5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpine vs non Alpine... Components, Sound, Upgrades???

mophead

Reaction score
Like to hear from those that have and do not have the Alpine 9 Speaker. Deciding whether I want to plunk down the $695 or not. I was not happy with my 2012 2500 CC w/ Alpine even after upgrading the speakers. Was kinda pissed that Alpine would put their name on it. So I'm leery of paying for something that isn't gonna work out ... again. What I'd like to know is what exactly each system has components wise and location. While on components are the speakers in the 6 speaker system the same as the Alpine (I'd bet they are, but don't actually know)? What is the volume, sound quality between the two? Is it easier/cheaper to upgrade the 6 speaker systems amp wise? Can I just hook the amp up directly from the speaker outs or a line out or do I have to buy a processor? Does your 9 speaker Alpine sub rattle and squeak in the enclosure (I've heard that complaint a few times)? Does having the Alpine affect which head unit you get from FCA when selecting the 8.4 with NAV or are they the same? Heck would I be better off taking the $695 to upgrade the 6 speaker? One last thing do I lose the noise cancellation mics with the 6 speaker? Thanks in advance

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think my Alpine system sounds really good. It has nice deep base. I did upgrade the front speakers, but that's about all.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like to hear from those that have and do not have the Alpine 9 Speaker. Deciding whether I want to plunk down the $695 or not. I was not happy with my 2012 2500 CC w/ Alpine even after upgrading the speakers. Was kinda pissed that Alpine would put their name on it. So I'm leery of paying for something that isn't gonna work out ... again. What I'd like to know is what exactly each system has components wise and location. While on components are the speakers in the 6 speaker system the same as the Alpine (I'd bet they are, but don't actually know)? What is the volume, sound quality between the two? Is it easier/cheaper to upgrade the 6 speaker systems amp wise? Can I just hook the amp up directly from the speaker outs or a line out or do I have to buy a processor? Does your 9 speaker Alpine sub rattle and squeak in the enclosure (I've heard that complaint a few times)? Does having the Alpine affect which head unit you get from FCA when selecting the 8.4 with NAV or are they the same? Heck would I be better off taking the $695 to upgrade the 6 speaker? One last thing do I lose the noise cancellation mics with the 6 speaker? Thanks in advance
I’ve never heard the Alpine system so I can’t comment.

I have the 6 speaker base stereo and it does have ANC.. the sound quality is not good.. The rear speakers are especially pathetic.

I have a 2005 Buick beater car and the stereo sounds way better than my RAM.

eproulx38

Reaction score
Agree, the base system is the worst stero setup I have ever had! Not exaggerating

All_Black_Lone_Star

Reaction score
I will not disagree with them the base system is terrible but if your into car audio and are planning to upgrade it anyways. It’s the easiest one the alpine and hk are more complicated and expensive to upgrade. Also most people that upgrade the alpine and hk system resort to only running the base 6 speakers the rest are just fill sound which don’t really matter unless your a sq guy.

mophead

Reaction score
I will not disagree with them the base system is terrible but if your into car audio and are planning to upgrade it anyways. It’s the easiest one the alpine and hk are more complicated and expensive to upgrade. Also most people that upgrade the alpine and hk system resort to only running the base 6 speakers the rest are just fill sound which don’t really matter unless your a sq guy.
I'm thinking swap the speakers out and add an amp and call it a day. Not worried about a sub. Might be a bit more than the $695 but should be able to have very good quality with way less hassle and $$$$

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think my Alpine system sounds really good. It has nice deep base. I did upgrade the front speakers, but that's about all.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I will probably go this route. Overall very happy with the Alpine system, but the highs could be more crisp. Upgrading the front dash speakers should help a lot.

805myth1

Reaction score
I didn't choose for my truck to come with the alpine system, it's just want came in the truck already. I think it is a decent factory system, but for me it was not enough. Plus it's just my preference to always customize the audio to my liking and loudness. If I were to have chosen I would have just gotten the 8.4 non nav with the 6 speaker setup and upgraded that. Also for me, I do not notice any difference without the ANC as compared to with it enabled.

nburd

Reaction score
I like my Alpine system, it sounds best with digital music. The base is over driven in XM mode but the MP3s (high bit rate) sound great (it’s an XM thing, low bit rate) . Radio sounds good too. My son has the base system and the Apline sounds much better.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
I have the alpine. I have found that when I stream music (Amazon music) I dabble with the equalizer in the app settings. They are left flat across all hertz. So I set the higher hertz (vocals and high sound) end a little hgher. And lower bass where it sound good at high volumes. The factory radio setting is highs up all they at and lower base set notch or 2 below all the way up. The highest I need to play the system is 20 or 22 And that’s jamming loud with the windows down. Alpine system definitely a base loud system. Which I do like.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i like my alpines but honestly only thing i plan on doing is maybe add a 8 or 10 inch sub and maybe a two tweeters in the rear some some songs not enough base and then some songs it has decent sound but not loud enough over all

im no expert in sound but it doesnt need much more base hence why i think a 8 would add just enough bass to what it has and two tweeters in the rear. facingthe front

Users who are viewing this thread