5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD vs Tazer DT

MGRAM57

Reaction score
Hello, new here, just purchased my 2020 RAM Laramie last week. I’ve been looking around here and have seen some posts using AlfaOBD as well as Taxer DT. It seems you can accomplish similar things with both. I have used a tuner on a Ford Mustang before so not a totally foreign concept to me but looking for feedback on what you guys would recommend?

Here are the few things I know I’d like to do right off:
- Enable Navigation Keyboard in motion
- Auto fold mirrors

Might want to do:
-Control front window with key
-Add / enable Cargo Cam
- Set Daytime Running Lights

Any ”must do” things I am missing? Also it looks like Alfa requires a PC or Android to program. Im an iPhone user but to have a laptop. Seems like Tazer works via the EVIC? Kind of leaning towards Tazer but I’ve seen some posts here suggesting Alfa is better, guess its just info overload for me right now.

Fishwiz

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear from experts, but I think alfaobd just focuses on turning factory options on/off. Tazer is focused on "hacking" to create options that don't exist from the factory (like keyboard always available).

I may be wrong though....

I'd like to learn more about alfaobd's capabilities too. I have it for adding passive entry but I'd like to use it for more depending on what it can do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2020Big4x4Horn

Reaction score
Alpha will not do auto fold mirrors. Tazer will only do it if you leave it plugged in all the time.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty accurate as Fishwiz mentioned; it sounds like Tazer is the way to go for what you're looking for.

AlphaOBD turns on/off OEM options, and Tazer does some of that, but things like window control etc are a Tazer thing. (note: that doesn't work with android auto or carplay, just the OEM keyboard if you have a Nav headunit)

MGRAM57

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the quick input. Looks like I will go the Tazer route. I emailed them to see if I can still get in on the forum discount buy.

Looks like some of what I want requires it to be plugged in all the time. Any disadvantage to keeping in plugged in? Any issue with the truck warranty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dpdsurf

Reaction score
No issues leaving it plugged in. You'll see in the directions they tell you to unmarry and remove prior to dealer service.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

joshj84

Reaction score
So for people with the Tazer DT. I just got it, updated firmware, and now i can manuever through the menus but left arrow + resume doesn't select anything :/ any tips guys?

MGRAM57

Reaction score
So for people with the Tazer DT. I just got it, updated firmware, and now i can manuever through the menus but left arrow + resume doesn't select anything :/ any tips guys?

I ended up getting it and love it but the menu nav is a little tricky. If you can get to the setting you want to change try Left Arrow + Cruise On/Off (center button) to select that setting. I think Resume exits the menu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread