5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp research running boards

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
I ordered the Amp running boards and they will be here tomorrow they will be installed this Saturday, I looked at the directions and they seem pretty straight forward. The directions say 3-5 hrs, I have read a couple of posts saying 2 1/2 hrs. I just hope the rain holds off!!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the Amp running boards and they will be here tomorrow they will be installed this Saturday, I looked at the directions and they seem pretty straight forward. The directions say 3-5 hrs, I have read a couple of posts saying 2 1/2 hrs. I just hope the rain holds off!!
I did mine in my garage a couple days ago - took me about 2 hours. Pretty straight forward. Make sure when you attach the motors, the arm of the step is all the way down. Other than that it was all pretty straight forward.

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
I did mine in my garage a couple days ago - took me about 2 hours. Pretty straight forward. Make sure when you attach the motors, the arm of the step is all the way down. Other than that it was all pretty straight forward.
I installed mine, when the drivers door opens the passenger running board goes down, When I open the passenger door the drivers running board goes down? I followed the directions to a t? Does the motor on the front bracket go to the front or rear of the truck, could they have mislabeled the boxes?

RaysFanBoy

Reaction score

How did they turn out?

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
Open the drivers door and the passenger door board comes down, open passenger door, the drivers board comes down. Installed exactly as the directions said.:mad:

Scjon03

Reaction score
Watch out that your arms don’t hit your frame anti damper thingy. If it does there is a bolt to loosen and you can swing the damper upwards out of the way from the swings arms.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did they turn out?
Mine turned out great. Only thing I didn't like was the OBD plug how it was pretty visible when plugged in. I ordered a OBD extension off amazon for 8$ which allowed me to tuck the AMP plug up behind the dash and it almost unseen now. Mine work as they should.

Open the drivers door and the passenger door board comes down, open passenger door, the drivers board comes down. Installed exactly as the directions said.:mad:
Hmm...You sure you wired the two purple wires together correctly? purple with black stripe to purple with black stripe etc?

St Pete Ron

Reaction score
Mine turned out great. Only thing I didn't like was the OBD plug how it was pretty visible when plugged in. I ordered a OBD extension off amazon for 8$ which allowed me to tuck the AMP plug up behind the dash and it almost unseen now. Mine work as they should.

Hmm...You sure you wired the two purple wires together correctly? purple with black stripe to purple with black stripe etc?

Oh boy I need new glasses! Thank you very much, they were backwards!! I am so grateful for this forum!

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Is this the one you got?
Nope - this one

Very happy with it. When you have the door open and standing outside the truck you don't even see it now.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
What happens when you are parallel parked alongside a curb? Is there something that prevents it from scraping along the curb?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What happens when you are parallel parked alongside a curb? Is there something that prevents it from scraping along the curb?
I haven't thought of that. They do drop down pretty low IMO. Mine also did not come with a switch to keep them in the up, down or auto position either? Did you guys? I guess you could unplug the OBD plug if you're in the situation prior to opening your door? That should keep them from deploying since it won't get the signal. I rarely parallel park so it's not a huge concern for me personally.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I haven't thought of that. They do drop down pretty low IMO. Mine also did not come with a switch to keep them in the up, down or auto position either? Did you guys? I guess you could unplug the OBD plug if you're in the situation prior to opening your door? That should keep them from deploying since it won't get the signal. I rarely parallel park so it's not a huge concern for me personally.

But you won't know that in advance. It could be just above the curb yet low enough to scrape. There aren't a lot of complaints online...so there must be an answer?

cotonymopar

Reaction score
when I put mine on, it was the 3rd set I installed, but the ones for the 5th gens are so easy. everything was done for you, except drilling the holes for the LED lights. and poking the hole through the rubber boot on the firewall. I love them, and had them on my 03, 12, and now 19. I have never had a problem with them hitting anything, because the motors are built to not continue to try to open if they encounter resistance. thus, they might scrape the curb if you park too close, but never had a problem with rust or erosion on them.. they are rugged.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
when I put mine on, it was the 3rd set I installed, but the ones for the 5th gens are so easy. everything was done for you, except drilling the holes for the LED lights. and poking the hole through the rubber boot on the firewall. I love them, and had them on my 03, 12, and now 19. I have never had a problem with them hitting anything, because the motors are built to not continue to try to open if they encounter resistance. thus, they might scrape the curb if you park too close, but never had a problem with rust or erosion on them.. they are rugged.
Speaking of the LED lights - I opted to not install the small ones they come with nor drill a hole in the rocker panel. I ordered these instead - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JUE9OLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I'm going to just run the wire under the rocker when it comes in. It'll light the whole step up.

St Pete Ron

Reaction score

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI

They sell a switch to override the automation. I have it, you Just plug it into the module. Worst part is mounting it. You can keep them up or manually deploy (I do that to prevent door dings or at least try to). Only last for 30 mins or something like that, then it goes back to automation on the next door cycle (regardless of switch position) so you don’t have to remember to flip it back.

freerider969

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with the amp research power boards not working intermittently? Mine started to not go down a couple days ago. It didn't go down and when I came back out later they did go down and back up. About an hour ago they quit going down all together.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s usually the controller itself that goes bad, at least on the older models. They have excellent customer service... I’d call them up.

Users who are viewing this thread