5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient Temperature Sensor

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
all you are doing is confusing posters

it is and always will be safer to disconnect the negative FIRST!!!!
Nobody is arguing about disconnecting the negative first. That's a given. But when you read instructions on replacing a part and it says to disconnect negative posts, it's to protect any electronics you may be disconnecting, while doing the work, from an electric shock that could damage the part. It doesnt say completely remove the battery which would be more about what your posts addresses.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I apologize but I’m still confused. So does it even matter if I don’t disconnect the negative and leave the battery alone?
Chances are you will not have any issues leaving the battery connected. I rarely unhook the battery for doing little things on interior, unless I know I will be messing with constant power wires or circuits.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chances are you will not have any issues leaving the battery connected. I rarely unhook the battery for doing little things on interior, unless I know I will be messing with constant power wires or circuits.
Funny because I disconnected the sensor about a year ago to reset it and see if that changed anything and I got a check engine light that wouldn’t go away. I had to disconnect the negative side to get rid of he check engine light. Last week I disconnected it again to try a reset and no light. Go figure.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Funny because I disconnected the sensor about a year ago to reset it and see if that changed anything and I got a check engine light that wouldn’t go away. I had to disconnect the negative side to get rid of he check engine light. Last week I disconnected it again to try a reset and no light. Go figure.
If you turned Ignition on with the sensor unhooked, that may be why you got check engine light. Otherwise the truck wouldn't know

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you turned Ignition on with the sensor unhooked, that may be why you got check engine light. Otherwise the truck wouldn't know
That’s what I figured. I can’t recall if I touched the ignition but don’t believe I did. Anyway, I guess I’ll just disconnect it and suffer waiting for everything to return😂

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What are you comparing to for temperature readings?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are you comparing to for temperature readings?
My local weather app and the weather in Travelink. It’s always 6-10 degrees off and sometimes even after 30 minutes or so of driving doesn’t correct itself. It used to be much more accurate (within a degree or two) and always corrected after a few minutes of driving. It also seems to stay at the last temperature prior to shutting down the truck. I figured for a few bucks it’s worth trying a new sensor rather than let the dealership screw something up. I’m out of warranty too.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My local weather app and the weather in Travelink. It’s always 6-10 degrees off and sometimes even after 30 minutes or so of driving doesn’t correct itself. It used to be much more accurate (within a degree or two) and always corrected after a few minutes of driving. It also seems to stay at the last temperature prior to shutting down the truck. I figured for a few bucks it’s worth trying a new sensor rather than let the dealership screw something up. I’m out of warranty too.
My ambient sensor never matches travelink or local weather reading. Usually local weather station is miles away from your actual location and could easily be +/-5 degree difference or more depending on conditions. And travelink just uses local reported weather.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah mines always a little off. Especially if the trucks parked in the sun.

Been that way since I took it off the lot on a 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ambient sensor never matches travelink or local weather reading. Usually local weather station is miles away from your actual location and could easily be +/-5 degree difference or more depending on conditions. And travelink just uses local reported weather.
Lately, mine is off by as much as 10 degrees but it wasn’t always that bad. It used to just be a degree or two. My other cars are all never more than a degree off from the local apps. I’m curious to see if the sensor change will make any difference.

Kaderast

Reaction score
My ambient air reading is ALWAYS 7 degrees high. Doesn't matter if is freezing or 100 degrees outside, always 7 degrees. I have a $3000 weather station at work I use as my bench mark.

I've replaced my ambient sensor twice already.....but always still 7 degrees high! I wonder if there wasn't a batch of sensors calibrated wrong from the supplier.

I'm going to take the sensor out of my wife's Durango soon and jump it into the wiring harness for my sensor and see if that solves the issue.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ambient air reading is ALWAYS 7 degrees high. Doesn't matter if is freezing or 100 degrees outside, always 7 degrees. I have a $3000 weather station at work I use as my bench mark.

I've replaced my ambient sensor twice already.....but always still 7 degrees high! I wonder if there wasn't a batch of sensors calibrated wrong from the supplier.

I'm going to take the sensor out of my wife's Durango soon and jump it into the wiring harness for my sensor and see if that solves the issue.
I just replaced mine and it’s still 5 degrees higher. It was worth a try. My only problem now is all of my settings are screwed up and I lost a bunch of features after disconnecting my negative terminal.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just replaced mine and it’s still 5 degrees higher. It was worth a try. My only problem now is all of my settings are screwed up and I lost a bunch of features after disconnecting my negative terminal.
I lost the heater controls and some of the options like passenger heated seats…and satellite radio icon

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I lost the heater controls and some of the options like passenger heated seats…and satellite radio icon
It will all come back. It takes a few hours. The network of systems all need to talk and then it all comes back.

ABess

Reaction score
Yep, I’ve definitely done that a number of times, as well as getting too aggressive with loosening a terminal and shorting a wrench across the positive and negative terminals. Now that’s some big sparks.
Try Fluxcore Welding.....now thats some sparks for ya

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will all come back. It takes a few hours. The network of systems all need to talk and then it all comes back.
Thanks. I was getting concerned because I also lost the ability to use the heat/cooling controls (blue and red arrows) lots of missing stuff in settings too. Do you know how to add satellite radio icon back?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. I was getting concerned because I also lost the ability to use the heat/cooling controls (blue and red arrows) lots of missing stuff in settings too. Do you know how to add satellite radio icon back?
I also lost the backup camera🤬

Users who are viewing this thread