5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa with a limited

Limited Legend

Reaction score
Have been reading a lot of the threads regarding alpha. I see people adding features that the limited already has. Besides turning off lights and what not, what are the main benefits for the limited trims? Forgive me if this has been asked and answered. Just wondering if it's worth the spend? Thanks in advance!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First, it's called AlfaODB. Second, there isn't much you do unless you are adding things. There are a few things and there is thread that contains about a lot of it.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
You can use it for diagnostic purposes as well as adding options without going to the dealer to have them flash the computer for anywhere between $200 and $300 each time you want to add something, but you can royally screw things up if you don't know what you're doing. There's several threads about alfaobd

Limited Legend

Reaction score
You can use it for diagnostic purposes as well as adding options without going to the dealer to have them flash the computer for anywhere between $200 and $300 each time you want to add something, but you can royally screw things up if you don't know what you're doing. There's several threads about alfaobd
Thanks Rlaf, I've read a lot of the threads reharding AlfaOBD. I was just wondering if there was something specific a guy with a Limited would want it for. The diagnostic aspect for me is a wash as I already have code reader.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Thanks Rlaf, I've read a lot of the threads reharding AlfaOBD. I was just wondering if there was something specific a guy with a Limited would want it for. The diagnostic aspect for me is a wash as I already have code reader.
Certain "code readers" may not let you access all the vehicles computers. There are factory codes that can set that a code reader or some scan tools wont be able to read or clear. If you already have a limited then you probably don't need alfaobd unless you want to deactivate a certain feature or option but that would kind of defeat the purpose of buying the limited in the first place. You would be able to change the tire sizes if you ever decided to put bigger wheels and tires on

vincentw56

Reaction score
I know what's it called, I was asking what it can do for the Limited.
Like I said, there is a whole thread on it.

Limited Legend

Reaction score
Certain "code readers" may not let you access all the vehicles computers. There are factory codes that can set that a code reader or some scan tools wont be able to read or clear. If you already have a limited then you probably don't need alfaobd unless you want to deactivate a certain feature or option but that would kind of defeat the purpose of buying the limited in the first place. You would be able to change the tire sizes if you ever decided to put bigger wheels and tires on
Then it might be worth the purchase as I plan to put 26" rims on next summer. Appreciate your input.

Limited Legend

Reaction score

Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to read the alfaObd thread, see what all it can do, and decide for yourself if it's worth it for you. Nobody, other than yourself, can tell you if it's worth it. You may be better off with a Tazer since it has live functions that you can't get with alfaObd. But once again, you would have to read the list of features is offers and decide for yourself if what it offers is worth it to you

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First, it's called AlfaODB. Second, there isn't much you do unless you are adding things. There are a few things and there is thread that contains about a lot of it.
You do realize autocorrect changes it to alpha for most people

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I get what you're asking, you want somebody to read all 86 plus pages of the thread for you and summarize it in a nutshell specifically for your vehicle so you don't have to do any work or critcal thinking for yourself.
Lucky for you, I'm in an enabling, although sarcastic, mood this morning with a full cup of coffee and no urgent want to do any real work myself.

Things I've done to my 2019 Limited with the AlfaOBD software, (since the truck comes with every option already installed).
- Checked and cleared trouble codes.
- Disabled my fog lights from cutting off with my high Beams.
- Enabled the DRL On/Off selection to appear in my Radio settings.
- Switched my DRL's to the upper Amber signal lamp.
- Enabled "lo/med/high" option for the heated steering wheel instead of just "why even bother/way to frickin hot".
- Calibrated my Speedo to larger tires.
- Enabled the off-road and performance pages in my radio, (haven't opened or looked at either since).
- enabled the input so I could add a front facing camera.

Honestly, I feel it was paid for with the tire calibration and the fact that it replaces any basic code reader. Everything else was just bonus although a few of these options are pretty big bonuses.

- Still waiting for somebody to figure out the Global Window option and then a bulletproof option to change the settings for the air suspension heights.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get what you're asking, you want somebody to read the entire thread for you and summarize it in a nutshell specifically for your vehicle so you don't have to do any work or critcal thinking for yourself.
Lucky for you, I'm in an enabling, (although sarcastic), mood this morning with a full cup of coffee and no urgent want to do any real work myself.

Things I've done to my 2019 Limited with the AlfaOBD software, (since the truck comes with every option already installed).
- Checked and cleared trouble codes.
- Enabled the DRL On/Off selection to appear in my Radio settings.
- Enabled "lo/med/high" option for the heated steering wheel instead of just "why even bother/way to frickin hot".
- Calibrated my Speedo to larger tires.
- Enabled the off-road and performance pages in my radio, (haven't opened or looked at either since).
- enabled the input so I could add a front facing camera.

Honestly, I feel it was paid for with the tire calibration and the fact that it replaces any basic code reader. Everything else was just bonus although a few of these options are pretty big bonuses.

- Still waiting for somebody to figure out the Global Window option and then a bulletproof option to change the settings for the air suspension heights.
Z-Automotive has the global up/down on the TazerDT, but it's a "live" function of the Tazer itself which means it has to be plugged in to work. Seems Ram has removed that ability from the 5th gen code, so nothing alfaObd can do about making it work

n8zcc

Reaction score

In fact, there are a lot of threads over several RAM forums but they all suffer from the same issues when trying to find something. Mixed model years, posts with undefined trim levels, 1500s and HDs integrated, then add in the difficulty with forum search tools and the amazing number of returned posts the search yields. It makes it all most impossible to find what you are looking for. I understand the difficulties in sorting this out and I've seen a few collect, publish, and share documents. I wish there was a better way of organizing the Alpha OBD tool's capabilities across models, years, and trims because it is truly an amazing tool to have.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I changed these too.
On 2022s off-road and performance pages only work on the drivers screen not the 12 inch but that's not the fault of Alfaodb

It's only like $50 for the app and $25 for the bypass module.
The amount of information it gives dwarfs code readers, I use Torque Pro and Bluedriver (for special codes like ABS) and Alfaodb gives more.

You also don't need to buy the app for any other Stellantis vehicles, and the bypass might be re-usable also.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I changed these too.
On 2022s off-road and performance pages only work on the drivers screen not the 12 inch but that's not the fault of Alfaodb

It's only like $50 for the app and $25 for the bypass module.
The amount of information it gives dwarfs code readers, I use Torque Pro and Bluedriver (for special codes like ABS) and Alfaodb gives more.

You also don't need to buy the app for any other Stellantis vehicles, and the bypass might be re-usable also.
I much prefer torque pro for reading codes and monitoring sensors. I don't think alfaObd can do realt time readouts for sensors. But I also have a Snap-On Solus Pro if I want to get real serious. I used that to adjust the ABS computer in my 00 Dakota for different tire sizes

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I like this topic as I also have a Limited with uconnect5 and am thinking of buying the WAY MORE expensive Tazer DT or the alfa obd.

Cause what I always realize is that, once you set the options you like, you don't need it anymore. Except with the live functions of the Tazer DT, and I also notice that the Tazer is more actively updated and adds functions.

Out of my head I want to have the
mirrors folded in and out when locking/unlocking (or starting/stopping) the vehicle
to have the fog lights on with the high beams
to keep the DRLs on while using the turn signals
to get rid of the vehicle in motion message. I can not even adjust anything on my Waze app when in motion.
to roll windows down/up with the keyfob
to have the brake hold function at traffic lights

maybe I forget things but will I need the Tazer DT for this or can all be done with the cheaper Alfa OBD?

vincentw56

Reaction score
I like this topic as I also have a Limited with uconnect5 and am thinking of buying the WAY MORE expensive Tazer DT or the alfa obd.

Cause what I always realize is that, once you set the options you like, you don't need it anymore. Except with the live functions of the Tazer DT, and I also notice that the Tazer is more actively updated and adds functions.

mirrors folded in and out when locking/unlocking (or starting/stopping) the vehicle
to get rid of the vehicle in motion message. I can not even adjust anything on my Waze app when in motion.

maybe I forget things but will I need the Tazer DT for this or can all be done with the cheaper Alfa OBD?
NEITHER will allow you to make changes to Waze while driving. TazerDT will only allow you to make changes to the in-built NAV. Waze is part of Android Auto and cannot be controlled by TazerDT.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Everything you have listed, except the Waze in motion can be done with the TazerDT. alfaObd can not give you global up/down in windows, or brake hold.

Users who are viewing this thread