5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Album Art for Ripped Music - Solution

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More often than not, album art refused to appear on my Uconnect screen for music I had ripped from CD or other source and put on a thumb drive even though the album art may sometimes be visible through other application like windows media player. Even if I had windows media play update the tag, it still would not show on Uconnect.

I recently ripped all my CDs to lossless FLAC format for higher quality and almost none of the album art was transferred.

I found using the application MP3tag to update the cover art tag on the files solved the issue.

Just open the directory where your digital music is located in MP3tag, select the songs you wish to add the proper cover art tag, right click and select "Tag Sources/Cover Art/Discogs..." to locate the proper cover art update the tags. I think I had to create a Discogs account to use their album art but it was free. The default cover art search is by album name, but if it's a common name like "Greatest Hits" you will need to search by artist an album.

There may be an easier solution but this worked 100% for me and it took me about an hour to update 200 albums.

1.jpg

Dan Houle

Reaction score
More often than not, album art refused to appear on my Uconnect screen for music I had ripped from CD or other source and put on a thumb drive even though the album art may sometimes be visible through other application like windows media player. Even if I had windows media play update the tag, it still would not show on Uconnect.

I recently ripped all my CDs to lossless FLAC format for higher quality and almost none of the album art was transferred.

I found using the application MP3tag to update the cover art tag on the files solved the issue.

Just open the directory where your digital music is located in MP3tag, select the songs you wish to add the proper cover art tag, right click and select "Tag Sources/Cover Art/Discogs..." to locate the proper cover art update the tags. I think I had to create a Discogs account to use their album art but it was free. The default cover art search is by album name, but if it's a common name like "Greatest Hits" you will need to search by artist an album.

There may be an easier solution but this worked 100% for me and it took me about an hour to update 200 albums.

View attachment 170219
Hey bud, kinda sorta related. I just made a post about my 2022 Ram not reading WMA files, but reads MP3’s fine. I use the USB 1 with a thumb drive from music I ripped from my own cd’s. Kind of aggravating TBH. Maybe user error on my part. 😂 Any advice besides re ripping the cd’s? I could covert the WMA back to MP3 using Media Monkey, but you lose a lot of quality. TIA.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never tried ripping to WMA because it's lower sound quality than MP3 or any other format media player will support.

My truck plays FLAC files which is a lossless format that's higher quality than WMA or MP3.

Not sure how many CDs you have but I would re-rip the CDs in FLAC format. Your 22 is probably no different than my 23, but you might want to test the FLAC files before ripping all your CDs. In the last few weeks I've ripped 151 CDs.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
I've never tried ripping to WMA because it's lower sound quality than MP3 or any other format media player will support.

My truck plays FLAC files which is a lossless format that's higher quality than WMA or MP3.

Not sure how many CDs you have but I would re-rip the CDs in FLAC format. Your 22 is probably no different than my 23, but you might want to test the FLAC files before ripping all your CDs. In the last few weeks I've ripped 151 CDs.

The crazy thing is some are in MP3’s & some are in WMA, but I don’t remember ripping them in anything other than mp3 format. Only thing I can think is some how my computer converted them from mp3 to WMA? I have ALOT of CD’s in the 1,000’s. 😂 I will look into it. I saw your response on my other thread, much appreciated, I definitely look into it. 👍

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven’t ripped a cd in a really long time, but I think I used media monkey to organize everything.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I've messed with the various formats in the past but I've stayed with variable encoded MP3s. In the truck with all the ambient noise, I could not hear the difference.

About the album art the OP was referencing, it can be stored within the MP3 file but unless you instruct the ripper to do that it won't. Seeing album art on a device that has internet access means the player accessed the art off the internet.

I use a product called MediaMonkey to manage my music collection. I've embedded my MP3s with the album art and the lyrics.

I've used MP3tag, it was my goto for making wholesale MP3 tag changes before MediaMonkey had the ability.

Users who are viewing this thread