5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android auto & GPS

Newguy

Reaction score
Hi. First thread here. I'm wondering if the unconnect 8.4 without nav has a GPS receiver that is used when android auto is used (android auto sometimes uses car GPS?) or does the RAM only have GPS on nav models? I know when I bought the truck the finance guy located the truck via GPS to sell me some kind of aftermarket extended warranty that I didn't buy, but wondering if they used a factory installed GPS to locate or if it was aftermarket. My issue is that the truck seems to think I'm in the Sierra mountains sometimes when I'm on the other side of my state and android auto won't override to the right location until a half hour later, or never during some trips. When I unplug my cell phone, Google maps correctly recenters to my position, then when I plug back in the truck I'm in the wrong location. Thud happens about half the time. Anyone have any detailed knowledge of 8.4 uconnect without nav and if they have a GPS receiver on the truck? Thanks!

CCryder500

Reaction score
I think there is a TSB out about this issue. check the TSB forum thread. There is a software update that fixes it.

CarRamRod

Reaction score
I cannot confirm whether uConnect without NAV has a GPS receiver, but I would highly doubt it. Android Auto will use the GPS antennae if the application is designed to do so. For instance, Google Maps is said to use the car GPS antennae while Waze does not. So maybe try using Waze for navigation and see if it resolves your issue, or look into the software update TSB that CCryder mentioned.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi. First thread here. I'm wondering if the unconnect 8.4 without nav has a GPS receiver that is used when android auto is used (android auto sometimes uses car GPS?) or does the RAM only have GPS on nav models? I know when I bought the truck the finance guy located the truck via GPS to sell me some kind of aftermarket extended warranty that I didn't buy, but wondering if they used a factory installed GPS to locate or if it was aftermarket. My issue is that the truck seems to think I'm in the Sierra mountains sometimes when I'm on the other side of my state and android auto won't override to the right location until a half hour later, or never during some trips. When I unplug my cell phone, Google maps correctly recenters to my position, then when I plug back in the truck I'm in the wrong location. Thud happens about half the time. Anyone have any detailed knowledge of 8.4 uconnect without nav and if they have a GPS receiver on the truck? Thanks!
If your dealer located you via GPS, you are being tracked and most likely via a dealer added GPS module. I find that kind of creapy. There is another thread that talks about dealers installing GPS trackers on vehicles they sell and then selling the oener's location habits in much the same way that Apple and Google sell user's data....privacy be damned.

Newguy

Reaction score
As an update, I disconnected the battery for a good amount of time and now my GPS and compass are reading correctly so far. You think that dealership would have tried that when they had my truck twice. Just happy it's working in the meantime. I have some other TSB I need to do, so I'll be on the lookout for this one. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread