5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airlift 5000 help

SCA

Reaction score
I had the Airlift 5000 kit installed on my truck yesterday. After towing my travel trailer a few hundred miles over some bad California roads, I felt this was the way to go. However, now the ride, even with the bags at zero PSI is beyond rough. It's like one ton dually rough. Has anyone else had the same issue?

Essbaum

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. They shouldn't really change your ride at low pressure. I keep mine at 5psi and it rides like stock.

SCA

Reaction score
Man, I sent photographs to AirLift and everything looks perfect. The ride is horrible. Sucks, because the bump stop holders or whatever they are called are now cut out.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Did you get the bags with the internal bump stops (jounce bumpers)? I’ve read and heard countless people saying the ride quality of the bags with the jounce bumpers in them suck (for any truck, not just the rams)

Essbaum

Reaction score
Did you get the bags with the internal bump stops (jounce bumpers)? I’ve read and heard countless people saying the ride quality of the bags with the jounce bumpers in them suck (for any truck, not just the rams)
I was going to say this. I believe mine are without the internal bump stops. I have read others on here complaining about the bump stops.

You didn't change anything else at the same time, like tires?

SCA

Reaction score
I was going to say this. I believe mine are without the internal bump stops. I have read others on here complaining about the bump stops.

You didn't change anything else at the same time, like tires?
No, just added the bags. No bump stops. It is back at the shop that installed them right now. I told them to take them out and weld the bump stops back in. I'll stick with timbrens.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I had Firestone bags on my last truck and liked them. I see Airlift has an in coil light duty for our trucks. Did you look at those. Curious why you chose the 5000 vs 1000 (in coil).

SCA

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I had Firestone bags on my last truck and liked them. I see Airlift has an in coil light duty for our trucks. Did you look at those. Curious why you chose the 5000 vs 1000 (in coil).
The coil ones just looked cheap IMO. I wanted something that would last as long as I had the truck. My travel trailer has a tongue weight of about 900 lbs. Even with the WDH, it squatted and did not ride well. I think maybe I was expecting too much. Having a truck that rides like the Ram and tows well.

Essbaum

Reaction score
Still seems like there was something wrong with the install or the parts. Anyway, hope you get it all sorted out.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Rock solid, no cutting, no drilling. They clamp onto the bump stop holder, so don't know how well that'd work with them welded back in.
Been reading. This looks like the way I will probably go. Thanks for posting. I wasn't even aware of them. Are you happy with the Wireless One.

Sorry. Hope I'm not threadjacking.

Otto

Reaction score
I had the 5000s on my Frontier and with the recommended 5 lb of pressure in them it made the rear end feel like a damn pogo stick. When loaded they worked great, but with the bad empty it felt bouncy as hell. Went with the Timbrens that replace the factory jounce stops.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had Firestones on a Frontier and really liked them, but their site says no to Rebel.

SCA

Reaction score
I had the 5000s on my Frontier and with the recommended 5 lb of pressure in them it made the rear end feel like a damn pogo stick. When loaded they worked great, but with the bad empty it felt bouncy as hell. Went with the Timbrens that replace the factory jounce stops.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
This was my experience. It felt like I had one inch of suspension travel.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been reading. This looks like the way I will probably go. Thanks for posting. I wasn't even aware of them. Are you happy with the Wireless One.

Sorry. Hope I'm not threadjacking.
The Wireless One is ok. It tends to over inflate a bit, but it's nice not having to hold a button down to inflate the bags. In my Titan I had a manual compressor with just the needle gauge. It gave me more control over the PSI, but it was annoying holding the button down. I lost connection to my phone, but I really only use the remote that comes with it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/