5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp steps

Viper67

Reaction score
I’m installing them this week. Is there something I need to do to get the Uconnect screen to deploy them? If we have the mopar there is a button on the radio we can deploy them out etc.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaychris

Reaction score
I’m installing them this week. Is there something I need to do to get the Uconnect screen to deploy them? If we have the mopar there is a button on the radio we can deploy them out etc.

Thanks

No, you don't need to do anything to UConnect for the Amp steps. If you want to deploy/retract them independently of the door, then install the manual override switch when you do the install. It's fairly trivial.

jaychris

Reaction score
Does the manual override give you the radio console button?

No, it's a manual switch that you install yourself (or have someone install). I installed my under the steering column, but you can put it anywhere you don't mind drilling a hole. There is no integration with UConnect for AMP that I am aware of (if that is what you are asking).

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes that’s it. How does the mopar steps integrate with Uconnect? Surely there has to be a way.

I spoke to a dealer about this just today while getting some service done on my truck. He said they can add them so that it is just like factory but he said I’d pay much more for them and he suggested just going to an accessory shop. I wouldn’t need those guys, I’d just install them myself but after thinking about how easy it is to wire into a door switch, do you really need integration?

Viper67

Reaction score
I want the amp steps. They will be installed tomorrow. I just want the button in Uconnect. If it’s just a matter of paying service 100 to turn a feature on I’ll pay it.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want the amp steps. They will be installed tomorrow. I just want the button in Uconnect. If it’s just a matter of paying service 100 to turn a feature on I’ll pay it.
It's not that that simple, the amp steps are stand alone, they have their own micro controller and just monitor the OBD 2 port for door status to retract or deploy the steps. The factory power steps have a wiring harness that integrates them into the factory wiring system which allows them to be controlled via the Uconnect system. It's not a matter of programming or turning on a feature.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
what do you need a button for to deploy them? just wondering, on my 3rd set, had them on my 2003, 2012, and now mt 2019, and never needed an override

Ranger

Reaction score
what do you need a button for to deploy them? just wondering, on my 3rd set, had them on my 2003, 2012, and now mt 2019, and never needed an override

Manual override can be useful to deploy steps when trying to wash the roof, wash the steps and the rocker area that is covered by the step when stored, prevent the step from crashing into terrain when you get out of your truck on a trail, ...

Not many routine uses, but had it's place

Amp has a standalone controller about the size of a police scanner. You zip tie it in place in your engine bay (location is up to you, but dependent on wire harness length to reach where it connects to your truck's harness)

I imagine Uconnect integration is possible, but may involve a lot of splicing and dash/door/trim panel removal to get at the harnesses

Users who are viewing this thread