5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AmpPro 3 Band EQ Findings

jsampsell

Reaction score
I have the ANC bypass, and there is no way I'd ever use it permanently, as it defeats my purpose of purchasing the RAM, which is a quiet ride, and I don't want anything to interfere with it. I used the PAC in my previous system with the sub unplugged and it was flawless. The ANC continued to take care of the unwanted noises without interfering with the audio system, just as it should. The ANC bypass shouldn't have any affect on the output signal of the PAC because the PAC cleans up the signal and sends a clean and flat signal to the aftermarket amp as the voltage level you select. So I'm not sure what's going on in your case with the gain being different with and without the PAC, that makes no sense to me, but it is what it is.
I didn't want to use the ANC bypass for the very same reason. However, I was curious to see if there was as much of a difference as I had read other users say there was. I couldn't really explain what I was experiencing so I figured it would help in my process of elimination and education.

Interestingly, I really don't notice that much difference in cabin noise with the ANC bypassed. I had read others say that it was a lot louder so I was worried that I was compromising the noise cancellation for audio performance. Honestly, at least in my truck, I don't hear that much of a difference. And I haven't added any sound dampening or deadening material at all. In my case, if there isn't a noticeable difference, I don't have a problem with keeping it bypassed. At least if I ever wanted it back, it's just a harness that is easy to take out.

I am aware that the PAC provides a clean 20-20 signaI so I agree that it doesn't make sense you why I experienced a difference in the gains after installing the bypass harness. I am no pro and have only what I have read from other people's experience as reference for my guess but it seems like it could be that the ANC system was picking up the additional output from my aftermarket amp and subs and treating it similarly to road/exterior noise. I set my gains with the truck running and the windows up. I don't remember reading anything about whether the ANC works while parked or just while in motion but I'd guess that it would work while parked as to begin the quiet experience in the truck. I also tested the system with the windows down, which in my readings tells me that the ANC is turned off. I couldn't tell you if what I was hearing was the difference between opened and closed or from the ANC being turned off or both, but there was definitely a difference.

As I was writing this, it occurred to me that I need to go check the level control knob. If the output level is turned down with that knob, of course the gains will feel like they need to be increased. I don't think I adjusted that between my tests but my kids may have seen the knob and turned it not knowing what it was for. Sounds like I'm going to have to do some testing to know for sure. My intent is to have the level control knob turned all the way up at all times and then adjust my gains and EQ from there. I'll test it with and without the ANC bypassed.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I went from RCA inputs from the JL LoC to Optical on the PAC, I noticed a huge drop in the gain, so I ended up having to connect the control knob for the PAC and increase the minimum volume all the way up to get the amp up to where it needed to be.... as there is no input sensitivity to adjust on the amp when using optical inputs.

What seems a bit odd in your ANC situation, as far as whether or not you are hearing any difference in it bypassed or not, is that you were NOT hearing any differences with wind and road noise in an untreated vehicle, but you heard a difference with it affecting the audio. I would say you'd need to be driving in both instances to compare it, which would make it more difficult (for me at least) to compare them having to stop and unplug or plug in the adapter. If you could flip a switch and immediately swap it over, that would be the best way to compare it. The ANC obviously doesn't have as much noise to eliminate if the truck is sitting idle, so you may not notice anything at that point.

Of course I do have my vehicle treated, and after all the treatment I did, it's is quiet as a mouse, so bypassing the ANC is possibly more pronounced for me. What I hear most is the engine noise when it is bypassed. When I bypassed it, the first thing I noticed was when taking off I could hear the revving up of the engine and the gear shift changing. Got out and took the adapter off... took off again, engine noise gone... no mistaking that noise for me.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there is anyway to have the bass head unit equalizer settings not effect the subs bass output with the amppro unit?

Users who are viewing this thread