5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient Lighting?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the crowd here and say that I like a dark interior at night. I don't have any need to see my shoes with peripheral vision. I do like the floor lights when opening the door. Is there any way to keep the floor lighting active for open doors, but have the ambient lighting off while driving? I have a Rebel and it doesn't have the ambient lighting feature that the upper models have, so I don't have the dial to adjust it. All interior lights dim equally, so if I turn them down, I'm also turning down the dash and window switches also.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, if I disconnect them, then I also lose the footwell lighting for entry/exit.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did you tell me what you did to your truck? Your 1st post was telling me I only have 1 option.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why are you using two different accounts to respond. SOWARDCUSTOMS said in the first sentence that the fade control was added, but ramrtman said he told me what needs to be done. You don't see that as confusing to others?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, I'm done with this conversation. How am I supposed to know that both accounts are yours? When I asked for assistance and got a response from one person, then another response from a different account tells me I only have one option. That response wasn't helpful as there could have been other options. You're being an *** and based on your combined post count, I can see you offer no help to others. You can move on now, you're just wasting people's time.

SOWARDCUSTOMS

Reaction score
Ive been on forums for years and have had over 15 dodge rams in my lifetime. Ive worked at a Chrysler dealer for over 25 years I may have some knowledge about them. You are right Im done trying to help you. You are obviously beyond help. Have a great day..

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Genuine curiosity, why does one have a different username for work vs home? I don't think I've ever seen that before and it seems weird but maybe I'm missing something?
Agreed. Besides being weird it's confusing for everyone when responses from both accounts are posted in the same thread.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, you guys are saying that I'm NOT the crazy one?
Whoa, slow your roll there cowboy...we can't know whether you're crazy or not. But we are agreeing with you about using two different accounts. :p Pretty sure there's a little bit of crazy in everyone.

Papabear_08

Reaction score
Lol but on a serious note, I’d like to revisit this thread from the top if we could. I have a Rebel and I don’t have the option to lower the brightness of my interior lighting or the ability to turn on all lights at once. Also, I recently swapped out the interior bulbs for Led which are bright as heck. Almost too bright so I’d love to be able to dim them a tad. Would it be a simple hardware swap to make this happen? Here is a photo of the current light switch I have.

Attachments

• 42444C78-BD03-48AA-B6A1-7C5803A90257.jpeg
    42444C78-BD03-48AA-B6A1-7C5803A90257.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently purchased the Laramie switch from my dealer for about $35. It has the ambient light dimmer dial next to the other dial. It took about 5 minutes to swap out. The second dial doesn't do anything yet because as I was instructed by SOWARDCUSTOMS, I need to get the new switch programmed. It looks like he removed all of his posts above, which really makes this thread worthless today, but it is, what it is.

Anybody in the Orlando area know how to get this programmed for a decent price? The dealers all seem to want $150 to program it. Will AlphaOBD stick if the dealer needs to reflash my system?

vadedram

Reaction score
So, I have been so confused with both my trucks interior lighting and all of the ambient lighting threads out there. Anyways, I have a 2019 Rebel. I have both dials. One for "Ambient" lighting and the other for the Instrument Cluster/screens...........The Cluster dial dims the cluster, the Ambient dial does absolutely nothing except dim the tiny little overhead map light or accent light that shines down on the center console.

All the threads out there say that if i dont have some kind of lighting package that is all it is supposed to do......

Anyways, I have floor lighting and I have never seen it on except when doors are open. Would that floor lighting not be considered "Ambient" lighting and is that Ambient lighting dial not supposed to adjust its brightness. And why cant i have the floor lighting on while im driving.....

Also, I have had a Laramie in the past fully loaded with all the lighting on the door handles and such. I see slots on my door handles where lights would probably be but have never seen lights on. Are there slots above the interior door handles for lights on trucks that come with ambient interior lighting and on trucks that do now. Or should I have lighting.....

oh, and I bought it used, so I can't say if its ever worked or not and it just stopped, I just have never noticed it working ever since I have had it.

Nick57

Reaction score
The foot lighting and ambient lighting are two different things. All the trim levels will have the openings for the ambient lighting even if it isn't there or even available on your trim because they all use the same mold to make the panels. :) Hope this helps

vadedram

Reaction score
The foot lighting and ambient lighting are two different things. All the trim levels will have the openings for the ambient lighting even if it isn't there or even available on your trim because they all use the same mold to make the panels. :) Hope this helps
Yeah thats what I figured. Finally noticed the floor lights only come on when door is open or dome light is on. Wonder if I can wire the floor lights up with the dumb little tiny map light. I miss seeing the floor when I drop crap while driving. I came from a 2014 fully loaded Laramie 2500.....slowly finding out what I am missing. The idea that the ambient lighting dial is only for that tiny map light is probably the dumbest thing ive seen so far. I have that same little light in my VW Jetta, its brighter and is nice. Had it in the Laramie too, but this one on brightest setting seems pretty useless. If they have a dial for it, it needs to be brighter.

Nick57

Reaction score
Bump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What information are you looking for specifically? What yr /trim lvl is your truck? Does it have both switches are only the one? If you have 2 switches do you have the dash lights for the ambient lighting or are they missing? Asking a question instead of just saying bump will generally yield better and faster responses. :)

Users who are viewing this thread