5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient lights

Ram1500DS

Reaction score
Are the ambient light always on at night? Is that the factory default? I know how to turn them off, just did not expect them to be on while driving at night.
thanks

borden72

Reaction score
If you are talking about the dash, door and foot well lighting, they are adjustable. You can dim them down.

superlubricity

Reaction score
Related question. Does anyone have a complete list of where all the ambient lighting is located?

GerryS

Reaction score
Related question. Does anyone have a complete list of where all the ambient lighting is located?
I'd like to know where all the ambient lights are located. I have slots in the rear doors that look like they are for ambient lights, but it looks like they are empty. No ambient lights at all in the rear doors.

Thanks,
Gerry

Raydar

Reaction score
It would appear that it varies by model. I've got a Bighorn Sport, and the only ambient lighting I'm aware of is in the overhead console, shining down on the center console, in front of the HVAC controls. Works just fine, even at full intensity. (I don't even notice it when I'm driving.)

Ram1500DS

Reaction score
I'd like to know where all the ambient lights are located. I have slots in the rear doors that look like they are for ambient lights, but it looks like they are empty. No ambient lights at all in the rear doors.

Thanks,
Gerry
My Laramie has them in the front under the dash,under the seat for the back, also the back doors and the top glove box.

GerryS

Reaction score

superlubricity

Reaction score
Yup, I saw that thread

Is there more than one location in the rear doors?

Thanks
Gerry
When I looked at my rear doors (Laramie Sport Crew) I found a light/lens behind the door handle, below the arm rest, and above the bottom pocket/bin. The last one looks like a full LED strip. See attached.

Note: My RAM is currently in service for these lights (and others) not functioning.

Attachments

• 20190921_193739.jpg
    20190921_193739.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20190921_193653.jpg
    20190921_193653.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 151
  • 20190921_193731.jpg
    20190921_193731.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

GerryS

Reaction score
Mine is a Quad Cab.
In my back doors I see a slot in the recess above the door handle, like yours, but it looks like an empty slot. I see no other LEDs in the rear doors. At night, there are no ambient lights on behind the front seats, including under the seats except for the usb ports and heated seat switches.
Maybe being a Quad Cab means I don't get ambient lighting for the rear passengers?

Gerry

Ram1500DS

Reaction score
Mine is a Quad Cab.
In my back doors I see a slot in the recess above the door handle, like yours, but it looks like an empty slot. I see no other LEDs in the rear doors. At night, there are no ambient lights on behind the front seats, including under the seats except for the usb ports and heated seat switches.
Maybe being a Quad Cab means I don't get ambient lighting for the rear passengers?

Gerry
I found the small led in the recess pointing forward. To bad they are not blue like they where in my 2014 Grand Cherokee.

borden72

Reaction score
I have a Laramie crew cab. There are ambient lights in 3 locations on the rear doors and on the floor boards while driving at night. Lighting on the front floor boards, dash accent lighting and several locations on the front doors. There's also an overhead light.

superlubricity

Reaction score
My issue was fixed by the dealer. Highlighted in the linked thread above.

I'm confident I'm got all the ambient lighting locations working in the Laramie Crew Cab now.
  1. Front doors: Behind the door handles, below the armrest, and in the storage compartment.
  2. Overhead console: Single LED that lights up the center console below
  3. Rear doors: Behind the door handles, below the armrest, and in the storage compartment.
  4. Dashboard: Over upper glove box, over push button start, and the small trim piece to the left of the instrument cluster
  5. Footwells (Front and rear): The bright/round LEDs light up when the doors are open, the smaller rectangle lens comes on with the rest of the ambient lights

Last edited:

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have no problems with the ambient lights, but has anyone changed them? I’d like to swap the bulbs to emit a blue ambience. That is, if it’s easy. Not worth it if I have to start pulling panels!

Ram1500DS

Reaction score
I have no problems with the ambient lights, but has anyone changed them? I’d like to swap the bulbs to emit a blue ambience. That is, if it’s easy. Not worth it if I have to start pulling panels!
The lights under the dash and seats seem easy to get to. The ones in the doors look like you have to remove the panel. Based on a quick look.

Users who are viewing this thread