5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpine X speakers

Viper67

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped out the stock alpine speakers with the new Alpine X speakers and Sub? They sound really good in the alpine truck. And they didn’t even have a center speaker yet the singer sounded like it was right in the center of the dash. Amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Viper67

Reaction score
Well it’s going to be involved. I like to buy audio electronics thru crutchfield as they make it easier for do it yourselvers.

I’ll give you bit more info on the installation issues. On the dash you have 3.5” size speakers. These are not what you would normally consider a 3.5” speaker on the aftermarket side, they essentially function as tweeters - they are EQ up to push higher range frequencies but don’t quite hit the high ranges that a true tweeter does nor have quite the detail (in my opinion, these types of OEM systems are a bit flat). In the doors we have 6x9 woofers, but Dodge uses a small cutout in the door steel and most aftermarket 6x9s need a larger opening than what is there. We also have mounting depth and mounting height issues to contend with.

I am looking at the Type X 6x9 component speakers for the front like http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500XS69C/item.html . Im planning to mount the tweeter into the dash 3.5” location, i will need to make a bit of a bracket for them to fit. The best way to do this is using a backstrap like this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120BKSTRAP/item.html. You can see in the pictures on the product page how they have mounted the tweeter to the strap and then bent that to fit down into the existing dash location.

For the front door woofer, the cutout we have to work with in there is 8.35” x 5.87” with a mounting depth of 2.92” and a mounting height of 0.68”. The Type X 6x9 woofer needs a cutout of 8.77” x 5.88, a depth of 3.1” and have a mounting height of 0.41”. As you can see, we have two primary issues with putting the Type X 6x9 woofer in the door. The existing cutout is a bit small and we are about 0.2” short on having enough depth. We do have just enough clearance on the mounting height for you to make a 0.25” spacer to lift the speaker up so that we have depth we need. This should also take care of the cutout problem. To make the spacer, I will use 0.25” MDF board. There is no pre-made adapter that I have seen to do this.

Im also looking at putting the 6x9 components in the rear door, and the cutout is still an issue, but we have a bit more depth and height clearance. To avoid having to cut into the door steel to make that cutout larger to fit the speaker, making another spacer should solve that problem here as well. Then I will need to make a spot to mount the new tweeter since there is no existing location.

Oh yes, for the amp, that’s easy. I like the Alpine X-A90V. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500XA90V/Alpine-X-A90V.html?tp=35808 it will go in place of the OEM.

So it’s very involved to say the least.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. Why don’t you share your knowledge instead of throwing rocks?
For starters, There is no door steel where the speakers mount. The intermediate panel that holds the speaker on all 4 doors is injection molded plastic that already protrudes about 2" from the inner door steel, there is very little that can be trimmed without destroying the integrity of the plastic panel. The factory amp can't just be pulled out and another amp put in its place. The factory amp has the ANC and ATMM functions that run through it. Both systems will have to be abandoned if the factory amp is removed. The volume and the EQ controls from the factory head unit will no longer function since they don't control the sound curve or volume at the source, They actually control the EQ curve and volume at the amp itself so you will need something along the lines of a DSR 1 between the head unit and the aftermarket amp to get a clean signal out of the head unit, volume control and maintain all of the other functions like door chimes etc. All EQ processing will have to be done by this module as well or by a stand alone DSP.

Last edited:

Hackmunch

Reaction score
exactly. use the search function. this has been gone over a million times here. the volume is controlled by the can-bus. with out a dsr1 (or pac)nothing is plug and play

ddharris

Reaction score
Probably would not need speaker swaps if they actually used Alpine speakers in the "Alpine" stereo system.

Users who are viewing this thread