5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternatives to Revolver X4?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a Revolver X4 cover on my '19. It is less than 3 years old and already has cracks in the vinyl covering, and the felt runners on the underside had come unglued and were hanging down like a ratty old headliner. I did treat the top with 303 Aerospace Protectant when it was new and 2 or 3 times since then. I don't think it should already have cracks.

So, while I totally love the functionality of the X4, I am now looking for something like it to replace it with.

Are there any covers out there that roll up on top of the bed (like the Revolver, and NOT like the Retrax, for example, that rolls up inside the bed)?

I had a BakFlip on a previous truck. Don't want another. I like the roll-up better.

I had a Retrax on a previous truck. Don't want another one like that. Even a small canister still takes up too much room inside the bed.

The Revolver is pretty much perfect for my needs. I just want something better quality. I emailed Bak on Thu about it. No response yet. If they respond and want to make it right somehow, that will be great and I'll stick with them. But, if the answer is "normal wear", then I definitely want to find a different brand, if I can.

Suggestions?

Attachments

• 2022-06-26 18.37.10.jpg
    2022-06-26 18.37.10.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 2022-06-26 18.36.29.jpg
    2022-06-26 18.36.29.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 72

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Truxedo Sentry CT
5 yr warranty
Review after 2 1/2 years

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truxedo Sentry CT
5 yr warranty
Review after 2 1/2 years

Thank you for that!

I looked up some video reviews on the Sentry CT. It looks cool. But, I definitely do not like the look of it as much as the Revolver. And definitely not for basically the same price.

If Bak does not come back with anything positive in a response to my inquiry about my old Revolver, I will probably give the Sentry a try. If Bak offers something meaningful on the old Revolver, then I'll stick with Bak.

I had a Bak Flip for 10 years, on my '09 RAM 1500. It was a bit worn and faded when I finally traded that truck in, but never an actual problem with it. Hopefully, this Revolver is somewhat of a fluke and Bak will offer to fix or replace it.

Last edited:

CNC99

Reaction score
Not sure if you have already resolved this. But the Gator HR1 on realtruck.com is another similar option.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if you have already resolved this. But the Gator HR1 on realtruck.com is another similar option.

Thanks. I haven't. I tried to order a Revolver today, but they said it doesn't work with the MFT. I'm working on clarification.

Meantime... that Gator HR1 looks virtually identical to the Truxedo Sentry CT. Is it?

CNC99

Reaction score
Thanks. I haven't. I tried to order a Revolver today, but they said it doesn't work with the MFT. I'm working on clarification.

Meantime... that Gator HR1 looks virtually identical to the Truxedo Sentry CT. Is it?
I haven't seen a Sentry CT in person. But from what I have seen they are very similar in function with minor differences in the way you lock it in place for the install and then the material used in the top cover. I had an older gator HR1 and loved it. It seems like they have improved on them since then from what I can tell.

If you end up going for any of them be sure to send realtruck a message here on the forums and they will hook you up with a discount. I am likely gonna pull the trigger on the HR1 and they offered me a pretty nice discount just by shooting them a message on the forums.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
I put a Revolver X4 cover on my '19. It is less than 3 years old and already has cracks in the vinyl covering, and the felt runners on the underside had come unglued and were hanging down like a ratty old headliner. I did treat the top with 303 Aerospace Protectant when it was new and 2 or 3 times since then. I don't think it should already have cracks.

So, while I totally love the functionality of the X4, I am now looking for something like it to replace it with.

Are there any covers out there that roll up on top of the bed (like the Revolver, and NOT like the Retrax, for example, that rolls up inside the bed)?

I had a BakFlip on a previous truck. Don't want another. I like the roll-up better.

I had a Retrax on a previous truck. Don't want another one like that. Even a small canister still takes up too much room inside the bed.

The Revolver is pretty much perfect for my needs. I just want something better quality. I emailed Bak on Thu about it. No response yet. If they respond and want to make it right somehow, that will be great and I'll stick with them. But, if the answer is "normal wear", then I definitely want to find a different brand, if I can.

Suggestions?

I have the same issue with my Revolver X4 where the felt runners came unglued.. Call Bak industries yesterday and they are replacing the whole cover.. I just hope they figured out this issue and resolved it

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my Revolver X4 where the felt runners came unglued.. Call Bak industries yesterday and they are replacing the whole cover.. I just hope they figured out this issue and resolved it

They should be sending you an X4s, which no longer has the felt. They have some kind of rubber pieces that clip on somehow (I think) instead of being glued on.

I ordered an X4s today. I strongly suspect the issue is indeed resolved. But, dadgum! That is some good customer service! When I first reached out to them about it, I was expecting to be told they would send me new felt with instructions on how to put it on. And then have another 2 or 3 years before it went bad again. Getting a whole new cover is just amazing!

Heck if it meant getting a brand new cover for free every 3 years, I would almost rather them still be using that same felt...

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
They should be sending you an X4s, which no longer has the felt. They have some kind of rubber pieces that clip on somehow (I think) instead of being glued on.

I ordered an X4s today. I strongly suspect the issue is indeed resolved. But, dadgum! That is some good customer service! When I first reached out to them about it, I was expecting to be told they would send me new felt with instructions on how to put it on. And then have another 2 or 3 years before it went bad again. Getting a whole new cover is just amazing!

Heck if it meant getting a brand new cover for free every 3 years, I would almost rather them still be using that same felt...
I have the x4s (my bad.. I should have clarified) but then now that you say that.. guessing the issue may not be resolved :( I'll attach a pic when I get home

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the x4s (my bad.. I should have clarified) but then now that you say that.. guessing the issue may not be resolved :( I'll attach a pic when I get home

If you have felt runners, then I think you have an X4, not an X4s. That is one of the main differences between them, as far as I know.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Pictures here will show you what the underside of the X4s looks like.

The regular X4 (which is what I had on my '19) is silver on the underside and has black felt runners down both sides of the underside. The X4s is black on the underside and has some kind of rubber or silicone thingies instead of felt.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
Pictures here will show you what the underside of the X4s looks like.

The regular X4 (which is what I had on my '19) is silver on the underside and has black felt runners down both sides of the underside. The X4s is black on the underside and has some kind of rubber or silicone thingies instead of felt.
Pics match what I have.. and my order receipt from BakFlip mentions:

BAK-80227 - BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau

The felt is still here too. You can see where it separated apart

20220717_141316.jpeg

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pics match what I have.. and my order receipt from BakFlip mentions:

BAK-80227 - BAK Revolver X4s Tonneau

The felt is still here too. You can see where it separated apart

View attachment 136174

Ah. That is totally different than the felt runners I was talking about. The runners used to go where those rubber pieces are that run down both sides (front to back) of the underside of the cover.

I think your picture is showing felt that is between the vinyl top and the metal slats.

ram!TH@rd

Reaction score
Ah. That is totally different than the felt runners I was talking about. The runners used to go where those rubber pieces are that run down both sides (front to back) of the underside of the cover.

I think your picture is showing felt that is between the vinyl top and the metal slats.
yep.. it appears the manufacture still has not found a solid fix. I bought mine on 2/2022.. barely past 6 months

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yep.. it appears the manufacture still has not found a solid fix. I bought mine on 2/2022.. barely past 6 months

My regular X4 was 3 years old and it never had any issue like that. Hopefully, you just got a bad one.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I received and installed my X4s today. I had to start with swapping the stupid factory trifold black bed rails out for the silver ones. With that and then installing the cover itself, it took me about an hour and half. It was hot out and I was working slowly. Plus I tend to be a bit meticulous about stuff like that.

The new cover fits and works perfectly. It is SO much better than that factory trifold POS.

I cannot say enough good things about Bak customer service. Very happy customer!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey @StuartV How well does the X4s keep the water out of the bed? My bakflip still leaked on sides and by tailgate. Now that hail ruined it, I'm considering the X4s instead when replacing

Users who are viewing this thread