5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alpharex Luxx

Tbreaux

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got my 2020 big horn and want replace the factory headlight housing. I had Alpharex Pros on my F-150 and loved them but have heat not so great things about the pros on 5th gen rams. Does anyone have any experience with the Alpharex Luxx? Also, are they plug and play outside of tapping the Drl’s to the fuse box? Any advice or feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• 89FED954-086D-43BF-A922-DCCD25479405.jpeg
    89FED954-086D-43BF-A922-DCCD25479405.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 24

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are not plug and play.

When I ordered the AlphaRex PRO-Series Headlights, I noticed that they did not have any installation instructions posted on there website. So I contacted the Tech Support at AlphaRex. They told me to use the F66 fuse. Which is valid for the 4thGenRams but not the 5thGenRams. After he told me that he did not know which fuse to tap, he said that I could wire it to any 10 Amp - 20 Amp fuse that would come on with the starter.

When I saw that the fuse that was on the pigtail for the DRL's was a 15 AMP fuse I went with a 15-20 Amp fuse. I tested the fuse box with my Multi-Meter to figure out which one I could use that would only turn on when the truck was running. Most of the fuses had power all of the time. The only one that I could find was a F60 Fuse : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

Rhombus

Reaction score
I’ve been running these for 2 years with LED bills for two years. Install take a while, but basically plug and play.

Tbreaux

Reaction score
I appreciate your response, I noticed you were referring to the Alpharex Pros, I was looking into the Alpharex Luxx. I know they are sealed and require no extra bulbs, do you know if all of what you said is the same case with the Luxx?

Tbreaux

Reaction score
I’ve been running these for 2 years with LED bills for two years. Install take a while, but basically plug and play.
So you have the Luxx, not the Pros? Did you also tap the DRL’s to F60?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Getting ready to install Novas in my truck today, so have been looking everywhere to confirm which fuse i should tap. The AlphaRex website still says F66, but their video says F38, which is the DTCM/Active Cooling Temp Valve.
I dont know that the F38 would be any better/worse/different(other than that it’s a 10) than the F60, both are critical.

7A51C39D-55D4-4E9F-834A-489829D1F0EF.jpeg

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Getting ready to install Novas in my truck today, so have been looking everywhere to confirm which fuse i should tap. The AlphaRex website still says F66, but their video says F38, which is the DTCM/Active Cooling Temp Valve.
I dont know that the F38 would be any better/worse/different(other than that it’s a 10) than the F60, both are critical.

View attachment 137862
If you go with F66 you will have to punch through the firewall.

The F38 is a 10 Amp fuse so you will have dim LED's on your DRL.

The F60 is a 20 Amp fuse, the inline fuse that comes wit the AlphaRex will step it down to 15 AMP.

I have been running this setup for years with no issues. 😎

Last edited:

Brunzca

Reaction score
If you go with F66 you will have to punch through the firewall.

The F38 is a 10 Amp fuse so you will have dim LED's on your DRL.

The F66 is a 20 Amp fuse, the inline fuse that comes wit the AlphaRex will step it down to 15 AMP.

I have been running this setup for years with no issues. 😎
Right.. sorry, wasn’t clear. I meant F38 or F60, definitely not F66! (But didn’t consider the dim possibility) Regardless, went with F60 based on your prior advice/writeup, thanks! Works great, only hang up is that I think I overadjusted, and have them set too low. Only available area to test was my driveway/garage, which is on an incline, so had to guesstimate. With a lift, they were wayyyy up there, and felt like I was cranking down forever to Get close to the level of the lights, and wasnt sure how much to compensate for the incline. Anyway.. will see tomorrow morining, and tweak if necessary. Thanks again for the detailed info

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The drl's are on all the time when the truck is running and can't be turned off? What happens if you don't bother with the drl fuse tap and use the parking lights?

Clv22p

Reaction score
If you don’t do the fuse tap the only time the accent light comes on is when you turn your headlights on.

Users who are viewing this thread