5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AmericanTrucks.com-Just a word of caution.

ShenValley

Reaction score
I've purchased a few things from them over time to include a tailgate mat just the other day that arrived today. Very heavy duty rubber and was supposed to fit the tailgate of my 2022 Bighorn. I confirmed this with them and had it sent. Well only 4 of the 10 or so holes line up with the pre existing marks on the rubber. I figured it was an honest mistake so I messaged customer service. Turns out it was no mistake and this CS was told that I would need to drill the rest of the holes if I needed it all to fit securely. I told her to just start an RA and she said she could give me a credit towards my next purchase but the cost of the return would come off my refund. When I balked at this she said only free returns for defective or wrong items sent to me. When I said I believe it was defective since I needed to drill into my new truck that didn't suffice. I was pissed and told them it was coming back. So I now have a $15 credit on my account which will never be used as I will leave a not so friendly review for the company as soon I see the partial refund. Needless to say I'm done with the company. Just wanted to provide a heads up.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To clarify, did they mean to drill holes in the truck, or holes in the mat? I could see adding some holes to the mat, maybe, but hard for me to conceive why you would need to drill the truck.

FWIW, they took money from me for a product that their website showed as being in stock, but then told me it was back-ordered for like three months. They did give all my money back.

ShenValley

Reaction score
To clarify, did they mean to drill holes in the truck, or holes in the mat? I could see adding some holes to the mat, maybe, but hard for me to conceive why you would need to drill the truck.

FWIW, they took money from me for a product that their website showed as being in stock, but then told me it was back-ordered for like three months. They did give all my money back.
The CS did say tailgate but drilling the mat where the other holes are located makes sense. Maybe she meant that and I just didn't process it the right way.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've purchased a few things from them over time to include a tailgate mat just the other day that arrived today. Very heavy duty rubber and was supposed to fit the tailgate of my 2022 Bighorn. I confirmed this with them and had it sent. Well only 4 of the 10 or so holes line up with the pre existing marks on the rubber. I figured it was an honest mistake so I messaged customer service. Turns out it was no mistake and this CS was told that I would need to drill the rest of the holes if I needed it all to fit securely. I told her to just start an RA and she said she could give me a credit towards my next purchase but the cost of the return would come off my refund. When I balked at this she said only free returns for defective or wrong items sent to me. When I said I believe it was defective since I needed to drill into my new truck that didn't suffice. I was pissed and told them it was coming back. So I now have a $15 credit on my account which will never be used as I will leave a not so friendly review for the company as soon I see the partial refund. Needless to say I'm done with the company. Just wanted to provide a heads up.
So you are upset with them because a product made by another company doesn't fit correctly? They are just a distributor. Most of the time, the parts are drop shipped directly from manufacturer. Should be taking your concerns up with the manufacturer.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you are upset with them because a product made by another company doesn't fit correctly? They are just a distributor. Most of the time, the parts are drop shipped directly from manufacturer. Should be taking your concerns up with the manufacturer.
That's not the way it works. If you buy a Vizio TV at BestBuys and it's not working, who do you deal with? If you buy something on Amazon, made in China, do you deal with China or Amazon.
Vendor is responsible on those issues, not manufacturer.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not the way it works. If you buy a Vizio TV at BestBuys and it's not working, who do you deal with? If you buy something on Amazon, made in China, do you deal with China or Amazon.
I agree to a point, and think if ANY modification were necessary, the vendor should list it in their description. If they don’t, it’s simply an inaccurate description and the vendor owes the OP a full refund. The vendor has to be a good steward of their products.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on if you are within the return window or not. The warranty on said product is through the manufacturer, not the vendor. Any fitment issues are from the manufacturer, not the vendor. The vendor sells parts the manufacturer says will fit X vehicle. It's not the vendors responsibility to test fit every product to ensure correct fitment. Sounds like they offered store credit, which is better than some places, and you have to pay a restocking fee because they probably operate on thin margins to give you the best prices. They should probably train their customer service reps better to work with customers having issues and not tell them to modify their vehicles for a part that is supposed to be a direct fitment. At that point, the rep should have reached out to manufacturer, or directed you to manufacturer for fitment issues.

With Amazon, the listing will say whether or not there are free returns. Not all products have that option. And if you are outside the 30 day return window then you most definitely have to deal with the manufacturer or the seller from Amazon, and not Amazon themselves.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed that the factory tailgate liner only has screws at the top, that align with the tailgate access cover. There is nothing at the bottom to secure it, so it can warp or not sit flat. My 2006 Silverado also had a factory tailgate liner that aligned with screws at the top of the tailgate, but required the bottom to be secured with additional screws that self tapped into the tailgate. The screws that came with that liner had a coating to seal the hole as it gets installed, so no rust would occur.

I think you'll find that most tailgate liners will require drilling at the bottom side as RAM didn't have existing holes to screw into.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

All tailgate mats are this way. My WeatherTech mat is also this way. Instead of drilling more holes you can use hook-n-loop tape between the tailgate and mat like WeatherTech does.

Almost everything I buy these days comes with a note in the box that says something to the effect of "if there is a problem DO NOT RETURN TO THE STORE. Instead contact us at 800-____-_____".

I noticed that the factory tailgate liner only has screws at the top, that align with the tailgate access cover. There is nothing at the bottom to secure it, so it can warp or not sit flat. My 2006 Silverado also had a factory tailgate liner that aligned with screws at the top of the tailgate, but required the bottom to be secured with additional screws that self tapped into the tailgate. The screws that came with that liner had a coating to seal the hole as it gets installed, so no rust would occur.

I think you'll find that most tailgate liners will require drilling at the bottom side as RAM didn't have existing holes to screw into.

Exactly. Or use tape as mentioned above.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorta dealing with this now with them. Ordered headers that they even told me were in stock and expected to ship no later than 9/17. Now all the sudden it’s showing expected ship date of 11/21. Not very happy

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree to a point, and think if ANY modification were necessary, the vendor should list it in their description. If they don’t, it’s simply an inaccurate description and the vendor owes the OP a full refund. The vendor has to be a good steward of their products.

Depends on if you are within the return window or not. The warranty on said product is through the manufacturer, not the vendor. Any fitment issues are from the manufacturer, not the vendor. The vendor sells parts the manufacturer says will fit X vehicle. It's not the vendors responsibility to test fit every product to ensure correct fitment. Sounds like they offered store credit, which is better than some places, and you have to pay a restocking fee because they probably operate on thin margins to give you the best prices. They should probably train their customer service reps better to work with customers having issues and not tell them to modify their vehicles for a part that is supposed to be a direct fitment. At that point, the rep should have reached out to manufacturer, or directed you to manufacturer for fitment issues.

With Amazon, the listing will say whether or not there are free returns. Not all products have that option. And if you are outside the 30 day return window then you most definitely have to deal with the manufacturer or the seller from Amazon, and not Amazon themselves.
There are many items available on Amazon that are only fulfilled (warehoused) by Amazon or shipped directly from a 3rd party seller. In many cases, you do have to deal with the 3rd party. Now, if it comes down to it, Amazon may force a refund/return, but dealing with wrong or missing parts, etc. is 100% done initially with the 3rd party. Dealing with this now on a "Refurbished" item.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are many items available on Amazon that are only fulfilled (warehoused) by Amazon or shipped directly from a 3rd party seller. In many cases, you do have to deal with the 3rd party. Now, if it comes down to it, Amazon may force a refund/return, but dealing with wrong or missing parts, etc. is 100% done initially with the 3rd party. Dealing with this now on a "Refurbished" item.
Man, there’s a great example of a company that’s almost a necessary evil. I’m not referring to AWS (which I loathe), but the ecommerce side. They’re terrible stewards of their products. They have misrepresented and counterfeit items littered among their marketplace. I just got in a “Genuine OEM” o-ring set yesterday that are in no part OEM.
I’ll eventually find it in myself to detach from Amazon.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And it's creeping into other marketplaces. I ordered some stuff off eBay, and the seller three-party shipped it from Amazon. I left rather snippy feedback, which is not normal for me. If I wanted Amazon stuff, I'd have gone there myself.:mad:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are always exceptions. As someone else mentioned, there are many items I have ordered off Amazon that came with a note saying to contact either the manufacturer, or the seller who listed the Item on Amazon first, and not to go through Amazon directly for any issues. Even being "fulfilled" by Amazon doesn't mean Amazon will have all the answers for any issues that come up.

Their go to solution is usually to either replace the item with another one, or just offer a refund. Amazon does not usually try to troubleshoot, or give advice on how to make the items work.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And it's creeping into other marketplaces. I ordered some stuff off eBay, and the seller three-party shipped it from Amazon. I left rather snippy feedback, which is not normal for me. If I wanted Amazon stuff, I'd have gone there myself.:mad:

I often find sellers with the same products on both AMZ and Fleabay. Sometimes it's also worth checking if they have their own e-commerce site. I'll then just use the cheapest/best option unless it seems sketch, then Amazon for the best protections (even though there's always a CC chargeback option if necessary.)

Users who are viewing this thread