5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP PowerSteps (76240-01A)

Smashius

Reaction score
Anyone have 'em on a 2021? Is there a difference on the Crew Cab somewhere from the '19-'20 to the '21?

Local shop is telling me that they are waiting for AMP to release different brackets for the '21s, but I swear I've seen them on a '21 Rebel already.

Was there anything extra required to install them? I have them sitting in my garage in the box, and was going to have the shop install when my truck cap is delivered. Just needed to know if something is different or if I should just contact a different shop.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
It's possible amp hasn't updated their yr models to say they fit a 21.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Smashius

Reaction score
It's possible amp hasn't updated their yr models to say they fit a 21.

I thought that, but my local shop said they talked to AMP today and were told they have new brackets in the works.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have 'em on a 2021? Is there a difference on the Crew Cab somewhere from the '19-'20 to the '21?

Local shop is telling me that they are waiting for AMP to release different brackets for the '21s, but I swear I've seen them on a '21 Rebel already.

Was there anything extra required to install them? I have them sitting in my garage in the box, and was going to have the shop install when my truck cap is delivered. Just needed to know if something is different or if I should just contact a different shop.
Well...I hope they're not different. I have a set on order (3 week lead time) from RealTruck. The AMP Research version I ordered is the one you specified.

LoneWolf98

Reaction score

1615695030670.png

hope this helps. This is taken from Amp-Research.com. Planning on having a local shop order these for my 2021 Laramie on monday 3/15.

BrickWurX

Reaction score
The 76240-01A fit my 21 Bighorn no issues, install is straight forward and easy. There is an included bracket that is made to replace a stock wiring harness bracket under the driver side area (lifts it up a bit to clear the step motor). Mounting the steps was quick, running wiring properly is little more time consuming. Really no need to pull the fenders liners as the instructions recommend, snaking them down accomplishes the same thing.

These help with securing wiring once you are under the body. I've read that some use gorilla glue (hard pass for me on that one). Others replace the included LED lights, which suggest drilling, with LED strip lighting. That may work well, I used the included lights, just mounted them on the inside instead of drilling holes and made sure to solder and shrink tube em proper. The steps drop pretty low, lighting coverage isn't really an issue.

Instead of mounting the control box to the factory wiring harness as suggested, I drilled two small holes in the plastic skirt above the firewall near the wiper assembly, just behind the battery, and hung the box there. I can try and get a pic or two for you if you want. The optional manual switch did not seam like a big deal to me at first, but it does help when cleaning the truck, or when working near the sides. Its worth the $30 bucks or so to add it.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 76240-01A fit my 21 Bighorn no issues, install is straight forward and easy. There is an included bracket that is made to replace a stock wiring harness bracket under the driver side area (lifts it up a bit to clear the step motor). Mounting the steps was quick, running wiring properly is little more time consuming. Really no need to pull the fenders liners as the instructions recommend, snaking them down accomplishes the same thing.

These help with securing wiring once you are under the body. I've read that some use gorilla glue (hard pass for me on that one). Others replace the included LED lights, which suggest drilling, with LED strip lighting. That may work well, I used the included lights, just mounted them on the inside instead of drilling holes and made sure to solder and shrink tube em proper. The steps drop pretty low, lighting coverage isn't really an issue.

Instead of mounting the control box to the factory wiring harness as suggested, I drilled two small holes in the plastic skirt above the firewall near the wiper assembly, just behind the battery, and hung the box there. I can try and get a pic or two for you if you want. The optional manual switch did not seam like a big deal to me at first, but it does help when cleaning the truck, or when working near the sides. Its worth the $30 bucks or so to add it.
I ordered the optional switch from RealTruck...and they deleted it due to long lead times. (3+ weeks.) I then found another outfit ZZTruck (?) that ordered it and would keep the order until it ships... I expect that switch will be added on about a month (or more?) after I install the steps.

Having done all this, is it simple to add the switch later?

Could you show a picture of your deployed steps being illuminated at night? I'd hate to drill holes and trust my rust-preventative paint to keep the rockers from rusting out prematurely.

Thanks!

BrickWurX

Reaction score
I ordered the optional switch from RealTruck...and they deleted it due to long lead times. (3+ weeks.) I then found another outfit ZZTruck (?) that ordered it and would keep the order until it ships... I expect that switch will be added on about a month (or more?) after I install the steps.

Having done all this, is it simple to add the switch later?

Could you show a picture of your deployed steps being illuminated at night? I'd hate to drill holes and trust my rust-preventative paint to keep the rockers from rusting out prematurely.

Thanks!

I will try and grab a pic of the LED lighting later tonight. Adding the switch later on shouldn't be an issue as long as you have access to the control module (mounted my switch in the gas pedal adjustment module box, control mudule behind tha battery). One of THESE OBD2 extensions will allow you to have the running boards plugged in at all times and keep things looking factory (way cheaper than what AMP wants).

I took a bit of 1/16 aluminum squared tube, cut it in 1.75" lengths, then split it into two L brackets to mount the lighting (ABS would work just as well). It started raining so I didn't want to crawl under the truck and try and snap a pic. But I did put together an image (not my truck) of what I am referring to. The weld seem along the frame is at a slight angle, bending the metal brackets a touch was required to pitch the lights out toward the steps. I used high tack 3M double sided tape for the bracket mounts, drilling a small hole through them to feed the wiring as close the frame as I could. Also made sure the boards would not hit the lights when in the up position (This is the reason I didn't just run the wiring over the welded seam).

Underbody 001.jpg

Second pic is where I mounted the control box. Didn't drill the metal there either, only the plastic cover.

IMG_0503.JPG

BrickWurX

Reaction score
@c3k

Here are the pics taken around 8:30pm (there is a shop light at the pole I can't turn off). First pic is fuzzy, iphone would not focus, this includes the lighting from the side mirrors. Second pic I wrapped the mirror light with a black towel to block it out so only the LED running board lights are lit. Hope this helps.

IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@BrickWurX,

Those are great! Thank you for taking the time to do that. I just got notification of my steps being delivered in a week. Waiting on the truck. The switch...will be a lot longer.

The light spill from the LEDs seems very nice how you mounted them. More than adequate.

When my steps arrive, I'm going to take them to a LineX shop and get some "grip" added on... Otherwise, my goal is to have an install identical to yours. Thanks!

Ken

BrickWurX

Reaction score
Ken,

You may not need a liner or additional coating.
The aluminum is extruded with lateral ribs.
It also seems that AMP has added silicone grit to the powder coating. Pretty "grippy".

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ken,

You may not need a liner or additional coating.
The aluminum is extruded with lateral ribs.
It also seems that AMP has added silicone grit to the powder coating. Pretty "grippy".
Thanks.
I just got notified that they've shipped and I should get them on Friday. (Minus the manual switch, of course.) I'll prop 'em on my front steps and see if I can slide down them. ;)

BrickWurX

Reaction score
Thanks.
I just got notified that they've shipped and I should get them on Friday. (Minus the manual switch, of course.) I'll prop 'em on my front steps and see if I can slide down them. ;)

Post the vid or it didn't happen!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good thing you got your order in I checked like two weeks ago and the steps where on backorder till like May so I didn’t place my order and just so happen to check a few days ago and boom back in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

crazycrew

Reaction score
Ordered mine March 2, from tonneaucovered.com. Still waiting, hopefully soon.

@BrickWurX thanks for those tips. I'll def be doing that for the lighting instead of drilling.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good thing you got your order in I checked like two weeks ago and the steps where on backorder till like May so I didn’t place my order and just so happen to check a few days ago and boom back in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Crap. The shipment is NOT the steps: it's the tonneau I ordered from RealTruck as part of the same order.

BrickWurX

Reaction score
They are showing (76240-01A as the plug and play option, UPC 815410014215) in stock at 4wheelparts.com, and at runningboardwarehouse.com. Both listed at $1499.00 with free shipping.

From the look of the box when it arrived (zero info from seller), they are likely dropped shipped from the manufacturer. Canceling and reordering may not be worth the trouble.
Could always give em a call though.

I bought mine in early January from autoaccessoriesgarage.com, they had a discount email sign up code that priced them at 1430.05 delivered. I also received the mail in visa rebate for a hundo, so $1330 for the boards. I got the override switch (AMP-79106-01A), from realtrucks.com for $32.44 shipping included. So $1365ish for everything.

Best quote I could get for dealer MOPAR was $1650 installed. The two sets look identical, not exact, but I am pretty sure MOPAR must license the product for remanufacture as the similarities would easily be a patent issues. MOPAR is only a 2 year warranty however, AMP is 5 years, so I went with AMP.

I had problems finding compatible parts when searching for 2021 years models. I took a chance by just entering 2019 & 2020 RAM 1500 with the item numbers I got from AMP. We all know there are some subtle changes between years, but engineers rarely retool for frame and subframe specs unless a bigger issue is found. They fit no problem.

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score

View attachment 85623

hope this helps. This is taken from Amp-Research.com. Planning on having a local shop order these for my 2021 Laramie on monday 3/15.
And it's the same part number when entering in a 2020. So why is the shop bsing thus guy.
808c55eb5194d47d5f2a19c01b2c2e12.jpg

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update on my Amp Research Power Steps (model AMP-76240-01A).

I ordered them from RealTruck on February 26th. I just got an email with a "delivery update" ("downdate"???) of May 3rd to May 7th. WTHHH?

They were quick to cancel my Amp Research step switch when it wasn't in stock. Had I known that Real Truck would take almost 3 months (a quarter of a year, 90 degrees of an orbital period, the life cycle of a 100 May Flies, or 24,000 hours) I would've looked at other vendors. Grrr.

But, they'll still probably arrive before my truck that I factory ordered on February 17th.

Users who are viewing this thread