5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternator blew up?

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Well I think my alernator blew up last night. 35K mi on the truck. I left work last night drove it home fine and when I started it this morning it stalled first but it has always started rough when it is below 70 outside so I thought it was that. I got it started and then it said low battery 11.7V so I figured eh it'll charge on the way to work (I live 35mi from work down 55-65mph roads), but it kept dropping all the way to work. Called the dealer when I got to work and told them, jumped it and drove it over there. Sadly they had no loaners today but whatever at least I got it there lol. Luckily they said they can get it in first thing in the morning so I guess we'll see what happens!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your truck doesn't have an alternator. It's an etorque so it has the motor/generator unit. The 12v underhood battery is charged by the 48v battery unit. Did you at least open the hood and make sure the serpentine belt was intact?

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Your truck doesn't have an alternator. It's an etorque so it has the motor/generator unit. The 12v underhood battery is charged by the 48v battery unit. Did you at least open the hood and make sure the serpentine belt was intact?
Yeah I did that and checked some related fuses to etorque. belt was good.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Well dealer pulled some bs and said everything worked fine. They said they tested the battery and (their words) alternator and both were good. Then they said they disconnected a radio and light I had installed and said the current draw while the vehicle was off dropped from 28mA to 18mA and blamed the accessories for the problem. Those have been installed on the truck for a year and half and I have never had any issues prior (sure they could've blown up). The weirdest part is they were plugged back in when I picked the truck up today (if they were ever even unplugged in the first place). Why would they plug them back in if they were calling them the problem? I guess I'll see if I stall on the way home tonight lol.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wondering if something may have been lost in translation from dealer to you to forum, but ....
This radio and light you installed, did you ground to the battery terminal, or to the body ground?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Blew up? Did any fragments of the casing go through the hood? What did the detonation sound like? I've never seen one explode, interesting how it would do that with no reactive accelerant. What did the windings look like? Love some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread