5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air suspension

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any issues with air suspension on 5th gens in cold climates?

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Been through one South Dakota winter so far. Coldest it got was around -20, if I recall correctly, not counting wind chill. No issues so far.

Not as cold as some of the Canadian winters though, and when you order a Canadian Ram, they give you the option to delete the air suspension, even on higher trim levels. There is a reason for that. In the deep, long cold of the great white north, air suspension is not recommended.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been through one South Dakota winter so far. Coldest it got was around -20, if I recall correctly, not counting wind chill. No issues so far.

Not as cold as some of the Canadian winters though, and when you order a Canadian Ram, they give you the option to delete the air suspension, even on higher trim levels. There is a reason for that. In the deep, long cold of the great white north, air suspension is not recommended.
Thx. I may or may not take delivery on the 2021 order that has arrived at the dealer. They haven't been great to work with since it arrived. And 2022s have Uconnect5 (thought it would be 2023 when ordered) and didn't know Limiteds had air suspension standard until a month ago.

May keep the 2020 and order a Longhorn in a year or two.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't seen that there have been a lot of issues with the system on DT models. I've read that they redesigned it for the 5th gens after so many people had issues with it on 4th gens. It rarely gets below 0 degrees farenheit where I live, so I'm comfortable with having air suspension on my trucks. Not sure I'd be as comfortable with it if I lived where it gets really cold though.

LHarv

Reaction score
I've now been through 2 winters with my 19' Limited on air. I'm in Canada and get temps down to - 25f regularly during winter and sometimes weeks in close to - 40f. I've had no issues whatsoever. Don't think I'd buy a non air suspension truck now. It's fantastic.

I know they completely redesigned the air suspension in the 5th gen models because of many troubles in the 4th Gen's. So don't compare their experiences with the new ones.
I've gone ahead and added 2 more years of factory warranty on the slight chance I need a new compressor, etc because I know it could get expensive and I like to have piece of mind. But I'm at 43,000km or 27,000m and no issues thus far.

Hope this helps.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
Garage seems to help in the winter. Mine does give the "suspension cooling down please wait" about 1/4th of the time.

river rat

Reaction score
Can't help ya with cold, but in heat around 100* with 95% humidity, it works just fine.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Any issues with air suspension on 5th gens in cold climates?
It's safe to say that the cold issues with AS from the prior generation trucks have been resolved.
I had zero issues with mine, even in 16 deg temps when we had the Texas big freeze last Feb.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I will find out this winter living in Minnesota, I travel in Northern Mn, UP Michigan and Canada.
As long as I can drive it no problems since I have Lifetime bumper to bumper.
Tom

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air Suspension is a must have IMO. Buy MaxCare if you’re worried about it
I will find out this winter living in Minnesota, I travel in Northern Mn, UP Michigan and Canada.
As long as I can drive it no problems since I have Lifetime bumper to bumper.
Tom

Where did you get lifetime bumper to bumper coverage?

66Fuelie

Reaction score
When I bought my new Ram the dealer offered a lifetime warranty thru CNA.
I have had excellent service from CNA on my last three trucks.
CNA is only offered thru dealers.
Tom

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Garage seems to help in the winter. Mine does give the "suspension cooling down please wait" about 1/4th of the time.
My '19 Limited lives outdoors full time. Too big to fit in the garage. :p Knock on wood, no issues so far.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, not really an issue. I got my deposit refunded today for the Limited. Will keep the Laramie for now and in a year or two am likely to order a Laramie SW edition from Mark Dodge and get it shipped (if they are still giving good deals and treating people right). Would order one now if you could get blind spot on it.

Oilers1632

Reaction score
I've now been through 2 winters with my 19' Limited on air. I'm in Canada and get temps down to - 25f regularly during winter and sometimes weeks in close to - 40f. I've had no issues whatsoever. Don't think I'd buy a non air suspension truck now. It's fantastic.

I know they completely redesigned the air suspension in the 5th gen models because of many troubles in the 4th Gen's. So don't compare their experiences with the new ones.
I've gone ahead and added 2 more years of factory warranty on the slight chance I need a new compressor, etc because I know it could get expensive and I like to have piece of mind. But I'm at 43,000km or 27,000m and no issues thus far.

Hope this helps.
Is your air suspension still working good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online