5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amp research power steps?

Jack.

Reaction score
Anyone got these and do you guys think its worth it? Im thinking of grabbing these and removing my existing mopar steps that came with the truck but im a bit hesitant for 1) I live in the north east and we do get snow and the god forbidden road salt, and 2) idk how i feel about waiting for the steps to open everytime, i have read that it is quick responsive and quick but just wanted to see if anyone got em on and can chime in a bit more.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can’t really comment so much on how reliable they are in the winter months but I also had them on my 4th Gen and never had an issue with the salt/snow when I would drive up north to visit family. If you can’t ain’t the two seconds if that for them to deploy then you really need to work on your patience lol they really deploy damn pretty quick. IMO worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
IMO, you should get the Mopar Power Running Boards instead of the AMP steps. I've seen a few complaints about the AMP steps being too close to the ground when deployed making it hard for shorter people to get into their trucks. Also, the Mopar steps can be programmed to be deployed or retracted through your U Connect screen. That's a handy feature in a few different scenarios.

A couple of my buddies have the Mopar steps and neither one has had issues with them in the winter. We get about 70-80" of snow per year and unfortunately they salt our roads.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just installed mine about a week ago, I love them. Not sure how they compare to the OEM ones but they do sit quite low to the ground, maybe 3-4 inches ( my truck has a 2 inch lowering level kit so idk about stock) They give me just enough height to get into the seat without rubbing the left bolster which is nice. They deploy fast but every once in a while I’ve noticed they’ll take a second or two to realize I just opened the door. Overall super happy and I did the install myself in about 3.5 hours. I’m in Ohio right now with the truck so if we get any snow I’ll report on the cold weather functionality.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The Mopar steps sit 11.5" off the ground. I have a leveling kit, so they might be ~1" higher than stock.

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Mopar steps sit 11.5" off the ground. I have a leveling kit, so they might be ~1" higher than stock.
Oh damn that’s tall. I was just guessing at 3-4 on the AMPs, I’ll go measure the actual height in the morning

Barty88

Reaction score
I'm selling my my OEM power steps off of my 2019 new style 1500 crew cab. I live in VT but can meet anywhere in NY or New England

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just measured mine...
I have the ORG and upsized my tires from 255/65 20s to 275/65 20s: a 2" increase in diameter, so it lifts the truck an extra inch. In toto, ORG and tire lifts my truck 2" above a stock non-ORG.

Having said that, my AMP Research steps are at 9 1/2" above the ground. The top of my driver's threshold is right at 24" above the ground.

Jack.

Reaction score
I think im going to go with the mopar oem boards just because it can be program to the uconnect haha, now.. anyone know a good oem website i can grab these off for better than dealership prices? :x

Idahoktm

Reaction score

TLOC

Reaction score
Researched power steps for a while before I just installed Amp Research over the Mopar. Impressed with how fast they deploy and how rigid they are when stowed. Love the lights too. Also like the way the truck looks without steps since when they're stowed you can barely notice them. Somewhere I missed the height difference! That would be the only minor issue besides no function from my 12" Uconnect.😡 Oh well...

DCGEM

Reaction score
Ditto on TLOC's reply. I went with the AMP Research version on my 2020 2500. Installed them myself in an afternoon. No issues over the last 15 months, 22k miles, and a 30+ day road trip dragging a toy hauler from Colorado to Maine and back. the boards work flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online