5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

alignment issues

armymp1130

Reaction score
Hello all So my 2020 ram 1500 bighorn has a roughcountry 2” leveling strut that i just installed, which i previously had the motofab 2” spacer before. I just had an alignment by the dealer couple days ago and now my steering is off center just a little to the left to go straight but whats happening is when i take a sharp turn to the right the wheel will stick to the right and pull hard to the right and when i return it back to center and let go of wheel the steering wheel turns right on its own. Im not sure what it could be or what happened

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Get it aligned first and see if the problem persist after that. You may simple need an alignment job.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take it back to the dealer and show them what's wrong. Have the re-do the alignment.

If that doesn't fix the issue leave it with them to fix as the basic warranty covers up to 2" of lift over stock.

kraz

Reaction score
my 2020 ram v6 does the same exact thing. 5 visits to the dealer and new rack, same issue. They told me there is nothing else they can do. I even have a fca case#, the area rep drove it and said nothing is wrong with my truck. I reported this issue with 966 miles. I now have 10k miles and same issue. Ram has been terrible for me. I will trade this in while the resale value is up and go with Ford.
edit; My truck is factory, no lift or anything.

kraz

Reaction score
Two dealers and 2 alignment shops and still have an off center steering wheel.
I'm not sure what else to do at this point. I'm just going to trade the truck in for a FORD.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dealer sometimes sucks on alignments, try an actual alignment shop, preferably one that actually knows how to align trucks with modified suspension, they make a World of difference.

Also, most of the time, it takes a couple of test drives by the aligner to get the steering wheel exactly straight, most dealers don't bother, they just set it and think it's done and hope you don't come back.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have to set the toe and center the wheel at the same time. Moving the tie rods to put the toe in-spec and center the wheel is extra work.

My last truck was a solid front axle with a crossover system (drag link to knuckle). You adjusted one link to set the toe and the other link to straighten the wheel and the shops couldn't even do that so I can only imagine how lazy a dealership would be with a rack-and-pinion setup to adjust.

I agree with SD Rebel, you should bite the bullet and take it to a shop that does alignments for a living. You'd get better results.

I've had my RAM aligned at Firestone and they did a great job. It was already in-spec but they adjusted it to drive better and they centered the wheel. I don't know exactly what they did (they explained it to me and I forgot by the time I drove out the parking lot) but it does drive better.

Users who are viewing this thread