5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ambient light sensor calibration?

ablock

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with 12" UConnect. Yesterday when I was driving about 3 p.m., the rain started and sky dimmed somewhat (but this is California, we don't really dark storm clouds). The system suddenly shifted into night mode, which significantly dims the brightness level of the dash indicators, UConnect screen, and central stack control backlights. It was so dim that given the ambient brightness it was hard to see the UConnect screen.

You can adjust the brightness of the UConnect display in the Display settings. I had mine set to Auto, which is nice because when it is fully dark the screen dims way down. I turned off Auto mode and set the brightness with headlights on to level 7. That helps during the day but could be too bright at night. I'm wondering whether the dealer has any ability to control the ambient light sensor sensitivity such that it doesn't over-dim the displays when it is not fully dark outside.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with 12" UConnect. Yesterday when I was driving about 3 p.m., the rain started and sky dimmed somewhat (but this is California, we don't really dark storm clouds). The system suddenly shifted into night mode, which significantly dims the brightness level of the dash indicators, UConnect screen, and central stack control backlights. It was so dim that given the ambient brightness it was hard to see the UConnect screen.

You can adjust the brightness of the UConnect display in the Display settings. I had mine set to Auto, which is nice because when it is fully dark the screen dims way down. I turned off Auto mode and set the brightness with headlights on to level 7. That helps during the day but could be too bright at night. I'm wondering whether the dealer has any ability to control the ambient light sensor sensitivity such that it doesn't over-dim the displays when it is not fully dark outside.

I totally agree with you and there are a few complains of this on these forums. I wonder if the lens on the ambient sensor can be set to allow more light in?

ablock

Reaction score
I wonder if the lens on the ambient sensor can be set to allow more light in?
Seems unlikely, though it would obviously be easy to go the other way. A more straightforward fix would probably be a firmware update that changes the mapping between the sensor output and the screen brightness setting. Probably shouldn't hold our collective breath.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems unlikely, though it would obviously be easy to go the other way. A more straightforward fix would probably be a firmware update that changes the mapping between the sensor output and the screen brightness setting. Probably shouldn't hold our collective breath.

We can turn the dial to brightest setting but then at night you have turn it down because of how bright it is. I have been leaving it below the brightest notch so the ambient lighting works but I hate the was the cluster looks when it's daylight but not bright enough to trigger the sensor

ablock

Reaction score
We can turn the dial to brightest setting but then at night you have turn it down because of how bright it is. I have been leaving it below the brightest notch so the ambient lighting works but I hate the was the cluster looks when it's daylight but not bright enough to trigger the sensor
Yes, I hate having to fiddle with it. I will test to see whether manual brightness level 7 is excessive for night driving.

Users who are viewing this thread