5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP PowerStep

grinch72

Reaction score
Nice truck! Now go order your extender pins now before they sell out nationwide!!

halla

Reaction score
What is an extender pin? Did I miss something?

halla

Reaction score
ok, nevermind, I just did a search. What a crock. I had to just order the parts for $100+. Oh well, glad I was able to find them. Thanks for posting.

Tom488

Reaction score
I can't comment directly, but I did install a set of Amp Powersteps on my previous truck (2009 1500), and I can't imagine it was much different. Overall, the installation went fine, and I was impressed with the quality of both the kit itself, and the instructions. I see the installation is a little easier on the 2019, as there are factory studs to hang the link arms from (previous versions had you installing backing plates and threaded inserts in the rocker panels). My only suggestion would be to use Loc-tite on the screws that hold the end caps on to the steps themselves... a couple of mine backed out over time. The wiring is much more simplified, as well - mostly done through the OBD-II port now.

My only complaint was with the lights that come with it. They're a little on the cheap side, and the 3M VHB tape as a mounting solution could be a little better. There was a post here somewhere about upgrading to some after-aftermarket high output LEDs that utilized a magnetic mount - I'll see if I can find that. I want to put those lights onto my truck with the factory (non-lighted) Mopar powersteps.

If it's any consolation, the steps are just over 9 years old, and still working just fine - even though I no longer own that particular truck.

ETA: Found it - it was a Youtube video:

Last edited:

Power Rebel

Reaction score
I can't comment directly, but I did install a set of Amp Powersteps on my previous truck (2009 1500), and I can't imagine it was much different. Overall, the installation went fine, and I was impressed with the quality of both the kit itself, and the instructions. I see the installation is a little easier on the 2019, as there are factory studs to hang the link arms from (previous versions had you installing backing plates and threaded inserts in the rocker panels). My only suggestion would be to use Loc-tite on the screws that hold the end caps on to the steps themselves... a couple of mine backed out over time. The wiring is much more simplified, as well - mostly done through the OBD-II port now.

My only complaint was with the lights that come with it. They're a little on the cheap side, and the 3M VHB tape as a mounting solution could be a little better. There was a post here somewhere about upgrading to some after-aftermarket high output LEDs that utilized a magnetic mount - I'll see if I can find that. I want to put those lights onto my truck with the factory (non-lighted) Mopar powersteps.

If it's any consolation, the steps are just over 9 years old, and still working just fine - even though I no longer own that particular truck.

ETA: Found it - it was a Youtube video:
Thanks for the info. It's great to see durability in the product. I'll probably go with the AMP steps after the snow melts.

lambone

Reaction score
I have them. Had them installed by the dealership as I wrapped them into the truck deal.

I had them for 2 years in my ‘16 2500.

I really like them, and never had any issues. I like how the truck looks without side rail steps.

My kids and their grandparents love them. Passengers always think they are pretty cool.

Worth the $ imho

staapee57

Reaction score
ok, nevermind, I just did a search. What a crock. I had to just order the parts for $100+. Oh well, glad I was able to find them. Thanks for posting.

Wait - what pins was he talking about? Can you link the "research" you did? I also have the rambox with bed extender (bed extender just came with it) and I didn't know there were additional parts needed to use it?

Tom488

Reaction score
Wait - what pins was he talking about? Can you link the "research" you did? I also have the rambox with bed extender (bed extender just came with it) and I didn't know there were additional parts needed to use it?
You can find the info. on here (do a search for "Bed Extender"), but the net/net is that FCA decided to remove the bed extender functionality from the Ramboxes due to altered tail light regulations for 2019 vehicles per the DOT. Therefore, the pins used to secure the extender to the sides of the bed are no longer installed at the factory. You can purchase the pieces yourself and install them, and then get to use your extender the way it was intended to be used (as long as you're OK with violating some obscure new DOT regulation). You need:

Qty 2: 68054996AA Handle-Swivel Release
Qty 2: 68054997AB Inner Panel Grommet

Your local dealer parts counter can order these for you, or you can choose from a multitude of online Mopar parts dealers - I bought mine from Mopar America (http://www.moparamerica.com)

Sholzer

Reaction score
FWIW, it's worth asking for from your salesman/dealership. Mine ordered the parts for me at no cost to me

Rebel Yell

Reaction score
The is another thread out here talking about adding power running boards. They were discussing power running boards, and one thing that would be nice is that apparently if they are the Mopar power steps the dealer can flash the functions into your existing display which is kind of nice.

Garys35

Reaction score
I just got my mopar power running boards installed but I have to check to see if they are flashed to the uconnect..
Don't think it will make a difference to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread