5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All The Holes In A 6' Bed

Kenny4

Reaction score
Is there a diagram available that shows what all the empty holes are intended for? The larger holes in the corners I utilized by putting in Marine stainless steel eye bolts, ( work well and look nice/clean). In the side walls there are some 3/8" hexagon shaped holes, but the metal is very thin there. What is supposed to snap into those holes? Are there snap ins available. I use a cargo net and I want to utilize those holes to add smaller eye bolts for the sides of the netting to clamp onto. Any suggestions? Thanks

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is there a diagram available that shows what all the empty holes are intended for? The larger holes in the corners I utilized by putting in Marine stainless steel eye bolts, ( work well and look nice/clean). In the side walls there are some 3/8" hexagon shaped holes, but the metal is very thin there. What is supposed to snap into those holes? Are there snap ins available. I use a cargo net and I want to utilize those holes to add smaller eye bolts for the sides of the netting to clamp onto. Any suggestions? Thanks
Those 3/8" holes are for the bed rails you can get as an option with the bed utility group or a separate purchase. You can put rivet nuts in there and the screw stuff to them.

Kenny4

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I've never used rivet nuts before. That does seem like the best option. My holes are stamped as hex 3/8" in diameter which is 9,525mm. I can't find either of those sizes in the hex. If you or anyone reading has found the correct ones, please post up. Thanks

vincentw56

Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I've never used rivet nuts before. That does seem like the best option. My holes are stamped as hex 3/8" in diameter which is 9,525mm. I can't find either of those sizes in the hex. If you or anyone reading has found the correct ones, please post up. Thanks
These are the ones I bought from a recommendation in another thread. I haven't installed them yet, so I can guarantee anything.

uxcell M6 304 Stainless Steel Hex Flat Head Rivet Nut Insert Nutsert 20pcs https://a.co/d/iEqjfhs

Kenny4

Reaction score
Thanks for the link---It doesn't show a price or the dimensions. Just put one in any of the stamped holes that your not going to use for practice. Does the hex fit snuggly just inserting by hand? What was the price? Thanks

Kenny4

Reaction score
TTT---Just waiting for someone to post up with link to the right ones that they installed and are pleased with.

vincentw56

Reaction score
TTT---Just waiting for someone to post up with link to the right ones that they installed and are pleased with.
I posted the link to the ones that people said they used and worked. Not sure what else you want.

Last edited:

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
No, like I said above, I haven't installed them yet. But others have.

Are these just to install the bed rail system? I believe I already have it. For some reason I can't find a pic anywhere of how people are modding.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Are these just to install the bed rail system? I believe I already have it. For some reason I can't find a pic anywhere of how people are modding.
Yes and no. You can use it to install the bed rail system, but it also adds mounting points for custom solutions. Several people have made custom mounts.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Yes and no. You can use it to install the bed rail system, but it also adds mounting points for custom solutions. Several people have made custom mounts.

I see it now. I had to actually pull up the installation instructions from Mopar for the rail system and the cargo divider to have it make sense. The cargo divider option for those with the bed rails looks awesome. But good lord, $300?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I see it now. I had to actually pull up the installation instructions from Mopar for the rail system and the cargo divider to have it make sense. The cargo divider option for those with the bed rails looks awesome. But good lord, $300?
And that's why others have done custom setups.

Kenny4

Reaction score
I posted the link to the ones that people said they used and worked. Not sure what else you want.
The reason I've been so picky, is that I've been on the phone with a couple of manufacturers and they recommended 5/16 vs m6 as a better fit and also claimed the stainless steel are much harder to crimp. Could you just take one out of your package and slip it in one of the hex holes and see if it fits snuggly---That's all I'm concerned with. Thanks

Kenny4

Reaction score
Finally got around to doing this. I bought a package of 20 M6 Hex Stainless Steel Rivet Nuts and some SS eye bolts with them. $6.50 for 20 of them. I tried the DIY bolt with washers and broke the bolt off. Then the next one couldn't tighten enough. Stopped and ordered a $32 tool online. The hex nuts fit perfectly and the tool put them in very easily. I bought the nuts from Harfington a Chinese provider and zero problems. So now I SS threaded M6 nuts in all the Hex holes on both sides for whatever I want to screw into them. Here's a link.

Users who are viewing this thread