5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AMP POWER STEPS

Reaction score
Went to a local shop and wanted to get some AMP power steps installed. The guy said he’s done a few 5th gen rams and there’s a malfunction where when the step retracts back out, it catches that little lip that hangs below the door. Anyone else have this problem or has found a way around it ? Said he grinded the lip down per request of a customer but doesn’t recommend due to it becoming rust easily

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never heard of that being a issue with 5th Gens. 4th Gen Rams yes it often took grinding or denting the pinch welds to make enough clearance I know I and several other guys have had to do a bit of tweaking. Now on my 5th gen.. installing the Amps didn’t require any modification bolted in just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ever_Garza

Reaction score
I installed amp steps and didn’t have that issue. Everything had good clearance. They wanted to charge me 300$ to install but I just ended up doing it myself. Took me about 5 hours by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrowningTrout

Reaction score
Just a little more confirmation for you, I Installed them this weekend and have no issues with that.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took me about 2.5-3 hours with beer if that but I would double check and make sure they included everything in the box before you start. I had terrible luck with them forgetting the harness/obd ll plug after I already installed the steps and brackets….. then then forgetting the led steps lights (no big deal since I could just reuse the ones from my other amp steps but I wasn’t going to install them anyways).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Took me about 2.5-3 hours with beer if that but I would double check and make sure they included everything in the box before you start. I had terrible luck with them forgetting the harness/obd ll plug after I already installed the steps and brackets….. then then forgetting the led steps lights (no big deal since I could just reuse the ones from my other amp steps but I wasn’t going to install them anyways).

Just curious, did you order off Amps site or off another distributors site ?

DrowningTrout

Reaction score
Got mine off ebay used. Guy said they were on his truck only a couple months before he took them off and traded his truck in. They are still like new and I saved a bunch of money.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Amazon. At the time when I ordered there seemed to be a back order of several weeks between other vendors so I just stuck with Amazon since they had them in stock and would arrive it 2-3 days. I will say Amp support was great… it took just sending them a order conformation from Amazon and they had the parts shipped right out. My problem was just timing since I was leaving for Guam for a few months the very next day so it was just a bit inconvenient.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience echoes that of the upstream posters. Easy install...BUT: on my passenger side, there is a bracket that prevents the motor from being installed after the steps are bolted up. (Instructions say to hang the steps then add the motors.) Instead, I had to undo the passenger side (loosen the rear to give movement and remove the front), pull the step and then add the motor and THEN re-bolt the steps.

I have a 4x4 with ORP, so that may be different than others.

Also, I did NOT drill through the pinch weld to run the wires for my lights. I just ran them underneath. They're clear of any interference and the radius is gentle. Can't even tell.

(I didn't want to let that pinch seam get water into it.)

FWIW.

Oh, and I love the Amp steps. ;)

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As others have said, I installed a set on both of my 5th gens, no issues at all. Install takes 2-3 hours just taking your time and drinking a beverage while doing so.

Croaker

Reaction score
I had the Amp steps on my 2016 and loved them. Got them installed on my 2021 and they are about 2-1/2” lower than on the 2916. I liked the 2016 height better ? Maybe they had to change the height because of the lip ?

Users who are viewing this thread