5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AJT Key Fob Case users. ****Read this*****

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you are one of those who bought the AJT Key Fob case

Please make sure you follow this. The instructions from AJT do not include a very important part. This bit me in the *** over the weekend when I was unable to start my truck after the fob battery died. Inside the factory fob case is a RFID chip that must be transfered to the AJT case. There is no mention of this from AJT. This chip is the only way you will be able to start the truck should the fob die. I'm guessing my fob battery had just enough juice to unlock my doors, but then couldn't start it. without that chip, pushing the fob against the start/stop button doesn't do anything. I confirmed this by removing the chip from my factory fob, which required cutting the factory fob, because it's glued in. Then went to my truck, with all fobs in my house, and with just the chip pushing on the start/stop button the truck started.

Picture of the chip in factory fob case PXL_20230925_203037179~2.jpg

Picture of chip removed and damaged to factory case
PXL_20230925_204501797.jpg

Picture of chip in the slot in the AJT case, I can only assume was.mesnt for the chip. Even though AJT instructions make zero mention of this PXL_20230925_204723470.jpg

DeanM2

Reaction score
Can't really see how you go the chip out of the OEM case. You say you cut the OEM case, but it does not look cut. Can you please provide a bit more detail as to how you go the chip out. And from that experience, is there any chance of putting it back into the OEM case, should you want to go back to the OEM case?
In your pictures, the RFID chip looks likes its encapsulated in plastic and therefore a bit protected. Is that correct?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't really see how you go the chip out of the OEM case. You say you cut the OEM case, but it does not look cut. Can you please provide a bit more detail as to how you go the chip out. And from that experience, is there any chance of putting it back into the OEM case, should you want to go back to the OEM case?
In your pictures, the RFID chip looks likes its encapsulated in plastic and therefore a bit protected. Is that correct?
Yes, it is a bit protected. As far as getting it out of the case, I tried using some small jewlers screwdrivers to pry it out, but it wasn't happening. Went out to garage and grabbed a razor blade and pushed it down the sides to break the glue on the sides, and cut the ends of the little pocket it was sitting in. Still couldn't get it pried up. Then took some flush cut wire cutters and started to cut the side of the little pocket it was sitting in. Got one end removed and was able to get screwdriver underneath the chip and finally popped loose. You may have to clean up some of the glue off the sides of chip to fit it in the slot of AJT case as it just fits inside.

DeanM2

Reaction score
I just looked at my 2023 OEM keyfob. It does not have the RFID shown in the picture, so I am guessing that is no longer a "feature".

Reaction score
Yes, it is a bit protected. As far as getting it out of the case, I tried using some small jewlers screwdrivers to pry it out, but it wasn't happening. Went out to garage and grabbed a razor blade and pushed it down the sides to break the glue on the sides, and cut the ends of the little pocket it was sitting in. Still couldn't get it pried up. Then took some flush cut wire cutters and started to cut the side of the little pocket it was sitting in. Got one end removed and was able to get screwdriver underneath the chip and finally popped loose. You may have to clean up some of the glue off the sides of chip to fit it in the slot of AJT case as it just fits inside.
Thanks for the posts. Sadly I no longer have original fob case with the chip in it. I suppose only solution now is to put extra battery in the console and when/if the fob battery dies, I can change it out. Really wish I would have known about this when I got the fob from AJT. I imagine there are others in the same boat. If anybody has a better idea please let me know.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts. Sadly I no longer have original fob case with the chip in it. I suppose only solution now is to put extra battery in the console and when/if the fob battery dies, I can change it out. Really wish I would have known about this when I got the fob from AJT. I imagine there are others in the same boat. If anybody has a better idea please let me know.
Extra batteries in the console are the best insurance. I always have spares just for that reason.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I kept my original fob cases. They don't take up much space, and can swap them back if zi ever decide to sell the truck

Users who are viewing this thread