5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aisin regrets ???????

ISB6.7

Reaction score
No, the transmission has been flawless, but let me explain. I ordered my current truck in the fall of 2014, 3500. 4x4 crew cab, 6.4 box, SRW, Cummins/Aisin, Snow chief. Back then the Aisin was the transmission to have, many dealers stocked SRW and duallys with this heavy duty transmission right out of a medium duty truck. My thought at the time this would be a tough transmission with no problems and should be an asset for resale. Was I ever wrong!!! I would like to get a new gen 4 as I do like the trucks and before they are gone, so I checked with three local dealers, none of them would give any premium for the Aisin, these are some of the reasons, 1- We have had customers drive them both and can't tell the difference. 2- You ordered your truck wrong, you will never use the Aisin's limits on a SRW truck as it can't tow that much legally, and I was shown a Ram towing guide that shows the Aisin towing 200 lbs. Less because of it's weight. Also they only order Aisins in dual rear wheel 3500's where customers demand that transmission. 3- We can't give you any more if it isn't in the guides that the banks use for options, we won't get our customers financed. So my $2700 grew wings, (only $1600 for Aisins for our cab and chassis friends). Even my argument for Snow chief and Aisin for HD snow plowing fell on deaf ears. My next truck will be a g56, as 90% of our trucks are manuals. ( only 12k warranty on the disk and dual mass) but I will take my chances. As the Aisin it is a fine transmission, mine always has it's 30k service, (oil-oil/filter- oil, ect.) I do have one more suggestion is to look into a Ram extended service contract for 5/100k mile that would be about the price of a Aisin, and have everything covered on your truck with the standard automatic and it can be transfered, Trade before the 5 year warranty runs out for no problems, this might be a better option than the Aisin and waving $2700 goodby and getting the same trade value as the standard automatic or g56. (However if you are going to keep your truck forever there is still no better choice than the Aisin in my opinion as many have over 300k miles with no problems. It just depends on long we keep our trucks and what makes most sense.)

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it really depends on how a customer looks at it. For me personally I wouldn't buy a 3500 without the Aisin. It's been known to be dead nuts reliable and is the only way to get the Cummins paired with the HO Cummins. I actually test drove a 2018 3500 SRW Laramie Sport with the Aisin a few weeks ago and it has me really thinking about waiting for the HDs.

Users who are viewing this thread