5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpine, and harmon. 8.4, and 12"

skatz5000

Reaction score
I’ve had satellite on 5 vehicles before this one, years ranging from 08-16 and haven’t had a sound level discrepancy like this before

Flot

Reaction score
Unfortunately agreed on the Harmon system volume. I’m
happy with sound quality overall but was literally driving the truck home from the dealer and was “comfortably” listening to xm radio with the volume knob at 100%.

I did not try other audio sources.

I did disable surround sound, it was even quieter with surround enabled.

I have a 2011 with the alpine system and I don’t think I’ve ever turned it to max volume, certainly it reaches levels that are uncomfortable inside with the windows up.

This IS unusual, I can’t remember owning any other vehicles where I would find myself turning the volume all the way to max.

Edit: I tried the USB input from my iphone, and max volume was considerably louder than XM.

Last edited:

Ram19Va

Reaction score
For the '19 Rebel I see there is an optional 9-speaker sound system with subwoofer. Is that Harmon Kardon, or Alpine? Strangely the "details" does not list the manufacturer.
I would keep the factory radio and just use a splitter type module for RCA's and a pair of subs. In my experience through car audio over the years in some vehicles replacing the factory radio can lead to more troubles than its worth.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the '19 Rebel I see there is an optional 9-speaker sound system with subwoofer. Is that Harmon Kardon, or Alpine? Strangely the "details" does not list the manufacturer.
I would keep the factory radio and just use a splitter type module for RCA's and a pair of subs. In my experience through car audio over the years in some vehicles replacing the factory radio can lead to more troubles than its worth.

I believe it's an Alpine...the on Harman system I know of is the 19 speaker.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the Alpine system. After hearing all this about the HK system - I'm glad I wasn't a fan of the 12" display and opted against it!

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would doubt you would find much different in the systems other than fancy speaker covers. If its not a super easy/cheap upgrade for your particular deal, dont waste your money.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alpine did sound good when I was test driving. Ended up with HK.
Not picking favorites, but let’s get one thing clear about audio. Loud does not always mean good. Clarity is much more the result of a ‘good’ system. Loudness comes after that.
The ability to shake your mirrors and rattle your license plate doesn’t necessarily mean you have a ‘good’ system.
When you are listening and suddenly hear instruments you’ve never heard in a familiar song, and you can actually differentiate between all the instruments individually, that’s when you know you’re listening to a ‘good’ system.

MartinXx

Reaction score
Alpine did sound good when I was test driving. Ended up with HK.
Not picking favorites, but let’s get one thing clear about audio. Loud does not always mean good. Clarity is much more the result of a ‘good’ system. Loudness comes after that.
The ability to shake your mirrors and rattle your license plate doesn’t necessarily mean you have a ‘good’ system.
When you are listening and suddenly hear instruments you’ve never heard in a familiar song, and you can actually differentiate between all the instruments individually, that’s when you know you’re listening to a ‘good’ system.
Well said!!

Users who are viewing this thread