5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto Doesn't Automatically Connect (and other such quirks).

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I'll start by mentioning, I JUST discovered the volume and skip buttons behind the steering wheel. Boy, was I upset I couldn't control my music except by touching the screen.

I have the 8.4" Uconnect, since I prefer having more buttons and dials. Here's what I'm still trying to figure out.

1. Wireless:
AA has been a little quirky for me. At first I had to connect my phone each time to get android auto to work, further complicated by the issue that my phone's charging port is not great.
Eventually, I discovered on my phone: Settings > Bluetooth > Android Auto > Connect a Car > Ram > Connect Using Wireless Android Auto.
Once I run through that full list, the phone will establish a WiFi direct connection and everything works perfect.
Problem is, I have to do that entire list EVERY TIME I start the truck, and there is no shortcut on my phone, I can't even create a direct widget shortcut.

2. Music Dropout:
Every so often, the music player (Amazon Music) will stop playing. Waze will work, I'll still get audio from Waze, I'll still get Notification sounds, too.
Amazon Music shows it's playing, it's even counting and advancing through the tracks, but no music.
I will quickly cycle the power button on the radio and everything goes back to normal.

3. Surround Parking View:
I have the 4-camera system, which is really nice for precise parking. It comes on automatically in reverse and I even set up a favorite on my home screen.
I also like using it when I'm parking forward, get every inch out of my parking space.
Surround camera doesn't automatically come on at low speeds (nor do I want it to), but even the on-screen shortcut is clunky to get to.
Is there a physical button I can map to turn on my surround camera at any time?

4. 3 Chimes:
I keep searching and I keep finding "3 Honks." When I'm driving at low speeds, no one and nothing around me, I sometimes hear 3 double-chimes coming from the dash.
I feel like it has something to do with the parking or proximity sensors, but there's no indication or messages. It's not a phone notification or seatbelt warning.
I'll try to get a video off my dash cam.

Thanks.

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I have a 19 ram limited and I've never heard chimes similar to that...is there no notification lights in your dashboard cluster when this happens?

Big Gunz

Reaction score
I have a 19 ram limited and I've never heard chimes similar to that...is there no notification lights in your dashboard cluster when this happens
I have a 19 ram limited and I've never heard chimes similar to that...is there no notification lights in your dashboard cluster when this happens?
I have the 5.7 etorque so maybe a newer ecodiesel has different notification sounds..

56 Pontiac

Reaction score
I'll start by mentioning, I JUST discovered the volume and skip buttons behind the steering wheel. Boy, was I upset I couldn't control my music except by touching the screen.

I have the 8.4" Uconnect, since I prefer having more buttons and dials. Here's what I'm still trying to figure out.

1. Wireless:
AA has been a little quirky for me. At first I had to connect my phone each time to get android auto to work, further complicated by the issue that my phone's charging port is not great.
Eventually, I discovered on my phone: Settings > Bluetooth > Android Auto > Connect a Car > Ram > Connect Using Wireless Android Auto.
Once I run through that full list, the phone will establish a WiFi direct connection and everything works perfect.
Problem is, I have to do that entire list EVERY TIME I start the truck, and there is no shortcut on my phone, I can't even create a direct widget shortcut.

I have had those up/down buttons quit working, then on a later day, they worked again ...

I had to make sure Google Maps was not enabled on phone or truck, only way my Android Auto would work every time w/ no problems.

Sorry I cannot help with your other concerns.

Dave

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I've owned it for a month now, I have a solution to most of the quirks:

1. Wireless Android Auto:
-It seems it's mostly based on what phone you own. My V60 simply doesn't like to auto-connect. I've heard that most Samsung and Pixel owners have no issues.
-Best solution: In my phone, I go to Settings -> Connections -> Android Auto before I start the car. It seems to "Prepare" the phone for a WiFi connection.
-If that fails: In my phone, I'll additionally tap Connect and Connect to Wireless AA.

2. Music Drop-Out:
-I think it has something to do with the Google or Ram voice function. It's rare, but I sometimes have no music audio, even when nav audio still works.
-Best solution: I also think it's phone-related. I simply hit the power button on the radio real quick, off and back on. Audio returns.
-If that fails: Google voice probably activated somewhere in my phone. Exit all apps.

-I really would like to have a quick physical button that turns on my 360° Cameras, but I don't think that's ever going to be possible.
-Best Solution: I've added a favorites button to the home screen, although I never really use the home screen for anything but that.

4. 3-Chimes (in video):
-The system is warning me that I'm approaching a red-light camera. It's built into U-connect, it will do it even when my phone is not connected.
-Even though that light doesn't have a red-light cam, I believe it did at one point. I'm warned when approaching from all 4 directions.

5. Volume knob adjusts Notification Volume, not Media Volume on AA.
-When I turn the knob or use the volume on the steering wheel, I cannot raise or lower music volume. The AA screen shows a volume bar for Notifications.
-Best solution: I haven't tried, but it has something to do with the in-car voice assistant. Supposedly if you press the voice button on the steering wheel, it will reset.
-If that fails: I've only had it once, but it went away the next time I drove the car, so full shut-down and disconnect. Resetting the radio/AA did not work.

610SRTGang

Reaction score
I've owned it for a month now, I have a solution to most of the quirks:

1. Wireless Android Auto:
-It seems it's mostly based on what phone you own. My V60 simply doesn't like to auto-connect. I've heard that most Samsung and Pixel owners have no issues.
-Best solution: In my phone, I go to Settings -> Connections -> Android Auto before I start the car. It seems to "Prepare" the phone for a WiFi connection.
-If that fails: In my phone, I'll additionally tap Connect and Connect to Wireless AA.

2. Music Drop-Out:
-I think it has something to do with the Google or Ram voice function. It's rare, but I sometimes have no music audio, even when nav audio still works.
-Best solution: I also think it's phone-related. I simply hit the power button on the radio real quick, off and back on. Audio returns.
-If that fails: Google voice probably activated somewhere in my phone. Exit all apps.

-I really would like to have a quick physical button that turns on my 360° Cameras, but I don't think that's ever going to be possible.
-Best Solution: I've added a favorites button to the home screen, although I never really use the home screen for anything but that.

4. 3-Chimes (in video):
-The system is warning me that I'm approaching a red-light camera. It's built into U-connect, it will do it even when my phone is not connected.
-Even though that light doesn't have a red-light cam, I believe it did at one point. I'm warned when approaching from all 4 directions.

5. Volume knob adjusts Notification Volume, not Media Volume on AA.
-When I turn the knob or use the volume on the steering wheel, I cannot raise or lower music volume. The AA screen shows a volume bar for Notifications.
-Best solution: I haven't tried, but it has something to do with the in-car voice assistant. Supposedly if you press the voice button on the steering wheel, it will reset.
-If that fails: I've only had it once, but it went away the next time I drove the car, so full shut-down and disconnect. Resetting the radio/AA did not work.
I have a pixel and it doesn't like to do the text message assistant and also doesn't let my phone disconnect when i turn it off from my phone.

Only my left audio controls will sometimes work, sometimes they do nothing, sometimes they chance the source by the up and down arrow.

btw - How does the base radio not have the activation by voice. it seems silly that all the other radios do it but not the standard 8.4...

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
btw - How does the base radio not have the activation by voice. it seems silly that all the other radios do it but not the standard 8.4...
What do you mean activation by voice? Like "Hey Ram"? I have that turned off in the settings. My singing tends to activate it. :censored:

I don't have the base radio, so I don't know. I have the U-Connect 8.4" which has all the same features as the 12", but without all that screen.

610SRTGang

Reaction score
What do you mean activation by voice? Like "Hey Ram"? I have that turned off in the settings. My singing tends to activate it. :censored:

I don't have the base radio, so I don't know. I have the U-Connect 8.4" which has all the same features as the 12", but without all that screen.
Yes that is exactly what I mean.

Mine is just the standard 8.4 no nav

Bigbags85

Reaction score

1. Wireless:

2. Music Dropout:
Every so often, the music player (Amazon Music) will stop playing. Waze will work, I'll still get audio from Waze, I'll still get Notification sounds, too.
Amazon Music shows it's playing, it's even counting and advancing through the tracks, but no music.
I will quickly cycle the power button on the radio and everything goes back to normal.

I have the 4-camera system, which is really nice for precise parking. It comes on automatically in reverse and I even set up a favorite on my home screen.
I also like using it when I'm parking forward, get every inch out of my parking space.
Surround camera doesn't automatically come on at low speeds (nor do I want it to), but even the on-screen shortcut is clunky to get to.
Is there a physical button I can map to turn on my surround camera at any time?

4. 3 Chimes:
I keep searching and I keep finding "3 Honks." When I'm driving at low speeds, no one and nothing around me, I sometimes hear 3 double-chimes coming from the dash.
I feel like it has something to do with the parking or proximity sensors, but there's no indication or messages. It's not a phone notification or seatbelt warning.
I'll try to get a video off my dash cam.

Thanks.
My music does the same thing when using amazon. Sometimes if I pause/unpause sound will come back. Other times I have to close Amazon music and launch it again. I'll have to try this power button method. Other times my phone will randomly say it lost connection and then reconnect a few secons later.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
My music does the same thing when using amazon. Sometimes if I pause/unpause sound will come back. Other times I have to close Amazon music and launch it again. I'll have to try this power button method. Other times my phone will randomly say it lost connection and then reconnect a few secons later.
Same, I'm using Amazon Music. Perhaps it's just linked to the Amazon app. Yea, try the power button, really quick off and on seems to get my sound back.

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Yes that is exactly what I mean.

Mine is just the standard 8.4 no nav
I've owned, I think 5 vehicles with some form of built-in voice control. I don't think I've ever used any of them outside of the first day of ownership. I think I did use it for a single command in one of my BMWs, but only because it took too long to get to the screen through the menus. As far as voice activation, that's just another annoyance when the car suddenly thinks it heard the activation word.

I have a bunch of Echo Dots around the house, I've pretty much gotten used to calling her "the ***** in a box." I don't dare speak her name unless I need something. Of course, I also live with an Alexa, Melissa, and Eliza, so things get a little out of hand.

1500Bear

Reaction score
Does anybody else ever have this volume control issue with Android Auto...I've had this issue since the day I got the truck in 2019 and multiple AA updates have not yet resolved it...I also can't find much mention of it on AA forums so maybe it's a Uconnect/RAM specific (or me specific!) glitch....

When listening to SiriusXM radio or FM radio (not an Android Audio Source) AND using Android Auto for navigation (Waze or Google maps but mostly Google maps) the music volume is good, a nav instruction comes up so AA drops the music volume and announces the nav instruction (example: "Turn left ahead")...and then FAILS to restore the music to normal volume. When things work correctly the volume of the music goes back to where it was pre-nav prompt. But sometimes it glitches and the music stays low. When this happens the volume knob and steering wheel vol controls now control the nav prompt volume vs music volume so basically AA + Uconnect is stuck in nav prompt mode. There are 2 ways to fix this: (1) wait for the next nav prompt which usually resolves the volume issue (b) power button off the radio, power back on. Not a big deal when you are in town and next nav prompt is 3 blocks away...not ideal when you're driving out west and the next turn is 300 miles down the road haha.

Any ideas/insight is welcome. Thanks

St-na

Reaction score
I noted when I wake up my phone from st-by mode it connects to wifi automatically, otherwise not always. Never had problems to connect to wired Android auto.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the U-Connect 8.4" which has all the same features as the 12", but without all that screen.
My 12 inch has a button to activate 360 degree camera, so maybe not "all" the features lol.
1669938212919.png

others have reported that is a red light camera notification
supposedly it can be turned off in the uconnect
A red light camera? No feature I ever heard of LOL.

For the audio dropping out I know my radio sometimes will not allow my phone to play audio. I'm using Bluetooth not AA.
I need to reconnect the audio connection, I don't need a complete disconnect from Bluetooth. It seems the radio is sending some messed up audio signals and the phone doesn't know how to handle it. Hitting play causes the music to instantly pause without actually playing. Removing the audio connection via BT allows the radio to reset it's connection as it doesn't see an audio source (but the phone is still connected to the head unit). I wonder if it's all related somehow.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
My 12 inch has a button to activate 360 degree camera, so maybe not "all" the features lol.
View attachment 145057

A red light camera? No feature I ever heard of LOL.
see post three

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
see post three
I have never heard it and I have a 2022 Limited and I use my Nav several times a week.
Ill take a look and see if I can find the screen as no one took a picture of said option.

It beeps when you arrive at a red light? I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread