5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP Research deployable running boards

flyfingers

Reaction score
Has anyone installed AMP power steps to their 2021? Can't seem to find steps for the '21 MY but I would assume that steps meant to install on '19 - '20 would obviuosly fit physically but I just don't know if they would still be plug and play as far as the wiring goes. Sounds like AMP hasn't verified via RAM whether they've changed some of the computer stuff for the '21. Mopar has the electric steps for around same price as AMP for the '21 listed on their site - anyone installed these? If so, any pictures would be appreciated.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
The Mopar steps are a bit more complicated on the wiring side of the installation, but if you do the programming as well you get an onscreen soft button to manually deploy or retract the steps (they will function without programming on door opening/closing). You'll also get a notification in your gauge cluster showing the status of the steps if manual adjustments are made. These are not options with AMP steps as they simply plug in to the OBD port.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that you do not have to head to the dealership for the programming of the power steps. You can do it all with AlfaOBD. Takes a few hours for everything to show up, but I can confirm it works.

Norcalrebel

Reaction score
I just installed amp steps on my 2021 Rebel today actually. Ordered for a 2020 Rebel crew cab and they work fine. The only issue I’m having is the flashing red light next to the obd2 port.... it’s rather annoying. Can anyone confirm this red light simply flashes when something is plugged into the port? Or is this showing that there’s some kind of issue?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a set of Amp Research steps on order since February 26th from RealTruck.

Every month or so, they slip the expected ship date. Yesterday, I was sent an email to expect them around early July. WTF.

About to just cancel that crap and see if Mopar will sell me some deployable steps.

(Anyone have a line on a supply for deployable steps???)

Thanks,
Ken

SSW

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie had the factory chrome running boards, I removed them and sold them back to the dealer and then the dealer arranged to have the AMP Power Steps installed at Custom Truck in Reno. Installation and programing completed in a few hours . My dealer has gone out of their way to assist me in any special requests that I have had.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a set of Amp Research steps on order since February 26th from RealTruck.

Every month or so, they slip the expected ship date. Yesterday, I was sent an email to expect them around early July. WTF.

About to just cancel that crap and see if Mopar will sell me some deployable steps.

(Anyone have a line on a supply for deployable steps???)

Thanks,
Ken
Quoting myself. Yeah, I know.

I cancelled the RealTruck order and swapped to CarID. I got the steps within a week(?). The install was okay.

I'll see about posting pix.

They went in fine, BUT, they could've been better.

1. The motors are on the FRONT of the front hinge. It seems like they'd be better protected if they were on the REAR of the front hinge.
2. The driver side comes with a bracket to move a stock wire harness connector. Cool. BUT...the passenger side has need of that, too.
3. The instructions say to mount the hinges, the steps, then mount the motor to the hinge. Wrong. On the passenger side, I have a brace going from the frame rail to the outer sheetmetal. That brace blocks the top-most motor screw. I had to loosen the rear hinge nuts, remove the front hinge nuts, and pull the entire passenger side step away and down, holding it there while installing that screw. I sure hope I never need to tighten it.
4. All of the above would be remedied by having the motors on the REAR of the hinges.
5. Wiring harness is too short to move the motors to the rear. C'mon...a few inches of slack would be appreciated.
6. Control module does not have any mounting tabs. It is meant to be zip-tied to, and hang from, an engine bay wire harness. Yeah, okay. A set of mounting tabs so I could screw into an existing stud would be far preferable.
7. I did NOT drill through my pinch weld seam to run my lights. I just thought that would be a terrible idea. Instead, I looped the lights' wires under that pinch seam and they seem to be just fine.
8. I added the override control switch and harness. That worked well.
9. I added an OBDII "Y" splitter so I still have access to an OBDII port for diagnostics.

Having said all that...I love them. The override switch is great to have. The lights are fabulous (although my stock side-view mirror down lights would do fine). I love the "thunk" as they retract. Let's me know they're stowed when I'm sitting in the truck.

I'm happy I bought them. I do think a few design tweaks could really improve the install process and their longevity. (I added front mudflaps to help protect the motors from debris and water spray.)

Lighthawk

Reaction score
I cancelled my order with RealTruck also, since they don't have the AMP steps they initially said would ship the first of June. It's too bad, because my 2021 RAM is heading to 6gun 12volt to get a DC-DC charger, and mount my FWC Hawk on the new truck. I had also planned to have the AMP steps installed. AFAIK nobody has the AMP steps for my truck right now.

Users who are viewing this thread