5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alfa OBD - Truck 'configuration' changed?

BritinMN

Reaction score
Hi!
My 'new to me' 2019 Limited has the (what appears to be common) air suspension 'lean',..... So I hooked up my Alfa OBD and EX USB cable to my Windows PC, just like I had done on my last Ram, and decided I would just take a quick peek at some live data to see what the system thought were the various values for the suspension....

Oh boy - was that a mistake!

I was able to connect to the suspension module, checked for faults (there were none), so I moved on to the Active Diagnostic tab... found a test that said 'Component Air Mass/Pressure/Ride Height Readings' ...... aha!! Just what I need I thought.. and it's only going to 'read' the values! I 'started' the task..... it just sat there doing nothing... after a few minutes I hit stop.
This gave me the in the dash display 'Air suspension inactive' message and the lights not he suspension height adjustment were all flashing. Tried unplugging the battery overnight etc. .. nope still there this morning.

This morning I was able to find the suspension had gone into 'plant' mode, so I used the 'get out of In-Plant mode' diagnostic - that got the suspension gods back on my side, the inactive message went away and suspension flashing lights stopped...... But.....

It seems that all kinds of configuration settings have changed....... It's like it has forgotten it is a Limited!! Examples
In dash screen still has the 'Limited' splash screen when you power up... but when you get the data up on the screen the fonts are different i.e. not the weird 'Limited' font, but back to what I was used to seeing in my Laramie ....
The Radio screen (it is a limited so it has the big one) has lost/reconfigured a bunch of things.... Passenger side seat heating/ventilation has disappeared. In 'Settings' the Suspension button has disappeared.... no longer any setting for the powered running boards etc......a bunch of the default apps have changed/gone.

Of course I hadn't created a backup file of ANYTHING as it was the first time I have used it on this truck and was not looking to do anything other than LOOK at values....... Any experts on here seen anything like this before? Any thoughts/Ideas on how to get everything back to the truck knowing it is a LIMITED and has all these belts and whistles??
I totally get managing to mess stuff up if I was in there actively changing parameters..... but boy, this seemingly 'innocent' task of trying to look at values has scared the crap out of me!!

Any suggestions/insights would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!

BritinMN

Reaction score
Ok - to post a quick update just in case others find themselves with this issue.....
After 'exploring' in Alfa OBD for 4 hours this morning, including 2 drive cycles, I still was making zero progress on getting anything 'back' that I had lost.
Truck was parked outside - I came in the house, researched online for another 1 1/2 hours... not finding anything.
15 minutes after posting, I go back out to my truck as I have to go pick up my son..... looks like EVERYTHING is back and working how it should be!!!
Not sure why, not sure how.... but it looks 100% back to realizing it is a Limited again, and with all the features.
Not sure I have the balls to mess with it again.... well until next weekend at least ;)

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You said you unhooked the battery overnight. Sometimes it takes several hours for all settings to return after unhooking battery.

BritinMN

Reaction score
You said you unhooked the battery overnight. Sometimes it takes several hours for all settings to return after unhooking battery.
Gotcha - thanks. Yes I unhooked the battery overnight a) to make sure all modules were powered down, and b) so I could the battery on a charger to make sure it had plenty of juice for having the ignition on but not running for today's 'fun'!!

But, lesson learned, a) do a backup of the vehicle config regardless..... b) when 'functions' disappear, be patient!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/