5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient Lighting?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't read every post, but I saw where the OP is wanting the ambient lights to only come on when the doors are open / unlocking the truck. Very easy - just tie your power for your aux lights into the cargo light power. That only gets power when you unlock the truck / open the doors then fade out when the truck is turned on and doors are closed. I just did this mod, but tied mine into the headlight switch so they're on when my headlights are on. I personally like the look of them being on driving down the road but also the kit I used has an on/off button I can manually turn them off if I don't want them on at certain times.

bnh105

Reaction score
Remember what fuse you tapped into? I’m wanting to install some opt7 aura and was going to use another fuse but if they can come on with the auto headlights that would be even better.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember what fuse you tapped into? I’m wanting to install some opt7 aura and was going to use another fuse but if they can come on with the auto headlights that would be even better.
If you're asking me, I just pulled the headlight knob trim piece off to expose the wiring - it's just push tabs holding that piece on. Then used a test light to confirm which wire got power when the headlights were activated. I can't recall which color wire it was, but there were only 5-6 wires coming off that switch. I just stripped back the appropriate wire and soldered on the power wire for the light kit to that.

bnh105

Reaction score
If you're asking me, I just pulled the headlight knob trim piece off to expose the wiring - it's just push tabs holding that piece on. Then used a test light to confirm which wire got power when the headlights were activated. I can't recall which color wire it was, but there were only 5-6 wires coming off that switch. I just stripped back the appropriate wire and soldered on the power wire for the light kit to that.
ah okay apprecaite that, i was thinking you tapped into the fuse or added a fuse type thing which is what im trying to figure out currently on my limited so the kit comes on with the auto light selected like the normal ambients do

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ah okay apprecaite that, i was thinking you tapped into the fuse or added a fuse type thing which is what im trying to figure out currently on my limited so the kit comes on with the auto light selected like the normal ambients do
Tapping into the headlight wire accomplishes the same result.

Users who are viewing this thread