5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD

downsjh

Reaction score
Step 11: Software Update using AlfaOBD
Follow all steps to sync your phone/tablet/computer to the Bluetooth/wifi device that you are using (your OBD2 reader, and again I recommend that BAFX one because it worked for me)
View attachment 31430

Locate the FCA Security gateway plugs, disconnect them, and plug them into your bypass module. They are driver side to the left of the steering wheel under the dash.
View attachment 31431
View attachment 31433

Now, turn your truck on (remember that you disconnected the battery earlier, and one of the "put it back together implied steps" was to reconnect it)
Open your AlfaOBD app
Select the type of interface you are using and find your device.
Connect to your (OBD Reader) device
Select RAM from the OEM options
Select Ram 1500 from the 1st dropdown
Select Body Computer from the 2nd dropdown
Select Central Gateway Module from the 3rd dropdown
Select connect
Once connected click on the little car with the hood up and navigate all the way to the bottom of this menu
Select "Car Configuration Change"
In the next menu you will need to make the following changes one at a time. Be sure to validate that the change was made by selecting each option and seeing what it is set at according to AlfaOBD after you set the option. The options you need to change and the values for them are as follows:
ITBM/HWM Integrated Trailer Brake Module: Change to "ENABLED"
Trailer selected CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer name CSM: Change to "Yes"
Trailer type CSM: Change to "Yes"

/*The information about the settings and the idea that I could do the software update on my own are courtesy of member downsjh*/

My dash display updated immediately and I was able to see the trailer information. Some people have stated that theirs took a few minutes. Your mileage may vary. Turn your truck off, remove your OBD2 reader, and I recommend removing the gateway module bypass.

Now you should have a fully functioning trailer brake controller and 0 trips to the dealership!

View attachment 31435
View attachment 31437

Thank you for your time. I hope that this helps someone save a few pennies like it did for me. If you have anything you would like to add, or steps that I missed (it is possible, I am part gorilla) please feel free to let me know. I am not a mechanic by trade, just by hobby, so go easy on me please :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoiledone

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Alfa OBD will allow Canadian trucks to use only the accent LED lights in the headlights as daytime running lights like the American trucks can do in the settings menu?

Rynofire

Reaction score
What’s all this talk about these 2 bypass modules behind the dash. I thought all we had to do was plug the OBDLink into the main port under the steering wheel/dash and then connect to AlphaOBD. Am I missing something?

downsjh

Reaction score
There is a Security GateWay(SGW), that blocks the OBD port from writing changes to the truck, only allows reads.

However you can remove the SGW easily, and replace with the bypass module. Then program via Alphaobd. Then swap back in the SGW.

rcdash

Reaction score
Does anyone know the possibility (and if yes, procedure) of using AlphaOBD to enable the Mopar bed lights? Thanks for the posts on enabling the trailer brake controller!

deanfx

Reaction score
I wonder if AlfaOBD would enable the security alarm on a Bighorn? Do you guys have any info you could share?

downsjh

Reaction score
Trailer brake controller and factory intrusion alarm due not require a PIN since the enable is on the BCM. RF hub changes require PIN plus some other unknown changes, like passive entry.

rcdash

Reaction score
@RC... to enable bed lights with Alfa...
2014 CBC I/O & Feature: Truck Bed Lighting Feature
Select “yes”
Thank you! Interesting that I should use 2014 and not another year? Will give it a try...

Raydar

Reaction score
Success! Added my trailer brake controller. The hardest part was finding the "ITBM" line in the dropdown. Making the changes was quite simple. I also got the security system to operate, but it was not exactly right, so I backed it out. Will revisit it when I have a bit more time.
Thanks all!

moabbikr

Reaction score
I have the 2019 Rebel and have tried Global down and fogs for DRL, I can verify changes have been made but neither work. Anyone else have any success with these on a 2019? BTW, I used the direction listed on the google doc above.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 2019 Rebel and have tried Global down and fogs for DRL, I can verify changes have been made but neither work. Anyone else have any success with these on a 2019? BTW, I used the direction listed on the google doc above.
I was unable to get global down to work.
I did disable fog light dropout w/ high beams.

I think the the feature is missing internally from the door modules, so even if it enables it doesn't work.

moabbikr

Reaction score
I appreciate the validation with Global Down. I will continue to see if I can get the Fog Lights to work as DRL's. Otherwise the only other thing I tried was changing the EVIC splash screen "VehConfig 1 -Special Package," the default for the Rebel is Off Road Truck, I changed my to Limited and it did change the EVIC, not something I wanted to be permanent so I changed it back, I just wanted to verify something worked. Others may find it useful.

deanfx

Reaction score
I appreciate the validation with Global Down. I will continue to see if I can get the Fog Lights to work as DRL's. Otherwise the only other thing I tried was changing the EVIC splash screen "VehConfig 1 -Special Package," the default for the Rebel is Off Road Truck, I changed my to Limited and it did change the EVIC, not something I wanted to be permanent so I changed it back, I just wanted to verify something worked. Others may find it useful.
That's kinda cool. I swear when I used Rough Country programmer to change my tire size to fix the speedo that it changed my splash screen to a generic "1500". Where it used to say the trim package of my Ram.

Raydar

Reaction score
One of the vids on YouTube had an earlier truck's radio splash screen changed to "SRT".
I see that it's apparently available in the programmer. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/