5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An END to the Door-Pull-Pinch-Of-Death tyranny!

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Whoever designed the Door Lock Pulls should be drawn and quartered. Three passengers i've had (wife, sister and elderly man) all now have the same "bite-mark" from where the auto-lock door pull goes down after a few moments and pinches arm skin with it, causing bleeding and scars. I know I am not alone.

I happen to have come away unscathed because I sit slightly closer to the steering wheel.

1 - Unscrew door pull. It unscrews.
2 - Plug with appropriate sized plastic plug found at your local hardware store in the fastener section. I bought 3 different sizes, mixed in a bag so im not sure in the end which size fit.

Thats it.

Capture.PNG

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Whoever designed the Door Lock Pulls should be drawn and quartered. Three passengers i've had (wife, sister and elderly man) all now have the same "bite-mark" from where the auto-lock door pull goes down after a few moments and pinches arm skin with it, causing bleeding and scars. I know I am not alone.

I happen to have come away unscathed because I sit slightly closer to the steering wheel.

1 - Unscrew door pull. It unscrews.
2 - Plug with appropriate sized plastic plug found at your local hardware store in the fastener section. I bought 3 different sizes, mixed in a bag so im not sure in the end which size fit.

Thats it.

View attachment 111059
Safe to say that I’ve never experienced this in three years of ownership. Same with passengers. :unsure:

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I've always wondered why they continue to put the door lock pins/pegs in modern cars. Once they went to a bullet style (back in the '80s), the trick of using the coat hanger to 'lasso' the peg and lift to unlock isn't really feasible anymore. All they really seem to do is let would-be thieves know if the doors are unlocked or not.

I think that's a great idea, MishMash.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
I've never heard of this happening but I suppose catfish belly arms are a prerequisite.
Not really. My wife is fit as a fiddle. No arm sag. Does not matter though, as its obvious by some of the other responses here I am not alone.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
Safe to say that I’ve never experienced this in three years of ownership. Same with passengers. :unsure:
Great! I also have to assume your seats are positioned forward enough of the locks to not have your arm rest near or over. Based on the responses here, I am not alone.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My seat is set pretty far back. I can see this happening if I ever drove with my windows down and my arm hanging out the window. But I keep them up year-round except when at the drive-thru's LOL. Nice solution MishMash. I'm also wondering why they're even there. It's not like you can even grip them enough to pull them up when the doors are locked. I suppose you can push them down to lock them, but I just use the button on the door handle. Or the lock button on the fob.

echristi

Reaction score
That is awesome! Great idea - I was just going to remove mine and leave the hole. As a driver I have never had this happen but multiple passengers have been bitten by this

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only reason I see the manual lock levers still being in vehicles is if you ever got into an accident and lost battery power. Other than that they don’t serve much purpose.

MishMashRAM1500

Reaction score
The only reason I see the manual lock levers still being in vehicles is if you ever got into an accident and lost battery power. Other than that they don’t serve much purpose.
I've left my driver side door pull in place for this very reason but also because of where I sit. I am just forward of full back setting so my arm just misses the "door viper"

Users who are viewing this thread