5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto & Media Box

MLB12

Reaction score
so, in a nutshell, what benefits does Android Auto have for me if I enable it in my 2021 DT equipped with 2022 UConnect 5?

All input and comments will be appreciated.

Further to this what have people on the Forum been buying and installing for media boxes, ie OttoCast, The Nifty Box, and so on. As I have the UConnect 5 most of the most common boxes won't work with the UConnect 5 because of wireless Android Auto feature, as opposed to all the earlier Infotainment systmes having wired AA.

Thoughts, experiences, and the like.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
so, in a nutshell, what benefits does Android Auto have for me if I enable it in my 2021 DT equipped with 2022 UConnect 5?

All input and comments will be appreciated.

Further to this what have people on the Forum been buying and installing for media boxes, ie OttoCast, The Nifty Box, and so on. As I have the UConnect 5 most of the most common boxes won't work with the UConnect 5 because of wireless Android Auto feature, as opposed to all the earlier Infotainment systmes having wired AA.

Thoughts, experiences, and the like.
First if you have UC5, you should post in the UC5 area and not the UC4 area. Second, AA gives you the ability to use different navigation apps (Waze, Google, etc), stream audio (music, podcasts, etc), and use apps from your phone all from a single interface. The maps will be up to date always, well, as long as you have internet service.

As far as media boxes, I don't have any experience with that. But UC5 supports both wired and wireless AA.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Android Auto is an app on an Android device that allows you to use apps that are designed for a car layout in your trucks screen on HALF of the screen, top or bottom. Apps like music players GPS etc, things like Youtube will not work as most other apps.

uConnect5 supports wireless AND wired carplay.

The media boxes are Android devices like an Amazon fire stick that runs regular Android but connects to the head unit with USB and spoofs APPLE CARPLAY to give you full screen. From the box you can run almost any app (sometimes you need to load outside of the play store to get them working such as Netflix and Youtube). Most of these boxes also support some kind of phone mirroring like miracast which allow you to mirror your phone's screen (fullscreen, because the hardwired device is APPLE CARPLAY vs just connecting with your phone via AA.

This is the box I have, got it as a party trick and never really use it as my truck has nav and I connect with Bluetooth for music but if I ever want to watch youtube or whatever on my truck I can (need to connect to box to my phone's hotspot unless you install a pay for a sim card for it)

MLB12

Reaction score
First if you have UC5, you should post in the UC5 area and not the UC4 area. Second, AA gives you the ability to use different navigation apps (Waze, Google, etc), stream audio (music, podcasts, etc), and use apps from your phone all from a single interface. The maps will be up to date always, well, as long as you have internet service.

As far as media boxes, I don't have any experience with that. But UC5 supports both wired and wireless AA.
DARN!!! I must have hit the wrong button-thanks for pointing this out.

Also, thanks for your insight into AA, I'm trying to make an informed decision towards trying it out, or not!

Users who are viewing this thread