5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternator Replacement

BayouGatorz

Reaction score
Hey all! I have a 2021 Ram with 59,757 miles and the alternator is not producing the appropriate amount of voltage. I am going to buy a new one and replace it, before I did I wanted to know if anyone knows if the eTorque engine alternator module can be removed from old alternator and placed in the new alternator. Appreciate any information on this issue.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey all! I have a 2021 Ram with 59,757 miles and the alternator is not producing the appropriate amount of voltage. I am going to buy a new one and replace it, before I did I wanted to know if anyone knows if the eTorque engine alternator module can be removed from old alternator and placed in the new alternator. Appreciate any information on this issue.
Can you share some details on your truck? Year, miles, engine, etc

Etorque is warrantied for 8 years I think so you might check with the dealer.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you have an ET then thats some kind of generator.

On a competitor's forum site (ramforum.com) there's a thread from 7-20-2021 that may apply to your situation. Otherwise that's about all I know. Here's a reply:

"Thought I'd share my recent troubles, if only to vent.

I have 42,000 miles on my Longhorn with eTorque. A couple weeks ago, I started getting the voltage trouble light with readings as low as 11.2V while driving. Hoping that it was just the battery and not a more expensive problem, I went ahead and put a new one in it. That apparently fixed the problem and I was back up to 14+V.

I took off on a trip to the Texas coast last Friday, a drive of about 2.5 hours, and started to get voltage trouble again. I located a dealership about 30 miles away, back the way I'd come, and almost made it. Lost power about 5 miles out. Long story short, I received a call from the service dept yesterday and they said it needs a new alternator (or is it a generator?). With labor, that is going to set me back about $1700 since I've exceeded the 35K warranty.

If that's not enough of a kick in the ****, the ETA on the new alternator is August 3 - about 2 weeks. Luckily, they provided me a loaner vehicle, a Jeep Renegade, to allow me to get around but I'm hamstrung without a truck to haul feed, etc...

I asked about an aftermarket alt/gen for a lower price, and was told that there's not any reliable ones at this time..."

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
454692-c39ee877dd9e2611d1ef91ee903a50c7.jpg

From the above thread on the other site.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
And for the last post, this comment, different thread but same topic...

Jun 29, 2024
"Yea my etorque motor generator unit went out on my 23 Ram 1500 with 45.000 mikes on it 3 weeks ago and dealer still has not got the part they said it is on backorder."

BayouGatorz

Reaction score

I shared the year and mileage in the post. 2021 59757 miles. 5.7L V-8 Hemi torque.

BayouGatorz

Reaction score

I shared the year and mileage in the post. 2021 59757 miles. 5.7L V-8 Hemi eTor

it is a 2021 with 59,757 miles and a 5.7L V-8 Hemi etorque.

Users who are viewing this thread