5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AlfaOBD: getting started, newb hardware question

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gents,

Looking at all the threads on AlfaOBD (even the big, stickied, one), I am confused as to what to buy to get this to work. (I'm running two other OBD scan/setting tools, but not AlfaOBD. My confusion centers on the hardware to get AlfaOBD to link to the BCM.)

As I understand it, I need to:

Buy and download AlfaOBD. That's easy.

The AlfaOBD instructions send you to this website: https://www.zautomotive.com/?s=&ymm_search=1&post_type=product&_make=Ram&_model=1500&_year=2021

It shows these items:

Zauto site.JPG

^^^
The assumption is that I need a Security Gateway Module to bypass the one-way comms built into the truck's OBD. That would be the $69 SGW module.

The next assumption is that I need the $29 Extension Cable to allow me to plug that SGW module into the truck's OBD wiring.

So...that's $100.

My question: if I buy the 2 items, will my truck's normal OBD port work? Meaning, does that SGW module just unlock the EXISTING OBD port?

Next question: Amazon has a bypass cable for ~$23. Here: https://www.amazon.com/Bosting-Adaptor-Chrysler-Programming-Connector/dp/B07S91VZXT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=PWO801WVQS19&dchild=1&keywords=chrysler+12+8+cable&qid=1635258116&sprefix=chrysler+12,aps,144&sr=8-5

Image:
zamazoncable.JPG

Does this cable perform BOTH functions of the zautomotive extension AND SGW module?

Next, to have a wireless OBD experience, I should also pick up a bluetooth OBD dongle, like the OBDLink MX+, here: https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/?ref=alfaobd

Image:
zobdlinkmx.JPG

TL: DR;

If the above MX+ link is NEEDED, would I just plug into the truck's OBD port if I use the zautomotive extension and module?

If I get the $23 cable, it looks like it would bypass the truck's OBD port and that I'd have to plug the OBD MX+ link into the OBD port on the end of the red cable?

(The above is new to me: my existing software (RossTech VCDS for VW and multiecuscan for an Alfa Romeo) came with the hardware: an OBD cable with bypass built in, and a USB plug. So, I'd plug my laptop directly into the OBD port and the software would link up and work.)

I'm confused about needing two or three third-party items.

Thanks for any assist.

Ken

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you need the SGW. You only need the extension cable if you want the SGW in a more accessible place to plug/unplug as needed. The MX+ will work for Alfaobd (same one I'm going to get). Optionally, instead of the SGW, you can get the Tazer which will give you some more options, plus the SGW all in one. And yes, you'd just plug the MX+ into the OBD2 port once the SGW is installed. The cable you have linked will act as the SGW and give you a separate OBD2 port that you'd plug the MX+ into. I'd go with the SGW or Tazer and the MX+...cleaner and more options. Get the extension cable to make things easier if needed.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, you need the SGW.
So, the zautomotive Security Bypass Module is needed, even if I get the "Y" cable for $23?

You only need the extension cable if you want the SGW in a more accessible place to plug/unplug as needed.
The zautomotive instructions for the Bypass Module stop at 2018. They show that the module gets installed behind/beneath the radio in the center instrument stack. Yet, the 2021 (DT) model year shows the 12 + 8 cables near the fuse panel by the driver's left knee.

I am (obviously) confused as to where the Security Bypass Module gets plugged in, to what wire harness/plugs, how they will fit (the module is smaller than the gap between the fixed 12 + 8 ports. I don't even know if the Bypass module has an OBD plug or a 12 + 8.

I am NOT in the market for a Tazer, so that's not in play for me.

The MX+ will work for Alfaobd (same one I'm going to get). Optionally, instead of the SGW, you can get the Tazer which will give you some more options, plus the SGW all in one. And yes, you'd just plug the MX+ into the OBD2 port once the SGW is installed. The cable you have linked will act as the SGW and give you a separate OBD2 port that you'd plug the MX+ into. I'd go with the SGW or Tazer and the MX+...cleaner and more options. Get the extension cable to make things easier if needed.

What is a little confusing to me is this thread: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-alfaobd-up-and-running-i-have-no-idea.33460/

It shows member trek97 clearly using a "Y" splitter like the one I linked, above.

I'd rather spend $23 than $100. ;) (Not being able to see the items laid out, fully installed, or the ports on the back of the Bypass Module, are all what's adding to the smoke and mirrors.)

Thanks,
Ken

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just get this OBDII reader, work perfectly.
Also, you just need the Y cable and plug the reader in it.
and you're all set.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@MannyN , thanks for the concise answer.

AlfaOBD is already on my laptop, and the Y cable and bluetooth OBD reader are enroute.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An update on how to get AlfaOBD up and running and linked to my truck (2021 Laramie).

In anticipation of all this, I downloaded, installed, and licensed AlfaOBD onto my laptop. (My laptop has all my other engine diagnostic software on it).

Link: https://alfaobd.com/

The process was easy. The licensing was done via a third-party and took ~5-10 minutes from the time I installed the software. Excellent experience.

After the new wheels arrived (I wanted to adjust the truck's computers to the new, larger, diameter), I used the Amazon adapter, https://www.amazon.com/Bosting-Adaptor-Chrysler-Programming-Connector/dp/B07S91VZXT/ref=sr_1_5?crid=PWO801WVQS19&dchild=1&keywords=chrysler+12+8+cable&qid=1635258116&sprefix=chrysler+12,aps,144&sr=8-5

and plugged it in to the chassis. (AlfaOBD shows where the connectors are. There are two that need to be disconnected, located behind the driver's left knee bolster (about behind the headlight switch, on the outside wall). They have to clips that need to be depressed, then pull them out. Take those wire connectors and plug them into the Amazon "Y" adapter.

That bypasses the Security Module.

Next, I downloaded the OBDwiz software onto my laptop to go with the OBDLink MX+ (linked above).

I plugged the OBDLink MX+ into the OBD end of the "Y" adapter...and discovered that my laptop no longer has functioning Bluetooth. It's as if it never existed. (I'm computer literate: I think the module is broken. It doesn't show in Device Manager or anywhere else.)

Sigh.

So...time to use my Android phone. I downloaded the OBDLink MX+ app onto my phone. (The instructions are clear and in the box.) I also downloaded (and purchased a new license) for AlfaOBD for my Android. (<- Alexey Chernikov, the AlfaOBD guy, was VERY responsive to me and offers a 50% discount for additional licenses. Contact him BEFORE you purchase a second license.)

My Android was linked to the truck.

I used this video,
to guide me on the process. It was pretty good. My truck ABS Initialization refused to start. The buttons stayed greyed out. I did everything else, but not that.

I used the tires' specs, specifically the 611 revolutions per mile: 5,280'/mile / 611 revs/mile = feet/rev * 12"/ft * 25.4 mm/ft = 2,633.9mm per rev.

I rounded up to 2,634mm. ;)

Inputting that, following the referenced video's guidance, and everything functions perfectly. I took it out on the highway and used Waze to crosscheck the truck's speedometer: despite increasing the tire's circumference by 8%, the speedo and gps matched perfectly up to ~83mph.

Final notes: I'm going to leave the "Y" adapter attached and just tucked up. The truck's normal OBD port works normally, as do the Amp Research steps sistered into the OBD harness. So, the "Y" adapter may as well stay there.

This was simpler than I thought it would be.

Thanks for all the assist.

Brunzca

Reaction score
Just get this OBDII reader, work perfectly.
Also, you just need the Y cable and plug the reader in it.
and you're all set.
Just to confirm (and yes, I know this seems like a straight forward post) - if I’m going to be using a Windows PC, I just need to buy these two things? This OBDII reader will work just as well as the MX+?

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to confirm (and yes, I know this seems like a straight forward post) - if I’m going to be using a Windows PC, I just need to buy these two things? This OBDII reader will work just as well as the MX+?
That's correct, Y-Cable, OBDII reader and AlfaOBD.

sefar

Reaction score
I got a security bypass from Amazon for $24. Hooked up the OBD bluetooth scanner, then connected AlfaObd on my phone. Just did this last night, worked like a charm. No wiring, and had I found the security gateway before I took stuff off, no trim or dash removal.

THFD334

Reaction score
Is there a decent "how-to" guide on AlfaOBD? Last week I turned my 2019 RAM into a Jeep Grand Cherokee Wagoneer!!! Luckily @Jimmy07 saved my *** big time! I do want to add the climate controls to the 8.4 non-nav. I had them on there briefly before I screwed everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread