5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alignment after Level

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally completed the Bilstein 5100 level, with new SuspensionMaxx end links and Mopar UCAs. The truck rode great and tracked straight which surprised me after the level. I took other's advice and got an alignment done. Most of the settings were in spec, but now the truck gradually pulls to the left and I almost crapped myself when I pulled out of the parking lot and this loud rumbling noise was heard. Turns out the caster on the driver's side is allowing the tires to hit my mud flap.

I'm taking the truck back tomorrow for them to check this, but I'm not liking how it feels compared to how it felt before, or even immediately after the level.

Below are the specs that they moved me from and to. They probably could have left everything alone and made no changes.

20240510_142849.jpg

Lastly, I noticed grease coming out of the driver's side CV boot. The dealer replaced the axle shaft before doing the alignment. If the axle shaft was covered under warranty, is an alignment part of the replacement process? I was charged for the alignment and I was thinking that a tear down of the front end to replace the axle should come with an alignment. Yes or no?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update, I was at the dealership all day Saturday as I had an appointment to get the alignment redone. Well, it didn't go well. They attempted to give me more positive caster on the driver side. It was now out of spec, but I no longer had the tire hitting the liner. But, the truck continued to pull to one side.

They put the truck back on the Hunter alignment machine and attempted it again. And again. And again. I think they attempted 9 alignment adjustments. I left the dealership at 4:30pm, leaving my truck behind for them to research more of this on Monday.

I had no issues with rubbing when I was at stock height, with the 1.5" wheel spacers and stock tires. I had no issues after the level. But, I seem to have a gap distance now where the driver's side tire is about 1/2" further back than the passenger tire. The only changes from before the level, is the level, and a new driver's side front axle.

I have no idea.

mplaramie

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your alignment issues. When I did my 23 Ram, the first alignment was ok and the same specs as yours were used. Then, I got another alignment using the Ram Mopar 2" lift specs and it was perfect. Maybe try to use the Mopar 2" lift spec.....

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have those specs? The Hunter alignment machine took my VIN and gave the tech only 4 options. They were all based on a 2021 Ram 1500 4x4, but the 4 options were two for air suspension and two for steel suspension. They both were normal height or lifted. The lifted option had specified Rebel or ORG, but it did not provide details for Mopar 2" lifted. We were trying to locate something like that, but no options were available.

Since the driver side tire was rubbing in the rear, they did try increasing the caster on that side to 5.2*, but then the truck was drifting right. They either get it so the truck doesn't drift, but the tire hits when turning left, or they clear that and it drifts one way or the other.

Last edited:

mplaramie

Reaction score
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240512_161324_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    Screenshot_20240512_161324_Microsoft 365 (Office).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 34

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What size tires are you running and do you have aftermarket mud flaps? I had to remove my Husky front mud flaps after lifting and installing 285/65r20.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm running stock tires on the Rebel, so 275/70-18. I do have 1.5" spacers all around, but I haven't had any issue with my Husky mudflaps until after the alignment. Even after the level was installed, I had no issues. Replacement of the axle and an alignment done, then I had issues.

Was something off with my original alignment, so I didn't have issues before, but now the level, the spacers and an alignment mean the rear of the tire clearance is that close that I will need to remove the mudflaps? I can do that if that is what others experienced.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing if having the alignment done to the Mopar 2" level specs fixes anything. I too have the Bils 5100s set at 2.1". I feel like after my alignment, the truck actually pulled more.

I'm also battling the famous clunk sound coming from the front. I have the new bushings others recommend putting on the sway bar I'll be installing this afternoon.

Keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread