5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ambient light control

Foxnickm

Reaction score
hey guys, just purchased a used 2019 bighorn/longhorn with upgraded LED light package.. i am having issues with my ambient dimmer switch, when my overhead lights are on, the dimmer switch does not dim or brighten any overhead lighting, and also my map light only works when i turn on all the overhead lights. has anyone else had these issues, or does anyone know if there’s a way to check the dimmer switch wiring or fuse ?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I've misread your description, my apologies, but the ambient light control only dims the ambient lamps on the instrument panel, doors, and floors.

By "overhead" I assume you mean the lighting on the headliner?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044588 miles.

Foxnickm

Reaction score
If I've misread your description, my apologies, but the ambient light control only dims the ambient lamps on the instrument panel, doors, and floors.

By "overhead" I assume you mean the lighting on the headliner?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044588 miles.
yes sorry it’s my lighting on the headliner: my dome lights all work and the map light works as well, but only when i turn them all on at once, the dimmer switch to the left of the steering wheel is what’s not working. i have two dimmer switches the one to control the dash board and radio works and dims and brightens, however the ambient switch next to that, does absolutely nothing

midntrdr

Reaction score
Big horns don’t have ambient lighting (I had a 2019). If you look in the overhead console in the center there is one super tiny led and it shines down on the cup holder area (barely). That dial adjust the lighting for that one little led.

Foxnickm

Reaction score
Big horns don’t have ambient lighting (I had a 2019). If you look in the overhead console in the center there is one super tiny led and it shines down on the cup holder area (barely). That dial adjust the lighting for that one little led.
yes, but that’s where i’m having the issue, that super tiny light only comes on with the rest of the interior lights, ( when doors open) isn’t it supposed to stay on during the night time?

midntrdr

Reaction score
Yes, it should stay on, but it’s so faint even in its highest setting on the dial that you can barely see its on. If you have it dimmed at all you won’t see it. Hold your hand right underneath it when it’s all the way. It’s honestly laughable. The Led package is just headlights and taillights, you don’t get ambient lighting in the foot wells and doors until Laramie and up.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, it should stay on, but it’s so faint even in its highest setting on the dial that you can barely see its on. If you have it dimmed at all you won’t see it. Hold your hand right underneath it when it’s all the way. It’s honestly laughable. The Led package is just headlights and taillights, you don’t get ambient lighting in the foot wells and doors until Laramie and up.
I wasn't sure, but you seem to confirm that the ambient lighting package only comes Laramie and up?

My previous Rams had the small LED lamp in the overhead console and there's no way you'd know it was working unless it was at night.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 044609 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread