5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp research running boards

aametzger

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the amp research power boards not working intermittently? Mine started to not go down a couple days ago. It didn't go down and when I came back out later they did go down and back up. About an hour ago they quit going down all together.

I had a set installed on my 17 that this happened to, as stated above the controller had to be replaced. I had them installed at Ziebart, so I just took it back there and they worked with AMP to get the new controller and installed it. I traded it in on a 19 that already had them from the factory, so any issue with this one will be a dealer problem to solve :)

freerider969

Reaction score
It’s usually the controller itself that goes bad, at least on the older models. They have excellent customer service... I’d call them up.
That sucks I have only had them on since July 2019 and the truck is a 2019 Ram Rebel. I will contact the shop that put them on for me and see what they can do for me.

freerider969

Reaction score
That sucks I have only had them on since July 2019 and the truck is a 2019 Ram Rebel. I will contact the shop that put them on for me and see what they can do for me.
UPDATE*** So i got a response back from Jeremy Beckman on 5th Gen Ram Owners club. It appears I had been nudging my OBD plug in for my AMP connector and it had loosened and unplugged. Jeremy also recommended that I flip the OBD port which significantly minimizes the chances of me nudging the OBD plug for my AMP connector. Thanks again to a fellow RAM owner helping out.

Rich51

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone with these could tell me how far they drop from the bottom of the door? I have heard that these drop lower than fixed running boards but I have a 2" Mopar Lift and am adding larger tires so might not be an issue. Any help would be great.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone with these could tell me how far they drop from the bottom of the door? I have heard that these drop lower than fixed running boards but I have a 2" Mopar Lift and am adding larger tires so might not be an issue. Any help would be great.

Yeah they do drop lower than the fixed running boards. I don't have lift or level and the first time I jumped in my truck with the AMP I bashed my shin on the door seal. It like a 2"-3" or so lower than the fixed boards. So with a lift should be fine

cotonymopar

Reaction score

don't know the exact, "heard they were like a real step in a house" but I have the stock Laramie, and have absolutely no problems ever, if they get frozen in the up position, they automatically stop trying to open, so they would not bur out the motors.. I had them on my 03 ram 1500 Laramie off roader, with a leveling kit and larger tires, had them on my 12 ram 1500 sport, all stock, and now m7 19 1500 Laramie black edition, with the 22s. I love them because they tuck out of the way, especially when in snowy conditions here in northern Colorado. I have installed all three sets on my trucks, and by far, the 19 ram was the easiest, now since mopar has the same thing offered, they have studs up under the cab that these quickly bolt on to..

Mike 67

Reaction score
Watch out that your arms don’t hit your frame anti damper thingy. If it does there is a bolt to loosen and you can swing the damper upwards out of the way from the swings arms.

You don't want to change the angle of the damper.
Saw an FCA service bulletin that stated to never change the angle as they are designed to work at a certain position.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saw an FCA service bulletin that stated to never change the angle as they are designed to work at a certain position.
dozens of us have done it with no issues. Also, who even cares about those things? I’d toss mine in the trash if I didn’t think it would freak out that it wasn’t plugged in.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
They do drop down pretty low for stock truck height.i plan on eventually 2" with 33 or 34's so not disappointed with drop

Attachments

• 20190930_175446.jpg
    20190930_175446.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20190930_175432.jpg
    20190930_175432.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Rich51

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. I like the look of the truck with no steps but also would like steps so I think these will be a great option. And with everyone saying how easy it is to do then I can save on the installation and get these sooner.

Scjon03

Reaction score

Oops. Oh well. I did mine and I haven’t notice any difference. Sometimes I don't think they do anything at all. Or my exhaust overcomes the dampers anyways.

Last edited:

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. I like the look of the truck with no steps but also would like steps so I think these will be a great option. And with everyone saying how easy it is to do then I can save on the installation and get these sooner.

If you have a 4 Wheel Parts near you they do free installation.

Str8Ripon

Reaction score
Speaking of the LED lights - I opted to not install the small ones they come with nor drill a hole in the rocker panel. I ordered these instead - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JUE9OLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm going to just run the wire under the rocker when it comes in. It'll light the whole step up.

Sorry for reviving old thread. How exactly did you tap into the harness? Just use the front connection for the LEDs and tape off the rear? Have a strip coming and should only need one of the connections to power the lights.

Also have the override switch inbound, directions aren’t as vehicle specific - guessing you pull wires from the main controller in the engine bay into cab through the same grommet/rubber boot that was used for the step install for the OBD wires?

Users who are viewing this thread