5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I Crazy?

schwegel89

Reaction score
So I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 BigHorn on April 20,2019. My girlfriend also purchased a Jeep Cherokee that same day. It was raining and overcast that day. While my paperwork was pretty much done they pulled my truck around and said we can go to lunch while they were getting her paper work ready. We opted to just go let the dog out and then go right back to the dealership. We go to the house which is 5 minutes away and while my girlfriend is letting the dog out I’m checking out my new truck. Low and behold right on the bed, where the pinstripe is there are 2 decent size dents and a scratch. The scratch is actually under the pinstripe too so whoever put that on didn’t tell the dealership. At this point I’m fuming because that person should have told the dealership as well as the detailers, how do they not see it. We get back to the dealership and good news, the salesman tells me he knows I didn’t do it(he didn’t see it, but it happens sometimes with the haulers). He said that they’d have a dent guy come, take the dents out and paint it to make it look like factory. There is also a mark in the plastic bed piece on top but I’m not too worried about that. What I am worried about is that I dropped my truck off there last Thursday. They’ve had it for a week now. This is a brand new truck, I shouldn’t have to deal with this. I’m working with him and told him as long as it comes out looking perfect/factory I’ll keep this truck. I’m not asking for a new truck off the lot that has 0 damage. But still I’m getting a new truck that already had to of had work done to it, I’m getting a truck that I already put a deposit down on and signed the paperwork 4/20 and it’s now 5/2 and I don’t have in, which my first payment is 5/20, it’s just such an inconvenience to me. So my question is, am I crazy for asking them to throw in a bed liner and hitch(that I would even install to save them money on the shop labor). Is that asking too much? I asked them to throw in the bed-liner and hitch or take money off the truck. With my girlfriends car the first Cherokee that came over had a check engine light on so we had to wait for another one to come to the lot, that comes and it has 800 miles on it(suppose to be new), which that means it was a demo, they told us the manager was driving it. Which they did throw in a extended warranty for my girlfriend since it was a demo which was nice and that took care of that. As for me with my truck being damaged, having to get fixed, me not having the truck, etc. Is what I’m asking for excessive or am I in the right? Thank you for reading and I look forward to your answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwegel89

Reaction score
I would not take delivery of the Ram. I would ask for a replacement instead of doing all the repairs to make it right.

I was thinking of that but he said the dent guy was able to pop out the dents and it looks good as new. I believe it will be done today so when I go up there if it isn’t 100% I’m asking for a new one

g_svan

Reaction score
It will always be a gamble on your side... I would ask for new truck, or if you're super happy with dent repair - at least bed liner/hitch (y)(y)

GL!!

schwegel89

Reaction score
It will always be a gamble on your side... I would ask for new truck, or if you're super happy with dent repair - at least bed liner/hitch (y)(y)

GL!!

Thank you! I will post an update once I go to get it

Rototerrier

Reaction score
A good PDR guy can take the dent out and you'll never notice. When I took delivery of mine, it had a tiny dent on the rounded corner behind the rear door. Nowhere for a PDF guy to access it. And it also chipped the paint a little, which disqualifies it for PDR "pulling" as it could rip the paint.

They threw in a free bottle of touch up paint :)

Because it's at such a steep angle and the light already reflects heavily in that area, you can only see it if you hit it at the perfect angle and know where to look. Wasn't worth the risk or hassle. It'll get more dents eventually. At least now, I don't have to freak out about getting that first dent.

I don't think you are crazy at all. We all have our tolerance levels and you have to do what you have to do. I think going the PDR route is the best solution. I've had it done many times and have never had a bad job or regret.

My father actually made a living traveling to different dealers all week doing PDR and bumper/dent repair for new and used vehicles. Almost every single day he had at least 1 new vehicle to repair. Most people never even know their shiny new toys have already had work. Ignorance is bliss.

schwegel89

Reaction score
A good PDR guy can take the dent out and you'll never notice. When I took delivery of mine, it had a tiny dent on the rounded corner behind the rear door. Nowhere for a PDF guy to access it. And it also chipped the paint a little, which disqualifies it for PDR "pulling" as it could rip the paint.

They threw in a free bottle of touch up paint :)

Because it's at such a steep angle and the light already reflects heavily in that area, you can only see it if you hit it at the perfect angle and know where to look. Wasn't worth the risk or hassle. It'll get more dents eventually. At least now, I don't have to freak out about getting that first dent.

I don't think you are crazy at all. We all have our tolerance levels and you have to do what you have to do. I think going the PDR route is the best solution. I've had it done many times and have never had a bad job or regret.

My father actually made a living traveling to different dealers all week doing PDR and bumper/dent repair for new and used vehicles. Almost every single day he had at least 1 new vehicle to repair. Most people never even know their shiny new toys have already had work. Ignorance is bliss.

They did say it was a easy fix and the dent would be easy to pop out. As long as it looks Factory I’m ok with it. I have seen some dent guys work magic on other vehicles.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
They did say it was a easy fix and the dent would be easy to pop out. As long as it looks Factory I’m ok with it. I have seen some dent guys work magic on other vehicles.

I had someone put a door dent in the side of a brand spankin new M5. I'd had it less than a week, still with the temp tag. I was in a conference at a local resort and my wife saw it happen. Mini van pulled up next to it, kid opened door into it and the parents hustled the kids back into the van and they immediately left. She couldn't stop them. She waited all day before telling me, as to not ruin my conferences. I was much more high strung back then and would have blown a gasket.

Anyway, found a good PDR guy that I still use to this day. He worked that dent out to perfection. After that experience, I don't sweat most dents. In the case of my '03 RAM, there's hardly a spot where there isn't a dent! It wears them as a badge of honor. Real work truck.

schwegel89

Reaction score
I had someone put a door dent in the side of a brand spankin new M5. I'd had it less than a week, still with the temp tag. I was in a conference at a local resort and my wife saw it happen. Mini van pulled up next to it, kid opened door into it and the parents hustled the kids back into the van and they immediately left. She couldn't stop them. She waited all day before telling me, as to not ruin my conferences. I was much more high strung back then and would have blown a gasket.

Anyway, found a good PDR guy that I still use to this day. He worked that dent out to perfection. After that experience, I don't sweat most dents. In the case of my '03 RAM, there's hardly a spot where there isn't a dent! It wears them as a badge of honor. Real work truck.

Oh wow. Yea I’m very particular and I try to let things go but these dents had significant size to them and the scratch was down to the metal. He said no problem, they’d take care of it all. I’m just hoping that the dent and the paint come out and look Factory. As long as they can do that I’ll take delivery of the truck. I’d still like some compensation for having to go through this. I bought the truck and haven’t even had the chance to enjoy it, it’s been at the dealership this whole time lol.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Take solace in the fact you'll probably have it back to the dealer many more times. This is just the beginning of the journey. Unless you are lucky and manage to avoid the litany of issues plaguing these things, or choose to ignore them.

sgk

Reaction score
Take solace in the fact you'll probably have it back to the dealer many more times. This is just the beginning of the journey. Unless you are lucky and manage to avoid the litany of issues plaguing these things, or choose to ignore them.
Don't forget the recalls. If this is the dealership you plan to do your ongoing service work with I would be kind (I don't mean lenient)

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score

or there is the THIRD option which is the journey i am on (already have had 3 service visits the first 60 days of ownership : ) : )

I'm resigned this gen has lots of kinks to be worked out and multiple service dept visits are more than likely in this "5th gen's 1st gen" future, but as long as they are tweaks, fasteners & replaceable "part handy & accessible" i'm ok with that : )

After u've owned a vehicle (2004 Ram Viper truck) that was caught up in the "messiest recall (Tecata airbag) ever", you find yourself saying, "i can live with a few fixes & visits on a Saturday morning appts to Service Dept"....She is WORTH IT : )

(and let us not forget, this is 2019, not 2010, and "nobody builds stuff like they used to"....more than likely every owner of ANY new design from any mfg going forward we will meet along the way on our RAM Journey : )

schwegel89

Reaction score

Oh no. I have seen they’ve been having quite a few issues. If that’s the case I’ll try to lemon it if it has tons of issues. Hopefully I’ll be lucky.

schwegel89

Reaction score
Don't forget the recalls. If this is the dealership you plan to do your ongoing service work with I would be kind (I don't mean lenient)

Oh yea. I’m very respectable to them, just firm.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
PDR is no biggie, I would be more concerned about the scratch. Depending on the severity, the paint usually has to be blended to make it unnoticeable, which means the whole panel should be painted, as well as the surrounding areas. If they touch it up, I wouldnt accept it, and actually, nor would I want a brand new truck that's already been painted. That's just my opinion.

schwegel89

Reaction score
PDR is no biggie, I would be more concerned about the scratch. Depending on the severity, the paint usually has to be blended to make it unnoticeable, which means the whole panel should be painted, as well as the surrounding areas. If they touch it up, I wouldnt accept it, and actually, nor would I want a brand new truck that's already been painted. That's just my opinion.

I feel the same way. But I think they are doing it the correct way. They have had it longer because they are waiting for a good day to paint it. My dad knows the ins and outs of painting and is going to come with me to look at it and make sure it’s spot on.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to ask for the bed liner or hitch.

(and let us not forget, this is 2019, not 2010, and "nobody builds stuff like they used to"....more than likely every owner of ANY new design from any mfg going forward we will meet along the way on our RAM Journey : )

I'm glad they don't "build stuff like they used to". Everything evolves technologically, safety wise, etc. I'd take a brand new vehicle over one made in 2010 any day.

Also, not to be nitpicky, but your signature shows you have a "CumminGs". It's Cummins, no "G". :)

schwegel89

Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to ask for the bed liner or hitch.

I'm glad they don't "build stuff like they used to". Everything evolves technologically, safety wise, etc. I'd take a brand new vehicle over one made in 2010 any day.

Also, not to be nitpicky, but your signature shows you have a "CumminGs". It's Cummins, no "G". :)

I did. I sent him an email, so now I’m just waiting to hear back from him. I also saw that USAA is doing a 1,000 rebate and I have USAA I’m going to ask if they put that on and if not, can they.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fiancé purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee the other weekend. The day after purchase, we noticed a flaw in the paint on the roof. Our dealer took really good care of us. We took it back to the dealer, and after their body shop looked at the flaw, saw that they couldn't fix it without repainting the whole roof. Thankfully they had another of the exact same GC in their inventory which they swapped the original for. No questions asked.

schwegel89

Reaction score
My fiancé purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee the other weekend. The day after purchase, we noticed a flaw in the paint on the roof. Our dealer took really good care of us. We took it back to the dealer, and after their body shop looked at the flaw, saw that they couldn't fix it without repainting the whole roof. Thankfully they had another of the exact same GC in their inventory which they swapped the original for. No questions asked.

Once they call me I’m going to look at it and ask exactly what they did to it. If it comes to light that a ton of work had to be done I’m going to ask for a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread