somewhat ironically. ;) Confusing when you don't know about it. Similar to how the seat belt affects the operation of the parking brake.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not tricky at all. That's how it's supposed to work

Drummond73

Reaction score
I fixed this issue with Samsung S20 by opening AA app while disconnected from vehicle & going to settings menu. In settings there is a Day/Night mode for maps, make your changes there.

Syndrome6

Reaction score
Locate Android Auto app on your phone, usually by going to your phone settings/apps section/locate and press on Android Auto app to open app info settings screen. Next look for the option "additional settings in the app" and open it, you should now be taken to AA app settings. Look for "day/night mode for apps" open it and select "night", exit app and try it out on your vehicle. Keep in mind these directions are precise for OnePlus running Android 10 or 11. Menu sequence and naming convention may vary slightly from oem to oem

Users who are viewing this thread