5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alphaobd research

2500ram18

Reaction score
I'm trying to help develop a security bypass cable for the 5th gen. I don't have access to a 5th gen to try and find the CAN C and CAN IHS location. On 4th gens it's right in front of the bcm, pic attached of CAN. (bcm is going to be on the right side of the steering shaft on the fire wall under the dash, you can see by looking up under the dash). It may have been moved in the 5th gens but hopefully will be close to where it is in the 4th gens. Any pics or confirmation of location would be greatly appreciated. Need to confirm that the connectors are the same.

Attachments

• AC5F26D7-4B92-4201-AEB6-6DF9EFA4BD51.png
    AC5F26D7-4B92-4201-AEB6-6DF9EFA4BD51.png
    541.4 KB · Views: 136

2500ram18

Reaction score
In 2018 ram installed a security module preventing people from hacking the truck's through the 4g feature in the radio. Thus preventing access to make any changes through the obd2 port. For any automotive scan tools that have the ability to make changes or reset modules in our trucks you have to bypass this security module. A member on another forum developed a bypass harness for the 2018 trucks allowing any obd2 scan tool such as alphaobd to gain access and make changes, popular changes lowering tpms thresholds, enabling drl's basically allowing us to add features that typically the dealer only could. He is trying to find the location and verify the connectors used. So I am trying to help him out and see if anyone is willing to see if they could find it. It should be under the dash on the driver side but could be anywhere under the dash if FCA felt like being difficult

downsjh

Reaction score
On the 2019, the SWG is right near the obd port, takes 2 seconds to install bypass module. Nothing like the 2018 instructions that required removing the radio to access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoamen

Reaction score
That looks like the same terminal I connected my hypertech speed calabration device. It is under left side driver dash. Right behind the release handle for the electronic transmission release/or electronic Park brake release. I forget exactly the release exact purpose. Anyhow hard to reach because of dash frame support and cable of release device

JasonLMarsh

Reaction score
That looks like the same terminal I connected my hypertech speed calabration device. It is under left side driver dash. Right behind the release handle for the electronic transmission release/or electronic Park brake release. I forget exactly the release exact purpose. Anyhow hard to reach because of dash frame support and cable of release device
Thats it. It's the same I connected my speedometer programmer and electric steps to. It's much easier to get to if you pop off the side panel of the dash. Then reach in and lift straight up on the whole block and it slips off the bracket and you can lower it down enough to get both hands on it.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
driver side, the dash side cover, you can reach in and pop out the green and white star connectors, I spliced any two, and that gives you can-c and can-ihs. you can't access the radio via this however, radio is on its own can directly off the sgw.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 11.35.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 11.35.30 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 144

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
Where to start? in your pic, you have one pair to the star connection. What is the other pair connected to?
Can you measure signal gnd to chassis gnd?
Why do you need to connect to the radio, I thought the body computer is where most things live.
So many questions...
Thanks!

GKBennett

Reaction score
driver side, the dash side cover, you can reach in and pop out the green and white star connectors, I spliced any two, and that gives you can-c and can-ihs. you can't access the radio via this however, radio is on its own can directly off the sgw.
Would you happen to have the part numbers for the 2-wire Star connectors and the pins? Are the pins the same as for the OBDII? I want to build my own bypass cable. Thanks!

Rons5thgen

Reaction score
Would you happen to have the part numbers for the 2-wire Star connectors and the pins? Are the pins the same as for the OBDII? I want to build my own bypass cable. Thanks!

l think you meant to send this to mike ct, l took the back off the star connector cover and soldered directly to the pins, couldn't find the connectors for it.

GKBennett

Reaction score
Through much research on many forums and part number chasing I found the Star connector mini plugs and pins on Mouser.com. I also purchased an OBD2 female connector and pins from Amazon.com in case I wanted to roll my own bypass cable.
Star Connector mini plug and Pins.JPG Mini Plug.JPG Mini Plug Pins.JPG OBD2 Female Connector and Pins.JPG appcar-sgw-bypass-cable.png

Rons5thgen

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread