5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp Research steps - loud clunk and knocking/vibrations

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
This is my 3rd Ram with Amp steps and I've noticed there's a lot more vibration through the floor and also they clunk much louder when they retract than my previous trucks. So I took a look today and I found that the drivers side step bracket is hitting, whatever this module is here. This is causing the loud clunk, tons of vibration through the floor, and also knocking over particularly rough roads. Do any of you guys with Amp steps have this happening? and if so what did you do to resolve it? I'm looking for options before trying to reach out to Amp Research on it.

edti: just googled that part # and it's something to do with the MDS. This might also explain why my truck makes a horrible chattering sound when it MDS kicks in. I dont recall that happening prior to the steps being installed.

Last edited:

R@M1500

Reaction score
This is my 3rd Ram with Amp steps and I've noticed there's a lot more vibration through the floor and also they clunk much louder when they retract than my previous trucks. So I took a look today and I found that the drivers side step bracket is hitting, whatever this module is here. This is causing the loud clunk, tons of vibration through the floor, and also knocking over particularly rough roads. Do any of you guys with Amp steps have this happening? and if so what did you do to resolve it? I'm looking for options before trying to reach out to Amp Research on it.

edti: just googled that part # and it's something to do with the MDS. This might also explain why my truck makes a horrible chattering sound when it MDS kicks in. I dont recall that happening prior to the steps being installed.

View attachment 32666
Jason - I have the EXACT same experience, drivers side thumping i feel through the floor (on/off for up to 2 minutes than goes away...). I was so irritated i kept my side mirror pointed down while i was driving to try and see if my steps were retracting while vehicle in motion when i felt the thumping. I installed mine about 2 weeks ago. I thought maybe i need to reset the motor mount a tooth or two more in the open position as i also noticed it retracts a hair higher than the passenger side. If i find some way to fix, i’ll post but just wanted to validate your experience as i have same...

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Really sorry you both are having problems like this. Mine are quiet when I’m driving but yes they make sounds when retracting.

MBORO19RAM

Reaction score
Loosen the thru-bolt on the round canister, it's a 13mm. Once loosened you can push canister into higher position and then tighten down bolt. It won't hit after that.

freerider969

Reaction score
Loosen the thru-bolt on the round canister, it's a 13mm. Once loosened you can push canister into higher position and then tighten down bolt. It won't hit after that.
That is exactly correct! Just loosen the torx bolt that goes through it and it will allow you to angle it out of the way. This work for me and the sad part was that the Amp research dealer did not know it.

freerider969

Reaction score
Really sorry you both are having problems like this. Mine are quiet when I’m driving but yes they make sounds when retracting.

View attachment 32666
MBORO19RAM is correct just loosen the torx through bolt on the canister and it will allow you to angle the canister away from the amp research support arm.

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
Thanks a lot you guys! I didn't realize that thing was adjustable, I was too focused on the bracket and not the canister.

Users who are viewing this thread