5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing How The "Ride Feel" Can Vary Soooo Much RAM To RAM....

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
It just blows my mind. For starters, let me say the 2019 i own is my approx 15th RAM in 10 years (don't even...lol) We go thru them pretty quik, changing out sometimes as soon as 6 months, once traded out of a RAM truck lease that was one month old cuz hubby didn't like that he couldn't "mod it"... yup crazy, but its our thang...lol)

But anyway, staying "true to form", we are thinking of upgrading one of our 2019 RAMS to a 4X4 equipped with a few other options we didn't get when purchasing our 2019 in Dec...... So we spent the weekend looking & test driving, and we really had our minds blown that the Laramie we drove with the 3.92 gears 4x2 felt so sluggish compared to our Big Horn 4x2 with same gear..., one of the 4x4 3.92 etorque that we drove felt more peppy than the counterpart with a hemi, but then a different with no etorque 4x4 with 3.92 felt slower than one with, but then the 2nd it was the opposite...(and we were comparing same gear 3.92 with anti slip in all of them)

We were talking with one Mgr who wondered if it might be the added weight of Laramie's options, but a few hundred pounds shouldn't be responsible for a noticeable ride difference. And then i asked my husband if the 22's could make it laggy, but he said it shouldn't be that noticeable even with 22 inch wheels cuz its no bigger rotation than turning the 20's, the wheel is bigger but the tire profile is same as 20's...

It was really weird, and i know 99% of y'all can't even imagine doing all the test driving and comparison we did, but we walked away pretty shocked. Now keep in mind, we bandied about the 3rd & 4th Gen models and never noticed differences IF they were spec'ced exactly the same, but we DID within this Gen....

Conclusion: Make sure if you take a RAM for a test drive and fall in love (as you will : ) and you've driven the one you want but its not the right color (or equipped how you want it) and then you either have dealer trade or you find one at a different dealer, test drive the actual unit that comes in unless one having slight more "oomph" than the other is not an issue for you - - we are oomph junkies, even had a 2010 Ram Vipor truck back in the day : )

Last edited:

smiles5619

Reaction score
You can't be anymore right on this. I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Sport in December 2018. I loved the truck but made the mistake to purchase from what the inventory was at the dealer. So, I gave up some important accessories I wanted. All in all, I was happy and impressed with the truck. However, in March, I was having issues with the truck and the Sport had now come with the 12 inch Uconnect, it hadn't been an available option when I purchased. After doing some number crunching, the dealer gave me a good trade in on my 19 Ram and I purchased another 19 Ram 1500 Sport.

This time however it came with all the bells and whistles I wanted, including the 12 inch Uconnect, cross paths warning and parking assist, all leather with heated/cooling seats, Alpine stereo with subwoofer, 22 inch rims just to name a few. This new truck was found at another dealer and my dealer had it shipped in for me. I'll say, my dealer has and went over and beyond for me through and through. I can't be any happier with this new truck, I find it rides better and is a lot quieter inside.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
You’re right an island might not be a bad idea lol. I really wanted this truck in different color since I was coming from a black car but I’ve been extremely happy that I got it in black. The Ram in black with the sport hood just looks so mean and aggressive to me and I love that.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of that Sport Hood.... Yet another thing i "lusted after" for about 6 months since Oct, but there were no Laramies available when i purchased, and the Big Horn's Equipment 2 group had so many features, i was like, "ah, i can live without the hood, on a black truck, ya barely see it anyway"...

So (as outlined in 1st post here) after a few months i went looking and FINALLY dealer here had one (we live in a really hodunk town : ) and asides from the disappointment in driving the Laramie 3.92 4x2 in terms of "pep", that sport hood came up way too high for me. I felt my vision was obstucted (i'm only 5'2) about 15%, to the point where i couldn't really determine where the nose ended, so when i was trying to back it out WITHOUT hitting the car parked next to me (i am NOT the best driver : ) i had to back up & reverse like 10 times! On my 2018 Sport, the scoops were far away from the windshield, didn't obstruct AT ALL....

My point in all this is "do not waste time lusting after ANYTHING, "Drive It, Use It, Listen To It, Watch It" (whatever the item is : ) etc BEFORE wasting months & months "wanting it"....

I completely agree the hood "looks really good and completes the Laramie look", but for me, i purposely got a 4x2 THIS time and left it completely stock, (and i feel the ALL BLACK appearance prevents it from looking like a Paw Paw truck) so i could "zip, zip all over the place". Well barely being able to see with that honking hood would've greatly reduced my ability to zip, it would've turned me into a Maw Maw when ever backing out anywhere....can't have that lol

(Man, i hope me saying that, "get in your head" and make you hate the hood now : ) lol i'm sure there's no danger of that, anyone 5'6 or taller would prolly have zero issues with the visibility : )

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Lol with me being 6’2” my sport hood was never an issue. Now my wife is only 5’1” so when she drives I’m guessing she compensates for that ? All I know if I needed ( ok wanted ) that hood to beef up my front end lol.

gatesb77

Reaction score
Speaking of that Sport Hood.... Yet another thing i "lusted after" for about 6 months since Oct, but there were no Laramies available when i purchased, and the Big Horn's Equipment 2 group had so many features, i was like, "ah, i can live without the hood, on a black truck, ya barely see it anyway"...

So (as outlined in 1st post here) after a few months i went looking and FINALLY dealer here had one (we live in a really hodunk town : ) and asides from the disappointment in driving the Laramie 3.92 4x2 in terms of "pep", that sport hood came up way too high for me. I felt my vision was obstucted (i'm only 5'2) about 15%, to the point where i couldn't really determine where the nose ended, so when i was trying to back it out WITHOUT hitting the car parked next to me (i am NOT the best driver : ) i had to back up & reverse like 10 times! On my 2018 Sport, the scoops were far away from the windshield, didn't obstruct AT ALL....

My point in all this is "do not waste time lusting after ANYTHING, "Drive It, Use It, Listen To It, Watch It" (whatever the item is : ) etc BEFORE wasting months & months "wanting it"....

I completely agree the hood "looks really good and completes the Laramie look", but for me, i purposely got a 4x2 THIS time and left it completely stock, (and i feel the ALL BLACK appearance prevents it from looking like a Paw Paw truck) so i could "zip, zip all over the place". Well barely being able to see with that honking hood would've greatly reduced my ability to zip, it would've turned me into a Maw Maw when ever backing out anywhere....can't have that lol

(Man, i hope me saying that, "get in your head" and make you hate the hood now : ) lol i'm sure there's no danger of that, anyone 5'6 or taller would prolly have zero issues with the visibility : )

Haha nope I still love the sport hood. You know I never really thought about it obstructing the view. I’m only 5’4 and this is my first full sized truck. But honestly I’ve never been able to see the front nose of any car I’ve had. I usually sit a little bit back/reclined so I guess I’ve gotten good at guessing where the front end is . And now with the new truck having the sensors in the front it’s a huge deal and has come in handy a couple times in the little less than a week I’ve been driving it. The truck really actually feels more nimble than the charger I traded in for it. I’ve been very happy with it. I was torn as I put a lot of personal touches into the charger but so far I haven’t missed it at all and still look back at the Ram .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I really don't see why a 3.92 geared, same engine 4x2 would be slower or more sluggish... However I do remember wayyyyy back in the late 1990's taking a shop/service truck for a couple days while they rebuilt the 400 small block in my 77' Chevy... this shop truck was a late 80's std cab 1500 with the stock 350 and it felt like an absolute rocket ship.

When I returned the truck to pick up my 7000 lb 4x4 400 SB 4.10 (absolute dog power wise), I told the owner that his truck was like being in a NASCAR. He said that he'd never had a stock vehicle with as much power as that one had, and he raced on the weekends as well as had a very busy independent repair shop, so he saw/drove many cars and trucks. Just goes to show that sometimes everything comes together on a particular engine. I know I had the opposite in my 77.. :(

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It just blows my mind. For starters, let me say the 2019 i own is my approx 15th RAM in 10 years (don't even...lol) We go thru them pretty quik, changing out sometimes as soon as 6 months, once traded out of a RAM truck lease that was one month old cuz hubby didn't like that he couldn't "mod it"... yup crazy, but its our thang...lol)

But anyway, staying "true to form", we are thinking of upgrading one of our 2019 RAMS to a 4X4 equipped with a few other options we didn't get when purchasing our 2019 in Dec...... So we spent the weekend looking & test driving, and we really had our minds blown that the Laramie we drove with the 3.92 gears 4x2 felt so sluggish compared to our Big Horn 4x2 with same gear..., one of the 4x4 3.92 etorque that we drove felt more peppy than the counterpart with a hemi, but then a different with no etorque 4x4 with 3.92 felt slower than one with, but then the 2nd it was the opposite...(and we were comparing same gear 3.92 with anti slip in all of them)

We were talking with one Mgr who wondered if it might be the added weight of Laramie's options, but a few hundred pounds shouldn't be responsible for a noticeable ride difference. And then i asked my husband if the 22's could make it laggy, but he said it shouldn't be that noticeable even with 22 inch wheels cuz its no bigger rotation than turning the 20's, the wheel is bigger but the tire profile is same as 20's...

It was really weird, and i know 99% of y'all can't even imagine doing all the test driving and comparison we did, but we walked away pretty shocked. Now keep in mind, we bandied about the 3rd & 4th Gen models and never noticed differences IF they were spec'ced exactly the same, but we DID within this Gen....

Conclusion: Make sure if you take a RAM for a test drive and fall in love (as you will : ) and you've driven the one you want but its not the right color (or equipped how you want it) and then you either have dealer trade or you find one at a different dealer, test drive the actual unit that comes in unless one having slight more "oomph" than the other is not an issue for you - - we are oomph junkies, even had a 2010 Ram Vipor truck back in the day : )
I got the blacked out Laramie on 22’s and 3:21 gears. I’m going to say I got lucky and got one of those freak trucks from the assembly line because man, this bad boy rips when I floor it. I still can’t believe how fast this truck is. And smooth as butter when I cruise.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
I got the blacked out Laramie on 22’s and 3:21 gears. I’m going to say I got lucky and got one of those freak trucks from the assembly line because man, this bad boy rips when I floor it. I still can’t believe how fast this truck is. And smooth as butter when I cruise.
Hi ortiz!

you definitely DID get lucky!! because as we all are finding out, "these 5th Gen Rams are NOT all created equal"...

That dang Laramie i drove just wouldn't move, i was sooooo disappointed, i had talked him down to $43,000 Out The Door, on a Level 2 $56,000 MSRP, went there to go drive it and was like, "omg, is there 1000 lbs of bricks in the bed?!"

I had to check the window sticker that maybe it was 4x4 and i hadn't noticed or if the 3.92 gear i thought it had was from another sticker and i might've confused it, ... but no, it had 3.92 and was a 4x2, i think/thought for sure its them honking 22 inch wheels, but if you have those, then maybe that's not why....

well, wait... u say when you "floor it"? i'm talking about when i tap it (like pulling out of driveway /starting from a stop sign) my 3.92 just flies from Day ONE when i drover her (it cinched the purchase : ) , where as that one i really had to press the pedal down so much more to get it to do ANYTHING..... So when we went to drive it again because my husband said, "maybe the adjustable pedal was "all the way down" so tried that with it all the way UP, still NOPE!

Last edited:

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Could it be that during the test drives of these trucks that the throttle response on the software side of the house has acclimated to the poor drive-ability and perhaps a battery reset would fix it by a re-learn?

I test drove about 10 of them before I purchased what I wanted, none of them seemed to feel THAT much different.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
^^^. How’s your husband enjoying the newer truck ?

lol...We ordered the wheels & tires yesterday, neither one of want any part of it till those wheels are "gonzo".... we are officially, "chrome wheel snobs"......eeeesshhhh lol

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Could it be that during the test drives of these trucks that the throttle response on the software side of the house has acclimated to the poor drive-ability and perhaps a battery reset would fix it by a re-learn?

I test drove about 10 of them before I purchased what I wanted, none of them seemed to feel THAT much different.

Could be, but i won't purchase a truck in the hopes it'll break in and ride as good as a truck i already own -'specially when i'd be coming out of a 2019 RAM into a 2019 Ram...lol : )

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Just an observation, but I noticed that different Ram 1500s on my dealers lot had different tires: Eagle Touring, Dueler HL, Wranger SRAs, and Goodyear Fortitudes. When I test drove a Big Horn back in April of last year, I remarked to the salesman that I could barely hear any tire noise. When I received my ordered QC it came with Fortitudes, and I noticed some tire noise right away. The ride may have been different, too, but I'm not sure.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 013318 miles.

PorBoy

Reaction score
I have to say that mine came with those Fortitudes and they were very quiet. Outside of them sucking in nails like a Hoover, they were alright.

Jako

Reaction score
I have to say that mine came with those Fortitudes and they were very quiet. Outside of them sucking in nails like a Hoover, they were alright.
Happy with my Fortitudes, don't notice road noise, 6,000 miles. Bought specific tires for reduced road noise on my wife's 2006 Honda Accord, made a difference.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Just an observation, but I noticed that different Ram 1500s on my dealers lot had different tires: Eagle Touring, Dueler HL, Wranger SRAs, and Goodyear Fortitudes. When I test drove a Big Horn back in April of last year, I remarked to the salesman that I could barely hear any tire noise. When I received my ordered QC it came with Fortitudes, and I noticed some tire noise right away. The ride may have been different, too, but I'm not sure.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 013318 miles.
I noticed the same thing...My limited with 285 45 r22 goodyear eagles was rough in parking lots and gave an annoying slap slap slap on the highway with pavement cracks and tar strips..... I didn't want to go to 20" wheels so I changed to 275 50 r22s and immediately noticed an improvement in the quietness, smoothness of the ride..... much less slap on the highway... possibly due to slightly higher side walls?.. I had them Road Force balanced and there is probably a 25 to 30% Improvement in ride quality......

mjamesgt

Reaction score
While the rotating diameter of the 20s and 22s is the same, the weight is certainly not. It is also multiplied as that is rotational weight. A 4x4 3.92 with 18s is going to feel faster than 20s which will feel faster than 22s. Rotating weight is worth much more than static weight.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Count me on the 'lucky' camp as well. My Limited with 3.21 feels like a beast. So peppy and plush.
The air ride is amazing. No complaints!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While the rotating diameter of the 20s and 22s is the same, the weight is certainly not. It is also multiplied as that is rotational weight. A 4x4 3.92 with 18s is going to feel faster than 20s which will feel faster than 22s. Rotating weight is worth much more than static weight.

"all things being equal", you're darn right!

Wildcard: The 18in wheels are E-rated Mud-terrain tires with lots of rubber and thick sidewalls!
And now we're back to slow.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Count me on the 'lucky' camp as well. My Limited with 3.21 feels like a beast. So peppy and plush.
The air ride is amazing. No complaints!
Same here. I did change the tires right away and it made a good ride a great ride. My truck launches and accelerates really quickly. It also seems to roll along very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread