5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Side Step Suggestions?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tend to stay away from Amazon for things like this. We've been burned in the past for a tonneau cover and bumper step. Lots of counterfit stuff on Amazon now, and you also never know if you'll get something another buyer returned for some reason. Since Amazon doesn't take the time to verify what was in the box when they received it back. You might consider buying from a reputable retailer. Might cost a little more but the peace of mind is worth it IMHO.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tend to stay away from Amazon for things like this. We've been burned in the past for a tonneau cover and bumper step. Lots of counterfit stuff on Amazon now, and you also never know if you'll get something another buyer returned for some reason. Since Amazon doesn't take the time to verify what was in the box when they received it back. You might consider buying from a reputable retailer. Might cost a little more but the peace of mind is worth it IMHO.
Amazon doesn't resell. The only way you are going to get a returned item, is if it was a third party seller. Everything Amazon gets returned, gets wholesaled off. I live near an Amazon warehouse, and there are local shops that sell the returned merchandise for pennies on the dollar. The only time I have had problems with anything Amazon, was with UPS shipping, damaging items, which Amazon replaced. I have bought side steps, and tonneaus for past vehicles and had no problems.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had good luck majority of time, but did have 1 slip through the crack. Someone swapped ebay special headlights for an expensive set. I returned and got money no issues

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score

I think these are the ones that I have. If so the center mount was off by a 1/2", so I cut it off. The front and rear mount have been holding strong for 3 years with no issues and they still look new. Even with the center not bolted up, I would still recommend them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Amazon doesn't resell. The only way you are going to get a returned item, is if it was a third party seller. Everything Amazon gets returned, gets wholesaled off. I live near an Amazon warehouse, and there are local shops that sell the returned merchandise for pennies on the dollar. The only time I have had problems with anything Amazon, was with UPS shipping, damaging items, which Amazon replaced. I have bought side steps, and tonneaus for past vehicles and had no problems.
You're right but you're splitting hairs. And Amazon works with tons of resellers. The fact is those items were sold by Amazon and they are responsible for any problems with what they sell. If you haven't had any issues that's great. But I and some of my family members have had issues. They'll usually take it back as long as you return it within the defined time period, but it's not worth the hassle of repackaging something like a tonneau cover or side steps, then taking it to UPS. But that's my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You're right but you're splitting hairs. And Amazon works with tons of resellers. The fact is those items were sold by Amazon and they are responsible for any problems with what they sell. If you haven't had any issues that's great. But I and some of my family members have had issues. They'll usually take it back as long as you return it within the defined time period, but it's not worth the hassle of repackaging something like a tonneau cover or side steps, then taking it to UPS. But that's my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.
I'm saying they do not resell returns that they sell, they wholesale them. If a third party sells it, it goes back to them, and they may resell them. Amazon always backs their sellers. Large items, UPS picks up. I bought an attic ladder from Amazon. Three times it was damaged from UPS tossing them around during shipping, because they were large and bulky. Every time, I reported it to Amazon. They sent UPS to pick up, and shipped another. Eventually UPS learned, after having to pay for the item three times, and took more care. My opinion is, as long as they take care of any problems, I'm fine. I've had more problems with local retailer shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread