5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto full screen?

Kizzo02

Reaction score
On the other hand, I’d recommend caution/skepticism if you’re thinking this will be an instant fix. Look at the years of teething problems some of us have experienced (I’ve been lucky). It may take some time to get UConnect 5 to a good place.

Agreed. I do recommend caution. The first year will definitely have some bugs, but thankfully it is based on Android OS, which is a proven platform and not their own in-house developed OS.

It's not happening. Turns out that was a beta model for the 2021 models.

It seems that is definitely the case.

Last edited:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm trying this now, sounds complicated but it really isn't. I selected my google map route on my phone, clicked share directions, found Uconnect and clicked share route. If it works, that's an acceptable process to me and allows for the full 12" map.

Nice! I didn't know you could share a whole route, versus just a destination. Thanks for sharing (lol).

Neokane

Reaction score
I am a little upset that we cant get the new split screen Android auto on the 12" screen.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Even on the new 2022 Uconnect 5 with wireless Android Auto there is not possibility to have it full screen.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score

bradleyr001

Reaction score
Any updates to being able to utilize the full 12" of screen real estate with AA? Seems like such a waste and has been a complaint since 12" screens have been available, can it really be that hard to fix?

Reactions: Lug

fire23south

Reaction score
Is there a way to get Android Auto to display using the full screen on the 12" Uconnect?

I feel like I'm just being dense, but I could only get it to display in split screen mode.

It's really just idle curiosity, though. Unless/until FCA makes wireless Android Auto work for Screen Projection (or whatever they call it), I can't see using AA very much. I can stream music from my phone through the Uconnect just fine over Bluetooth.

I think it would be nice, though, to have Google Maps for Nav, and be using the whole screen for it. At least when using that, I can tap the Microphone button on the screen and use voice to find where I want to go....
For the music portion, yes you can. When you have the split screen and music playing, click on the media circle at the bottom. Turns full for music. Haven't tried it for anything else.

Waveslayer

Reaction score
Resurrecting this, anyone know how to get full screen for AA? It's annoying it's just half.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supposedly the new version of Android Auto will allow full screen, but I think it's still in beta version right now

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I watched some video reviews of UConnect 5 today. It looks to me like UConnect 5 supports wireless Android Auto and CarPlay AND it now supports using them full screen.

I was also surprised to see that you can configure the screen on the 12" a bunch of different ways. You can have it split top and bottom like UConnect 4 works now. But, you can also split the top and/or bottom in half side to side.

E.g. you could have 2 windows side by side on the top and one full width window on the bottom. Or vice versa. Or have a total of 4 windows, each taking a quarter of the screen.

Also, the Nav in UConnect 5 is now apparently provided by TomTom(?). It will be interesting to see if it's good enough to displace my current desire to use Google Maps or Waze on my phone (or via Android Auto).

If the built-in Nav is good enough, then that and the fact that I can stream music from my phone without needing to run Android Auto means it might turn out that I never use Android Auto, even though it now supports wireless.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
do you have a link to the video. I've think I saw a review on the new update for Android Auto or it was Android 13. Forgot.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I watched some video reviews of UConnect 5 today. It looks to me like UConnect 5 supports wireless Android Auto and CarPlay AND it now supports using them full screen.

I was also surprised to see that you can configure the screen on the 12" a bunch of different ways. You can have it split top and bottom like UConnect 4 works now. But, you can also split the top and/or bottom in half side to side.

E.g. you could have 2 windows side by side on the top and one full width window on the bottom. Or vice versa. Or have a total of 4 windows, each taking a quarter of the screen.

Also, the Nav in UConnect 5 is now apparently provided by TomTom(?). It will be interesting to see if it's good enough to displace my current desire to use Google Maps or Waze on my phone (or via Android Auto).

If the built-in Nav is good enough, then that and the fact that I can stream music from my phone without needing to run Android Auto means it might turn out that I never use Android Auto, even though it now supports wireless.
I have UC5 and Nav. I keep the Nav on the home screen top, because I like the look of the map and seeing the areas around where I'm driving, but when I need I need to use navigation it's Google maps. OE does a good job IF it can find my POI.

Full screen AA would be nice, but I honestly don't care either way.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, it's coming. Google "Android Auto Coolwalk", it should pull some useful info. Supposed to be ready before the end of the summer but with Google's software engineers, who knows. Could hit next week and be awesome, could hit in December and be jank lol.

I'm looking forward to it though. I thought it would be cool to have the top half as AA, and the bottom half as some Uconnect controls, but the "widgets" Uconnect lets you put there are so limited it's basically useless.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I would love to have the option to have full screen AA or have 2 apps of AA underneath each other. Waze on top half, music app or other car-related AA app on bottom half.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have UC5 and Nav. I keep the Nav on the home screen top, because I like the look of the map and seeing the areas around where I'm driving, but when I need I need to use navigation it's Google maps. OE does a good job IF it can find my POI.

Full screen AA would be nice, but I honestly don't care either way.

So, when you use Google Maps, it works with Android Auto, so you can see it on the UC5 screen right? Can you have Google Maps show full screen on the UC5?

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, when you use Google Maps, it works with Android Auto, so you can see it on the UC5 screen right? Can you have Google Maps show full screen on the UC5?
Yes, I use Google Maps with Android Auto, but it is not full screen. I have Maps on top and audio on bottom.

I can only use factory Nav in full screen.

Also, just FYI... If you hold the voice button on the wheel down for a few seconds you can use voice commands for Google Maps.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I use Google Maps with Android Auto, but it is not full screen. I have Maps on top and audio on bottom.

I can only use factory Nav in full screen.

Also, just FYI... If you hold the voice button on the wheel down for a few seconds you can use voice commands for Google Maps.

Is there a way to find your desired destination in Maps and then "share" it to the factory Nav to guide you there?

I know I can do that on my phone now (with UC in my '19). I find it in Maps and then do Share (on my Android phone) to UConnect. After a minute or so it pops up on my UC screen and asks if I want to go there.

That's handy, but not as cool as if you could do it all on the UC unit itself (from Maps running in AA on UC directly to factory Nav - without having to go through the UC cloud). It would be nice to not need to ever touch my phone to get a POI from Maps to the factory Nav. And, of course, also would be nice to not have to pay for a UC subscription to have that capability...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/