5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP Research bed extender compatible with 2022 Limited?

brodiem

Reaction score
I read in some other threads that the Mopar bed extender is a rebranded AMP Research HD Sport. I'm interested in buying the AMP in that case because of the lower price and availability. What's odd though is on AMP's website, it says that the HD Sport isn't available for 2022 models. OTOH, Mopar lists the same part number for 2019 through 2022, so if it really is the same unit, then it should work. But I don't get why AMP isn't listing it as compatible. Anyone know if I'd be safe ordering the AMP product? I did email them a couple of days ago to ask, but no reply yet.. will also post here if I they answer me.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Listings are often not updated that might be one reason.
I got this bed extender on a 2021 bts big horn, no ram boxes. So unfortunately this doesn't neccesarily answer your question but i would feel you would be fine.
I don't see a part number on the bed extender for me to share

n8zcc

Reaction score
I bought an AMP bed extender for my 2013 1500 when I bought the truck back in 13. I've moved it to my 2015 3500 and now my 2022 1500. No issues outside of the bedcover rails interfering with the extender. Now the extender is sitting in the garage because of bedcover rail interference. I think that will be the issue.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought an AMP bed extender for my 2013 1500 when I bought the truck back in 13. I've moved it to my 2015 3500 and now my 2022 1500. No issues outside of the bedcover rails interfering with the extender. Now the extender is sitting in the garage because of bedcover rail interference. I think that will be the issue.
They have a spacer kit available to fix that problem.
https://www.amp-research.com/product-detail/AMP74609-01A/truck-bed-mounting-hardware
Not sure if that fits your particular extender, but maybe a starting point.

Last edited:

brodiem

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that this was for non-rambox, non-MFT. I went ahead and ordered the AMP extender, sounds like it should work. Just odd they wouldn’t take the trivial step to update the model year compatibility for free money basically, it’s not like the 2022’s haven’t been out for a long while now…

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Listings are often not updated that might be one reason.
I got this bed extender on a 2021 bts big horn, no ram boxes. So unfortunately this doesn't neccesarily answer your question but i would feel you would be fine.
I don't see a part number on the bed extender for me to share
Do you by any chance have any pictures of it installed?

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you by any chance have any pictures of it installed?
Here you go, plus amazon link
Doesn't interfere with cover rails and no need for an additional spacer mount. This one is branded as Lund but also made by amp research. As far as I can tell, its identical to the hd sport the OP just ordered but cheaper by almost $100.
And fyi the straps are always short even on the mopar
20221010_082457.jpg 20221010_090449.jpg 20221010_090139.jpg 20221010_090455.jpg 20221010_090623.jpg 20221010_090543.jpg

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I had that same style extender in my 2017 and moved it to my 2019 for a bit.
The 2019 opening was 1/4" wider and did not have the 3 dimples pre-formed into the bedside for easy screw placement but it worked just fine.
Not sure why they never updated the compatabilty chart to reflect this. If it was due to the lack of positioning dimples, an install template would have been an easy enough solution.

Edit: jl13's post references templates so maybe they did fill in that gap.

Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If anybody is local to Orlando and is looking for an AMP research bed extender, I have one that I want to sell. Mine is a different shape and does hit the cover rails, but isn't an issue because I have the quick release bed attachment so I can quickly remove it by flipping a lever to release the catch rather than lifting 45* to release the catch.

images_ProductCategory_BedXtenderImage1-750x500_w760_h500_cr_q75.jpg
bb71fb0520fb3292e9ed07b0f89b9005.jpg

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had that same style extender in my 2017 and moved it to my 2019 for a bit.
The 2019 opening was 1/4" wider and did not have the 3 dimples pre-formed into the bedside for easy screw placement but it worked just fine.
Not sure why they never updated the compatabilty chart to reflect this. If it was due to the lack of positioning dimples, an install template would have been an easy enough solution.

Edit: jl13's post references templates so maybe they did fill in that gap.
I did the install last year, confirm it came with a template but what i am remembering is that is wasn't too usefull

n8zcc

Reaction score

Accessory.Parts

Reaction score
I read in some other threads that the Mopar bed extender is a rebranded AMP Research HD Sport. I'm interested in buying the AMP in that case because of the lower price and availability. What's odd though is on AMP's website, it says that the HD Sport isn't available for 2022 models. OTOH, Mopar lists the same part number for 2019 through 2022, so if it really is the same unit, then it should work. But I don't get why AMP isn't listing it as compatible. Anyone know if I'd be safe ordering the AMP product? I did email them a couple of days ago to ask, but no reply yet.. will also post here if I they answer me.
I've sold them for the 22 and no one has had any issues. I am able to save you a good chunk of money on one if you'd like. Just shoot me a PM.

brodiem

Reaction score
I've sold them for the 22 and no one has had any issues. I am able to save you a good chunk of money on one if you'd like. Just shoot me a PM.
Appreciate it, but I already went ahead and placed an order after seeing some of the other comments, it should be arriving tomorrow. I’m in Canada anyway though

JaylonW

Reaction score
Yes...but u can order the RAM bed extender from Mopar. The RAM logo looks good and easy install.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Loosk good. Let us know if you ever figure out what those straps are for. ;)

I had mine in two trucks for close for 5 years and I think I used it for an extender maybe twice. I bought it for holding groceries and other items and it did that job perfectly.
I removed mine when I added the bedslide and eventually sold it off but I stil wonder if would have been better to have modified it to work with the bedslide.

brodiem

Reaction score
Looks nice. That's the HD Sport that they say doesn't fit the '22?
Yeah, well they don’t say it _doesn’t_ fit, but they just don’t list any compatible extenders for the 22 model year. They never did respond to my email asking about it..

Install took less than an hour, most of that time just carefully drilling the mounting holes in the bed and stepping through multiple bit sizes. The included templates were fine for marking off the holes

Users who are viewing this thread