5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative Truck Bed Lighting

SeanO

Reaction score
Alternative Non-Wired Bed Lighting Option:

I have a hard Weather Tech cover on my truck bed and no factory bed lights.

There are few good threads already on how to hard wire in LED lights or LED strips using the white with tan tracer Cargo Light wire in cab of truck.

For those of us who want a decent light source without hard wiring anything. I recommend the “Braun Rechargeable Light Bar” from Harbour Frieght for around $30 bucks. There are many ways to mount the light from hooks and magnets on each end. There are also 2 brightness options and 2 switches on either end of bar. 4209EF16-D451-4C00-9B4D-5FEC8805A7F0.png 6345B21A-B371-4991-BBE3-DBA6A972D947.png

Also can be charged by either 115v wall plug or 12v cigarette adapter, both included in packaging.

SeanO

Reaction score
Yes. It has 2 brightness levels and both are bright enough to light up entire bed of truck. 720D32F8-4BD2-42FA-A5DC-FA257FDD7966.jpeg 88B38D20-F8C9-4E8F-A729-E3E6D93D160A.jpeg

SilverNight2020

Reaction score

SeanO

Reaction score
If i decide to hardwire lights in i will also be tapping into the 12v on the trailer 7pin hook up. But for now i like the ease of the light bar.

Ondaora20

Reaction score
I too, would like to add strip LED lighting to the cargo bed. I have the RamBoxes though, and I’m trying to put together a plan.

I was going to run the LED strip along the bottom of the silver rail that holds the tie downs, and hardwire it to the rear LED bed lights.

I’m not sure how to remove these OEM LED lamps that are at the rear of the cargo bed. Would any of you be able to help me with this? I just don’t want to force and break them, and find out afterwards there was a simple DIY.

Thanks in advance.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
not a bad idea and simple/removable

i went with the led strips here
tied into the trailer connector 12v hot wire. very simple install .
View attachment 68175 View attachment 68176 View attachment 68177 View attachment 68178
How did you wire the 2 strips together? I've had a strip and my switch sitting in the garage since I bought the truck, but I've been too lazy to install. I noticed some openings at the cab side of the bed where I might be able to snake wires to the outside, but if there's a simpler way I'd love to see it.

badpewterz

Reaction score
How did you wire the 2 strips together? I've had a strip and my switch sitting in the garage since I bought the truck, but I've been too lazy to install. I noticed some openings at the cab side of the bed where I might be able to snake wires to the outside, but if there's a simpler way I'd love to see it.
The wires run down from behind the tail lights and meet by the hitch connector. Easy peasy. My kit bit lights connect to one harness

badpewterz

Reaction score
Just instead of battery i used the trailer connector wires

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200930-184806_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200930-184806_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 61

Funeman

Reaction score
Just instead of battery i used the trailer connector wires
I love the look and want to do what you did but I'm a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. Do you have any pics or step by step instructions on how to do it? Not trying to be lazy but I have nightmares of doing something that appears simple but ends up screwing up something else in the truck.

You mention the wires go behind the taillights...do the taillights need to be removed?
Is the hitch wiring accessible or do I need to cut/remove any covering for them?
You said you connected the wires to the 12v hotwire...assuming the red is hot, where does the yellow wire go?

Sorry for all the questions...again...complete novice.

badpewterz

Reaction score
I love the look and want to do what you did but I'm a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. Do you have any pics or step by step instructions on how to do it? Not trying to be lazy but I have nightmares of doing something that appears simple but ends up screwing up something else in the truck.

You mention the wires go behind the taillights...do the taillights need to be removed?
Is the hitch wiring accessible or do I need to cut/remove any covering for them?
You said you connected the wires to the 12v hotwire...assuming the red is hot, where does the yellow wire go?

Sorry for all the questions...again...complete novice.
i do not , didnt take any pics or anything while i did it
the strips are 3m tape.
1. clean under rails with alchol wipes
2. starting at cab end stick to underside of rail. some spots are tight but a little finagling and it goes in and sticks
3. no tail lights can stay in as long as you have access to stake pockets. theres a hole at the end of the bed you can feed the wires through then let them drop down and route along hitch
4. for the wiring the hitch connector unplugs from the backside for easier access. red wire to red wire. yellow from leds to ground or i believe its white on the trailer plug.
ziptie wires up and out of the way
its pretty straight forward but stick your head under there first and make sure you can find everything before you start and feel comfortable with it. its not bad
also dryfit strips before pulling tape off.
keith

Funeman

Reaction score
i do not , didnt take any pics or anything while i did it
the strips are 3m tape.
1. clean under rails with alchol wipes
2. starting at cab end stick to underside of rail. some spots are tight but a little finagling and it goes in and sticks
3. no tail lights can stay in as long as you have access to stake pockets. theres a hole at the end of the bed you can feed the wires through then let them drop down and route along hitch
4. for the wiring the hitch connector unplugs from the backside for easier access. red wire to red wire. yellow from leds to ground or i believe its white on the trailer plug.
ziptie wires up and out of the way
its pretty straight forward but stick your head under there first and make sure you can find everything before you start and feel comfortable with it. its not bad
also dryfit strips before pulling tape off.
keith
Thank you for the speedy reply. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread